Options

Are any zelebs/celebs/stars above criticism?

artlesschaosartlesschaos Posts: 11,345
Forum Member
✭✭
Are there any famous people who are considered untouchable anymore?

I know that most have their fans who will not hear a word against the object of their affections, but I can't think of anyone that doesn't come in for some criticism, in some form.

Comments

• Options
    big brother 9big brother 9 Posts: 18,153
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Beckham.......In my eyes.
  • Options
    starkitten1982starkitten1982 Posts: 373
    Forum Member
    David Attenborough and Tom Hanks.
  • Options
    Jim_McIntoshJim_McIntosh Posts: 5,866
    Forum Member
    No one's infallible and that's a good thing. Some people are more revered than others though (like De Niro and Streep) whereas others are further down the ladder and ripe for any jokes or jibes.

National treasure is a funny phrase that gets wheeled out a lot whenever someone who has been in the public eye for a while is a guest on a show. Who would want to be a national treasure? It's a phrase that is just asking for trouble and scandal.
  • Options
    NotaTypoNotaTypo Posts: 4,253
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I know that most have their fans who will not hear a word against the object of their affections, but I can't think of anyone that doesn't come in for some criticism, in some form.
    On this forum I can certainly think of One!:p If the name even gets mentioned, things happen!!:o
  • Options
    dodradedodrade Posts: 23,861
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Maybe not quite what you mean, but no one seems to have a bad word to say about Michael Palin.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,170
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    NotaTypo wrote: »
    On this forum I can certainly think of One!:p If the name even gets mentioned, things happen!!:o
    You don't mean :o chicken legs :o
  • Options
    artlesschaosartlesschaos Posts: 11,345
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    dodrade wrote: »
    Maybe not quite what you mean, but no one seems to have a bad word to say about Michael Palin.

I have been reading a book about "Old Hollywood" and how much they were able to keep hidden from the public in order to maintain public image. Some stars were, literally, untouchable. Discounting support from fanaticals, I cannot think of anyone who has that level of protection nowadays.

Michael Palin does seem like a genuinely decent bloke.
    Also agree with the "National Treasure" thing - Cheryl and Kelly Brook have both been given that tag in recent weeks...really? That is the best that this nation has produced?
  • Options
    Aurora13Aurora13 Posts: 30,246
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    David Attenborough / Joanna Lumley.
  • Options
    NotaTypoNotaTypo Posts: 4,253
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have been reading a book about "Old Hollywood" and how much they were able to keep hidden from the public in order to maintain public image. Some stars were, literally, untouchable. Discounting support from fanaticals, I cannot think of anyone who has that level of protection nowadays.

Also agree with the "National Treasure" thing - Cheryl and Kelly Brook have both been given that tag in recent weeks...really? That is the best that this nation has produced?
    Yuk. Since when was slapping people something to admire? They're clothes horses with minimal real talent but maximum talent for self promotion, nothing worth treasuring.
  • Options
    dorydaryldorydaryl Posts: 15,927
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

...and a very depressing prospect, if they're who people are 'expected' to revere. Ugh!
  • Options
    boddismboddism Posts: 16,436
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Joanna Lumley
  • Options
    BelaBela Posts: 2,568
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Ugh. Just... ugh. I hate that 'national treasure' thing because it so rarely is used to describe those who truly deserve that badge and has been so grimly cheapened by the likes of the above.

I do think there are untouchables (I can think of quite a few) but their 'untouchability' is very much to do with them, as individuals, their talents, their professionalism and the way they live their lives, and very little to do with celebrity itself.

My untouchables would be (very very randomly and off the top of my head!) eg. Jeff Bridges, Annie Lennox, Julie Walters, Alan Bennett and, as mentioned earlier, Joanna Lumley, David Attenborough. All have an inate decency and goodness in common.
  • Options
    Babe RainbowBabe Rainbow Posts: 34,349
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Probably lots of them - the ones that don't get paid by the celebrity magazines every time they fart.

They're probably not "untouchable" - just they don't do anything worth slagging them off for.
  • Options
    Scarlett BerryScarlett Berry Posts: 21,135
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Nobody that puts themselves into the public domain should be above criticism, that is, if it is warranted.

Off the top of my head, I would say George Clooney seems to be untouchable and fawned over by the press and fans alike. (Can't see the appeal at all myself)

As for the ridiculous "national treasure" title, it's just downright silly. One can have affection for a particular person in the public domain, but to give them a moniker of National Treasure is just plain silly... and usually accredited to those that least deserve it.
  • Options
    Poppy99_PoppyPoppy99_Poppy Posts: 2,255
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Aurora13 wrote: »
    David Attenborough / Joanna Lumley.

Agree. Prof Brian Cox is fast on his way too.
  • Options
    SuperAPJSuperAPJ Posts: 10,402
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Beyoncé and Jay-Z. Ugh.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,486
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Harry Redknapp
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,899
    Forum Member

Beckham does get criticised especially by most Daily Mail readers.
  • Options
    QuixoticQuixotic Posts: 668
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Aurora13 wrote: »
    Joanna Lumley.

She does come across as a very nice, friendly and well-mannered lady. I certainly wouldn't mind waking up next to her, especially if she said good morning to me in that posh accent ;-)
  • Options
    pollipolli Posts: 2,180
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Everyone gets criticised . Even the queen of england/pope/elvis ,lol , such is life .
    It's easy for us all to dislike/like on simple instincts , or because he/she disrespected someone we revere , but blind items and people in the same field , be it sports/TV/pop/media usually manage to winkle out and unmask anyone with unsavoury characteristics worth criticising . That's one of the joys and advantages of social media .:)
    So no , no one is untouchable .
  • Options
    CFCJM1CFCJM1 Posts: 2,065
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bob Geldof seems to be revered in the press. Mind you I like the guy too and I think part of the reason is his ability to be so real about his feelings and struggles to cope with the tragedies he has faced.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    polli wrote: »
    Everyone gets criticised . Even the queen of england/pope/elvis ,lol , such is life .
    It's easy for us all to dislike/like on simple instincts , or because he/she disrespected someone we revere , but blind items and people in the same field , be it sports/TV/pop/media usually manage to winkle out and unmask anyone with unsavoury characteristics worth criticising . That's one of the joys and advantages of social media .:)
    So no , no one is untouchable .

Seriously where and when have you seen David Attenborough criticised? As for the Queen she gets criticised for what she represents.
  • Options
    Blondie XBlondie X Posts: 28,662
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Why? He's only a footballer.

And funny that he's seen as above criticism and yet it's often open season on his wife for any abuse going
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Blondie X wrote: »
    Why? He's only a footballer.

And funny that he's seen as above criticism and yet it's often open season on his wife for any abuse going

He's not just read any comments on DM.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Agree. Prof Brian Cox is fast on his way too.

Ah yes. Another one I thought was heading that way a few years back was Stephen Fry but he seems to have fallen for his own publicity.