LBC General Chit-Chat (Part 21)

Comments

• HHGTTGHHGTTG Posts: 5,941
    Forum Member
    I was summoned thrice but used my Agoraphobia as extenuating circumstances. The last one was for the Old Bailey and I couldn't see how I could get there as I haven't been on a train or been to London since the late '60s. The idea terrified me an I would not have gone but would have been prepared to pay the £1000 fine.
  • Virgin QueenVirgin Queen Posts: 13,425
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    HHGTTG wrote: »
    I was summoned thrice but used my Agoraphobia as extenuating circumstances. The last one was for the Old Bailey and I couldn't see how I could get there as I haven't been on a train or been to London since the late '60s. The idea terrified me an I would not have gone but would have been prepared to pay the £1000 fine.

Well, that seems to have bought the chit-chat to a halt.
    Forum Member
    Well, that seems to have bought the chit-chat to a halt.

Excellent!
  • SouthCitySouthCity Posts: 12,300
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I notice that LBC News 1152 is a simulcast of LBC 97.3 today.

Are they permitted to do this because it's a bank holiday?
  • scrupulousscrupulous Posts: 333
    Forum Member
    James Whale banging his old, tired, overused drum about benefit scroungers.
    Instead of actually trying to learn a few real facts he just uses his preconceived ideas and accuses, with barely veiled contempt, the caller disagreeing with him of not understanding. Expressing doubt that people could possibly be avoiding tax and causing a greater shortfall.

Is there not a humane knackers' yard for presenters so badly beyond use?
    Forum Member
    scrupulous wrote: »
    Instead of actually trying to learn a few real facts he just uses his preconceived ideas and accuses, with barely veiled contempt, the caller disagreeing with him of not understanding. Expressing doubt that people could possibly be avoiding tax and causing a greater shortfall.

We all have our axes to grind! What's yours, then?
  • m06een00m06een00 Posts: 2,496
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    scrupulous wrote: »

That's LBC for you. Commercial radio's equivalent to the Daily Mail.
    Forum Member
    Far worse and really not comparable is that awful early morning junk paper hack, Nick Ferrari. Much rather listen to James Whale.
  • m06een00m06een00 Posts: 2,496
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    NF is equally vile. Fortunately there are better alternative talk radio progs competing at that time. But both are 2 incorrigible blinkered peas in the same right wing pod afaic. You can add in newbie Ian Collins as well. That makes it 3 peas.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 413
    Forum Member
    Ooh - I think I just heard Clive Bull's voice.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,678
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think I just saw a post from reasonableman! Hello Stranger!
  • Charlie DrakeCharlie Drake Posts: 3,389
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    According to James Whale, France now has a woman President (Francoise Hollande). That was a quick change!

I agree about the rather unrelenting right wing slant on LBC (and the media in general) - today being no exception. This has often been mentioned before, however, so I suppose we should all be used to it by now.

As has also been said before - thank heaven for the light and shade. I've often thought that we Brits do humour and irony better than we do politics.

Amazingly, this evening, James seemed to be shifting his stance somewhat and was wondering if perhaps austerity measures are not working. Hmmm...Plan B anyone?
  • Crawley CutieCrawley Cutie Posts: 10,929
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    m06een00 wrote: »
    NF is equally vile. Fortunately there are better alternative talk radio progs competing at that time. But both are 2 incorrigible blinkered peas in the same right wing pod afaic. You can add in newbie Ian Collins as well. That makes it 3 peas.

I enjoyed Ian Collins today. An entertaining presenter - more stand- in's, please... Are you listening JR2 ??? :rolleyes:

I don't consider NF, "vile" - a bit rapid, perhaps :eek: Overall, an informative breakfast show. Not, being a political animal - I often get lost amongst all these left/right political innuendos. :confused:

NB. I would despise Jacqui Smith, whatever her political persuasion.

James Whale, today - talked commonsense !

Clive is on now - I hear his voice & still want to climb into bed. :o
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,678
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    According to James Whale, France now has a woman President (Francoise Hollande). That was a quick change!

I agree about the rather unrelenting right wing slant on LBC (and the media in general) - today being no exception. This has often been mentioned before, however, so I suppose we should all be used to it by now.

As has also been said before - thank heaven for the light and shade. I've often thought that we Brits do humour and irony better than we do politics.

Amazingly, this evening, James seemed to be shifting his stance somewhat and was wondering if perhaps austerity measures are not working. Hmmm...Plan B anyone?

I've always had my doubts about James' level of intelligence; he's one of the very few presenters I make a point of never tuning in to. I just can't hack him. Thick as ****, I'm afraid.

I agree that there is a glut of right wing presenters at the station but I have to make the point that some are definitely more palatable than others: I have no time for the likes of NF and JW and yet Iain Dale is entirely listenable, and most definitely one of our most likeable. Which makes me wonder if personality is a deal-breaker for me and not anyone's political leaning.

I think there are a number of people questioning the heavy-handedness of the Tories, Charlie. Plan B indeed.
  • RadiomaniacRadiomaniac Posts: 43,510
    Forum Member
    Am I the only one here who couldn't give a 4X about the poitical leanings of any presenter?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 55
    Forum Member
    HHGTTG wrote: »
    Far worse and really not comparable is that awful early morning junk paper hack, Nick Ferrari. Much rather listen to James Whale.

My wife is pregnant and not sleeping so well (due date not very far away) I'm awake at 4am and I've caught that poor excuse of a presenter Steve Allan, some of the guff he comes away with very close to the bone.
    I guess that's why he has the early show :confused:
  • Charlie DrakeCharlie Drake Posts: 3,389
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Am I the only one here who couldn't give a 4X about the poitical leanings of any presenter?

That's your prerogative, of course, but...

Politics affect all of us.

Bias in the media also affects all of us because it influences how we vote, how we feel about our government and how we interact with each other - whether we realise it or not.

This manifests itself in choice of topic and the filtering and presentation of information (sometimes misinformation) in order to reinforce pre-conceived ideas.

The way we vote (or not) affects the government we deserve.

The government we deserve affects practically every aspect of our daily lives - and the lives of others.

This is a prerogative for which brave, frightened, desperate people have fought and died.

I think you should give as many X's as you can afford.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,048
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My wife is pregnant and not sleeping so well (due date not very far away) I'm awake at 4am and I've caught that poor excuse of a presenter Steve Allan, some of the guff he comes away with very close to the bone.

Interesting that on today's Bank Holiday Steve was still on air at 4am rather than something like 6am-10am and that they gave that gig to James Max...

I wonder whether just for a change it might be nice to have LC use a Bank Holiday for a more light touch and not be so heavy in what they cover?

I slept through most of both programmes as it was something like 3.30am when I went to bed. And approx 10am when I got up. I'm still coping with the loss of Mum...doing reasonably ok, I don't like it but I am trying to stay interested in things and keep my mind occupied.

And making myself do real meals rather than just something like beans on toast(which I am sure there is nothing wrong with)yesterday I did my forirst Sunday lunch for one and soon I am going to do baked beans, tomatoes, bacon, sausauge, egg and mushrooms.

I'm going to try and watch to programmes I have found on tv(one about the old public information films we remember ITV1 10.15pm)and a film on Channel 4 at approx 3.15am about the US sitcom "The Honeymooners"
  • RadiomaniacRadiomaniac Posts: 43,510
    Forum Member
    That's your prerogative, of course, but...

Politics affect all of us.

Bias in the media also affects all of us because it influences how we vote, how we feel about our government and how we interact with each other - whether we realise it or not.

This manifests itself in choice of topic and the filtering and presentation of information (sometimes misinformation) in order to reinforce pre-conceived ideas.

The way we vote (or not) affects the government we deserve.

The government we deserve affects practically every aspect of our daily lives - and the lives of others.

This is a prerogative for which brave, frightened, desperate people have fought and died.

I think you should give as many X's as you can afford.
    Well, sorry, but I don't. It's a radio station, there to entertain me, nothing more.

You're right that it's my prerogative though.
  • gurney-sladegurney-slade Posts: 29,655
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I haven't noticed a lot of right wing bias here, despite posters being regular LBC listeners. Perhaps we're exceptions to the rule and bright enough to make up our own minds. I should except myself because I'm obviously a Tory but I decided that for myself, not because I was influenced by Nick Ferrari or my daily newspaper. And I've enjoyed listening to James O'Brien for years without feeling the slightest urge to subscribe to The Guardian.
  • Shirley-HeightsShirley-Heights Posts: 7,296
    Forum Member
    Interesting that on today's Bank Holiday Steve was still on air at 4am rather than something like 6am-10am and that they gave that gig to James Max...

Gildy, I also noticed it when I read the schedule on the website. Steve usually does a later show over the BH weekends, but Management still kept him in his graveyard shift this time. Doesn't bode well...!!
  • MartinRosenMartinRosen Posts: 33,063
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Gildy, I also noticed it when I read the schedule on the website. Steve usually does a later show over the BH weekends, but Management still kept him in his graveyard shift this time. Doesn't bode well...!!

Could it be that James 'lost' his Saturday breakfast show?
  • jack pattersonjack patterson Posts: 1,029
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Oh he was quite interesting the other day talking about Margaret Rutherford.
    I sometime imagine Steve is at his desk in Margaret Rutherford attire- a nice sawtooth twin set , matching pearls and a big girl's blouse.
  • gurney-sladegurney-slade Posts: 29,655
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oh he was quite interesting the other day talking about Margaret Rutherford.
    I sometime imagine Steve is at his desk in Margaret Rutherford attire- a nice sawtooth twin set , matching pearls and a big girl's blouse.

He has problems tying shoelaces; I can't see him struggling into a pair of lisle stockings.
  • scrupulousscrupulous Posts: 333
    Forum Member
    I've always had my doubts about James' level of intelligence; he's one of the very few presenters I make a point of never tuning in to. I just can't hack him. Thick as ****, I'm afraid.

I agree that there is a glut of right wing presenters at the station but I have to make the point that some are definitely more palatable than others: I have no time for the likes of NF and JW and yet Iain Dale is entirely listenable, and most definitely one of our most likeable. Which makes me wonder if personality is a deal-breaker for me and not anyone's political leaning.

Absolutely agree with your first sentence - my tuning in tends to be more a case of passive not tuning out after earlier programmes.

Iain Dale may express opinions with which I disagree but I will always tune in. I don't actively avoid Julia Hartley Brewer - although her presentation and opinions grate, she does at least appear to have tried to acquire a bit of background knowledge when she tackles a subject.
This discussion has been closed.