LBC General Chit-Chat (Part 21)

SupportSupport Posts: 70,395
Administrator
keefjaxon wrote: »
NM Friday Night........Sweet!;)

Afternoon Everyone.:)

I'm sure some of the previous posts have been sliced out just now. I was reading through them.....then DS went a little odd....Now 2 pages are missing.:confused:

This thread is a continuation of: LBC General Chit-Chat (Part 20)

A number of posts have been removed from this thread. Please keep the discussion on-topic.

Comments

• RadiomaniacRadiomaniac Posts: 43,510
    Forum Member
    For a moment there, I thought the thread was a goner - we live on! I'm looking forward to Lord Abbot tonight!
  • radio ladyradio lady Posts: 527
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    This thread is a continuation of: LBC General Chit-Chat (Part 20)

A number of posts have been removed from this thread. Please keep the discussion on-topic.

Missing posts.

Talk about losing the thread!
    I cannot understand why so many posts were removed for no apparent reason other than somebody objecting to what was fairly innocuous ribbing!
    A little spark lights up more than a few dying embers and does nobody any harm - but I think the thread does suffer in the long term if too many pages are removed.

Now when it comes to removing some of the presenters on LBC - well that's a different matter!! In all the decades I have been listening to LBC I don't think the overnight presenters have ever reached the all-time low that I think has been reached now. I would rather listen to a power drill than NM and Christo is labouring badly and speaks so slowly that I for one lose the will to live.

Given the new boss's glowing tributes to JS however, he probably thinks both are doing sterling work.
  • ~Twinkle~~Twinkle~ Posts: 8,165
    Forum Member
    radio lady wrote: »
    Missing posts.

Talk about losing the thread!
    I cannot understand why so many posts were removed for no apparent reason other than somebody objecting to what was fairly innocuous ribbing!
    A little spark lights up more than a few dying embers and does nobody any harm - but I think the thread does suffer in the long term if too many pages are removed.

Now when it comes to removing some of the presenters on LBC - well that's a different matter!! In all the decades I have been listening to LBC I don't think the overnight presenters have ever reached the all-time low that I think has been reached now. I would rather listen to a power drill than NM and Christo is labouring badly and speaks so slowly that I for one lose the will to live.

Given the new boss's glowing tributes to JS however, he probably thinks both are doing sterling work.

Agree about the overnight slot but Cristo does make me smile, there's something about him that I find very endearing. As for NM, the less said about him, the better. :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,678
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ~Twinkle~ wrote: »
    Agree about the overnight slot but Cristo does make me smile, there's something about him that I find very endearing. As for NM, the less said about him, the better. :)

Cristo's not frightened of showing a little vulnerability, and does come across as a genuinely decent sort. He's never been a favourite of mine but I do tune in for very short bursts if I happen to wake through the night. He doesn't quite GRIP me though.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,048
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Too late to obviously ask what I missed :p:D:rolleyes::)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,678
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

It's not you, Gildersleeve. I've been following the thread today, for a change, and even I think I'm living in a parallel universe.
  • clitheroe1clitheroe1 Posts: 4,155
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I even had a post removed in which I just asked "why have a bunch of posts been removed?"

Read this one quickly before it's also removed :D
  • North DownsNorth Downs Posts: 2,470
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I only get on here in the evening. I was wondering the same.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,929
    Forum Member
    I was pleasantly surprised to hear James Whale being very compassionate towards those employed in the emergency services and armed forces during the first hour today.

Good job I had my seat belt on or I'd have fallen from my car when he suggested a fund be raised to help these people with post traumatic shock caused by their jobs. I found myself agreeing with him after the tragedy of PC Rathbone. It was just a shock as I've never heard JW in favour of spending money on anything.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,856
    Forum Member
    Don't be so sensitive. We all had posts removed this morning. You weren't singled out for special treatment. Why don't you tell us what else you like about LBC besides Steve Allen? Let's get back to normal, FGS.

Crickey, Easy now! I only discovered this radio forum last night as I was bored. It looked OK, but on revisiting it tonight, it seems to be as bitchy as the Big Brother one. I'd better exit right/left now. Given that I'm a long standing Steve Allen fan, I wouldn't want to be accused of being sensitive if I felt it necessary to post a comment in his favour.:confused:
  • gurney-sladegurney-slade Posts: 29,655
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Vincy82 wrote: »
    Crickey, Easy now! I only discovered this radio forum last night as I was bored. It looked OK, but on revisiting it tonight, it seems to be as bitchy as the Big Brother one. I'd better exit right/left now. Given that I'm a long standing Steve Allen fan, I wouldn't want to be accused of being sensitive if I felt it necessary to post a comment in his favour.:confused:

You've caught the tail end of a long discussion about thread etiquette, most of which was removed this afternoon. It would make a change to have comments in favour of Steve Allen. He needs a champion on here. Just don't throw a hissy fit when somebody posts something negative about him. :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oh dear, Nick ranting on about the overpriviliged rich. I shouldn't think he's too badly off himself, compared to a lot of people. He lives - or lived - in a beautiful place in Hampstead.
  • Richard1960Richard1960 Posts: 20,334
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oh dear, Nick ranting on about the overpriviliged rich. I shouldn't think he's too badly off himself, compared to a lot of people. He lives - or lived - in a beautiful place in Hampstead.

Yes he was on about how the wealthy buisiness owners were asking for the 50% tax rate to go and how could people manage on a mere £150,000:eek:.

Thought he did quite well in arguing it did not make much difference as if you were any good at business and had a good accontant you would not be paying it anyway.

One of the best NA shows i have heard in a while.
  • makeba72makeba72 Posts: 5,723
    Forum Member
    Yes he was on about how the wealthy buisiness owners were asking for the 50% tax rate to go and how could people manage on a mere £150,000:eek:.

Thought he did quite well in arguing it did not make much difference as if you were any good at business and had a good accontant you would not be paying it anyway.

One of the best NA shows i have heard in a while.

Yes, I particularly appreciated the call that pointed out someone on £200,000 only loses an extra £5,000 (or 0.4% of their overall salary) under the 50% tax rate, as they would have been paying 40% on it anyway. Hardly breaking their backs, is it?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    makeba72 wrote: »
    Yes, I particularly appreciated the call that pointed out someone on £200,000 only loses an extra £5,000 (or 0.4% of their overall salary) under the 50% tax rate, as they would have been paying 40% on it anyway. Hardly breaking their backs, is it?

Can make a vital difference if you're trying to keep a small business going.

Morning all. :)
  • makeba72makeba72 Posts: 5,723
    Forum Member
    Can make a vital difference if you're trying to keep a small business going.

Morning all. :)

I think that's complete rubbish. Sorry to be so strong about it, but it is. As Nick A and callers pointed out, people who own the business aren't affected by that tax anyway (as they have different ways to pay themselves that largely avoids PAYE) and people on that kind of salary in an existing business are being paid that ANYWAY by the company, so it has not effect whatsoever on the business' income.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think that's complete rubbish. Sorry to be so strong about it, but it is. As Nick A and callers pointed out, people who own the business aren't affected by that tax anyway (as they have different ways to pay themselves that largely avoids PAYE) and people on that kind of salary in an existing business are being paid that ANYWAY by the company, so it has not effect whatsoever on the business' income.

If you say so.

(I've given up annoying the mods by arguing) ;)
  • Radio-ActiveRadio-Active Posts: 1,161
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't think he lives there now, there was an article on line about him doing up some property and then selling it at a profit of course.
    The house from memory looked pretty posh, but not sure he lived there. Though Hampsted is a
    very well to do area it's not all millionaires.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't think he lives there now, there was an article on line about him doing up some property and then selling it at a profit of course.
    The house from memory looked pretty posh, but not sure he lived there. Though Hampsted is a

It was an old church.

http://www.loftenberg.com/nicks-church/
  • MartinRosenMartinRosen Posts: 33,063
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    As Nick A and callers pointed out, people who own the business aren't affected by that tax anyway (as they have different ways to pay themselves that largely avoids PAYE)

Ah, like former LBC presenter Ken Livingstone!
  • Virgin QueenVirgin Queen Posts: 13,425
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Had he won the lottery?
    Forum Member

That is absolutely sumptuous, just like its previous owner.

I had to laugh at him last night when he tried to kid us all that he didn't know who Engelbert Humperdinck was (crooner as apposed to the composer). Come on, Nick, you're not kidding anyone. :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ~Twinkle~ wrote: »
    That is absolutely sumptuous, just like its previous owner.

It's gorgeous but not very cosy. There's nowhere to put your stuff and clutter!
    Forum Member
    It's gorgeous but not very cosy. There's nowhere to put your stuff and clutter!

Clutter? What's clutter? I did what the experts said and decluttered years ago. (.. waiting for my nose to grow .. ) :D

Seriously though, I had no idea that NA was property developer, you live and you learn.
  • Radio-ActiveRadio-Active Posts: 1,161
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Great photo of Nick on that site:)
    http://www.loftenberg.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/02/london-church-13.jpeg
This discussion has been closed.