Why British films are so poor.

13»

Comments

• abhabh Posts: 1,139
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Johnny English, About a Boy, Bridget Jones Diary, Bank Job, Lock stock, layer cake, snatch, rocknrolla, 28 days later, 28 weeks later, four weddings and funeral, death at a funeral, 2001 space oddessy, hunger, monthy python holy grail, trainspotting.. many nice ones
  • miss_zeldamiss_zelda Posts: 589
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I couldn't possibly work out what's British and what's not (or rather, I can't really be bothered), but I can mention that Danny Boyle has made some awesome films.
  • Georges GrunGeorges Grun Posts: 957
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    For way of comparison, how do people think Britain compares to France? I think this is a problem, we don't just seem like poor relations to the US, but to the continent (or maybe at least to countries with a similar-sized market, ie France?).
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,488
    Forum Member
    For way of comparison, how do people think Britain compares to France? I think this is a problem, we don't just seem like poor relations to the US, but to the continent (or maybe at least to countries with a similar-sized market, ie France?).

The French market isn't a fair comparison, because they speak French, therefore non-dubbed movies in their native tongue are likely to perform slightly better. A better comparison might be to New Zealand or Australia, where they speak only English.

Having said that the French industry is considerably more pretentious, and apparently imploding in on itself. I seem to remember reading that the only way to get funding in France was to have a big name star, and the big name stars knew they were only able to get funding with them on board, so took the piss and started demanding salaries so outrageous that the films could never make a profit. Don't know if that changed or not...
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,440
    Forum Member
    mike65 wrote: »
    British films are just the big screen version of BBC1 and ITV1 drama (be it misery soaps or la de dar Frocks and Top Hats). Expansive thrillers, big concept dramas just don't get made in Britain by British companies. Even horror a flick like Shaun of the Dead is a very suburban horror flick that could have been made for Channel 4.

That is the problem. Too many British films regardless of the genre look like TV drama or comedies.

Song for Marion... looked like something Film Four was making in the 1980's along with P'tang Yang Kipper Bang.

Britian seem to have this idea that all we can make are comedies and even more annoying rom-coms.
    If you look at most of the films that have caught the imagination that aren't francise ones like Harry Potter and have done well in the US they tend to be comedies. Billy Elliott, Little Voice, Richard Curtis crap, to a degree Mama Mia, period drama or really crappy gangland/crime films.

Unfortunately because of this British film makers write similar thinking this will be the next (insert hit film title here) and we'll make money.
    It never ceases to amaze me why Britain churns out these dire "comedy" films when British comedy on TV is at a low.
    If you look at the biggest non stand-up comedy show on Tv at the moment it's Mrs Brown's Boys. And you know sooner or later some bright spark is going to say let's make a film of that.
    In the same way some bright spark thought creating a whole film based on a fictional TV host/comedian KeitH lemon was a great idea because he and his mates at the pub think Keith Lemon is hilarious and a comedy genius.
    I used to like Alan Partridge, when he was funny years and years ago. Will his film be good? Of course not he's past his prime and it's going to be stretching a single joke for 90 minutes.

IMO the only British films (funded by Dreamworks) that feel like they are British, different from anything the US is knocking out are films and are worth watching are made by Aardman Animation. They don't look like the Pixar or Dreamworks animations as they are doing stop motion still. Also the humour is very British. The Americans, couldn't do Wallace and Gromit. Pirates: An adventure with scientists was very British in it's humour. At times it was bordering on Python.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,440
    Forum Member
    abh wrote: »
    Johnny English, About a Boy, Bridget Jones Diary, Bank Job, Lock stock, layer cake, snatch, rocknrolla, 28 days later, 28 weeks later, four weddings and funeral, death at a funeral, 2001 space oddessy, hunger, monthy python holy grail, trainspotting.. many nice ones

I won't go into details of how bad all of them are bar Python, but will just draw your attention to how old all those films are.
  • sherisgirlsherisgirl Posts: 2,413
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mrs Brown
    The Queen
    Ladies in Lavender
    Not sure if they are all british but very british influenced, ok not exactly shoot em ups, but still very good and do very well on the international market.
    I liked the Bank Job too.
  • HypnodiscHypnodisc Posts: 22,728
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I must admit I love British films, my collection is dominated by them.

I don't understand why people would like what Americans do to films.. they just chuck more and more money at the things until they are so dazzling and unrealistic (read: grossly excessive CGI/action, actors hired because they have a big name or are good looking - but shit at actually acting and crappy populist plots and endings). If something's come out of 'Hollywood' anything about it that was once good has been extracted and excreted ready for the idiot masses.

I have more than this, but personal favourites include Billy Elliot, Shaun of The Dead/Hot Fuzz, V for Vendetta, Four Lions, Children of Men, Kidulthood/Adulthood, The Tournament, Attack The Block, About a Boy, Love Actually, Kevin & Perry Go Large, 28 Days Later, Trainspotting, The Last King of Scotland, The Bank Job, The Cottage, Green Street, Hitchiker's Guide to the Galaxy..

And although I'm not a fan of 'family films' we are obviously also responsible for Chicken Run, Wallace & Grommit, Harry Potter, St Trinian's, Bend it like Beckham etc which all did very well.

Not to mention the whole James Bond franchise.

Surely British cinema has something for everyone :)
  • Pink KnightPink Knight Posts: 24,773
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Shit! I forgot. Blood on satan's claw, deep end, performance, if, and the devils........

Seen the 10 you listed. Also of these not keen on Performance, but the others are some of my favourites.
    Photographing Fairies was hard to find. I had to get an Australian DVD of it.
  • HypnodiscHypnodisc Posts: 22,728
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ...and how did I forget: The Boat That Rocked :)
  • barbelerbarbeler Posts: 23,827
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hypnodisc wrote: »
    I must admit I love British films, my collection is dominated by them.

I don't understand why people would like what Americans do to films.. they just chuck more and more money at the things until they are so dazzling and unrealistic (read: grossly excessive CGI/action, actors hired because they have a big name or are good looking - but shit at actually acting and crappy populist plots and endings). If something's come out of 'Hollywood' anything about it that was once good has been extracted and excreted ready for the idiot masses.
    Agree 100% Not so sure about your choice of films though :D
    I have absolutely no interest in the vast majority of new releases and I remember giving up on Blockbusters many years ago when they gave up on stocking the more interesting, niche market films to concentrate entirely on American pap.
  • SexSex Posts: 44,161
    Forum Member
    i do love british films, mailny because of the humor..
  • TiwttmosTiwttmos Posts: 2,573
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I like the movie spin offs from comedies such as on the buses, man about the house, and george and mildred:o
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10,561
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My favourite films are British.

Check out Ill Manors and then tell me it was a poor film.
  • Slarti BartfastSlarti Bartfast Posts: 6,607
    Forum Member
    Give me kitchen sink realism over Hollywood cheese any day of the week.

One of my favourite films is A Room For Romeo Brass. Paddy Considine in his debut is fantastic, I don't think he has ever topped that performance.

http://youtu.be/R9wgfQVxbOY