Options

Freeview Lite

Chris_Hulse1Chris_Hulse1 Posts: 197
Forum Member
Hello,we have several Freeview Lite transmitters around our area (Halesowen/Haden Hill/Kinver),and i was wondering how many people are actually using them as most houses now have either Sky,Virgin cable or have their aerials pointing to a main transmitter with the full Freeview service available.

Surely they are just a hangover from the analogue days,when quite a few were built to overcome ghosting which is not an issue today with digital?

Comments

• Options
    swb1964swb1964 Posts: 4,700
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Some might be hangovers, but for many people they are essential if the signal from the nearest main transmitter isn't strong enough.

Not everyone can afford cable and not everyone can erect a satellite dish.
  • Options
    grahamlthompsongrahamlthompson Posts: 18,486
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hello,we have several Freeview Lite transmitters around our area (Halesowen/Haden Hill/Kinver),and i was wondering how many people are actually using them as most houses now have either Sky,Virgin cable or have their aerials pointing to a main transmitter with the full Freeview service available.

Surely they are just a hangover from the analogue days,when quite a few were built to overcome ghosting which is not an issue today with digital?

Not for ghosting which a better aerial was able to help with, but to fill holes in the main transmitter coverage due to local topograpy. Try and get TV at the bottom of a valley with a gritstone escarpment in the way in the Peak District, no amount of extra power will help.

Take a look at houses in Matlock Bath or Cheddar Gorge using Google street view.
  • Options
    David (2)David (2) Posts: 20,632
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Our relay mast isn't there to avoid analogue ghosting. The signal from the primary mendip mast is often unreliable due to hills between us and mendip. Some places around here can get a reliable service from it, others never get it all to work properly, while some suffer intermittent reception issues. Aerials installations for mendip reception around here typically cost £300, and there's no gurantee it will even work.

An aerial install for the relay is no more than £150, less if you aren't using multi room distribution, and all but a tiny number of homes can easily get the signal - with a modest compact aerial. But it's freeview lite.

Sky is dominant around here. 8 out 10 homes have a dish, although some are just using sky for the basic channels, and a minority are using the dish for freesat. The popularity of sky didn't take off with the digital switchover, it had already happened prior to that. It was the only way to receive channel 5 in the early days, and the only way to get a proper 16:9 widescreen format. At that point, widescreen CRT televisions were already very popular and so people wanted sky to get a widescreen broadcast.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If you need some sort of oversized aerial, especially mounted on top a high extension pole, it will be subject to wind loading. This is also a windy area, so it's a consideration for those trying receive a weak signal from mendip. Apart from just falling over, short of that brackets can work loose, damage to brickwork, etc. You may hear the entire thing swaying in the bedrooms. One friend of the family with this sort of setup had complaints from their neighbour about the sound of the securing twisting in the brickwork whenever it was slightly windy. Every autumn a couple of these big installations near us will fail when the rough winds arrive.

More or less all of that happened to me when we got freeview first, pre-dso. Spent £300 on a new aerial (the old one was for the relay and pre DSO there was no digital signal from it). all was fine for a while, but then the brackets couldn't take the strain anymore, damaged the brickwork. Got that corrected, but later suffered poor reception issues. Eventually after DSO got rid and replaced with a basic small aerial for the relay, & suplimented with freesat
  • Options
    anthony davidanthony david Posts: 14,507
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    In some areas near me people have high poles because of new high buildings. The good installations have thick poles and a double lashing kit on the chimney, especially if it is old brickwork. The cowboys use a flimsy pole and one lashing kit and as you say the whole lot comes down, together with some bricks, sooner or later.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    In some areas near me people have high poles because of new high buildings. The good installations have thick poles and a double lashing kit on the chimney, especially if it is old brickwork. The cowboys use a flimsy pole and one lashing kit and as you say the whole lot comes down, together with some bricks, sooner or later.

Around here, most, if not all of the old installations (from the analogue era) are on the better fixings as u describe. All new ones, at least where a completely new installation was done have the thin poles and small, single bracket, even with those high poles with big aerials on top - not good. When I say all new, I really do mean all new, it's easy to spot. Some lucky people have brand new, large aerials for mendip, on top old style fixings - they kept the old pole + didn't touch the fixings to the brickwork. None of these have been blown down in the nearby area.
    So, I was wondering if only the flimsy installations were used nowadays.

As an aside, a few people have trouble getting a satellite signal. I drive pass one example twice a day. They have tall trees overhanging the house. The mini dish is mounted on top a very sturdy looking pole, it's new but is in the style of those old type aerial installations.
  • Options
    neyney Posts: 12,516
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I have been to the Perth area a few times and even though that's classed as a big town it only has Freeview lite. There are a good few places there that have Sky or Freesat just to get the extra channels. Virgin is in 70% of the town so I guess some will have that to get the extra channels not on Freeview.
    The two hotels I been in they only offer Freeview lite in the hotel rooms but Sky or Virgin in the bar area.

Darren
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    How times have changed....
    A few houses still have enormous (at least they look enormous to me) VHF radio aerials. Horizontal orientation, pointed to the very far away wenvoe mast (mendip apparently is quite a bit newer than wenvoe so in the golden age of radio, VHF here would have come from wenvoe). I recall one person in my family telling me that early VHF tv was also from wenvoe - not mendip - in the early days, with what he said was a very poor (snowy) picture, again with I guess more very large VHF tv aerials. The tv aerials were later changed for UHF on mendip, but that would still have been about the biggest you could get, while the VHF radio aerial remained in use until much later when FM from mendip and eventually our relay mast became available (followed by a further dedicated commercial/BBC local FM shared mast in the opposite direction). From then on FM reception on portable sets with pull up aerials or systems with a wire aerial were sufficient, although the choice of stations was limited (and still is unless you use dab, online, or satellite). Freeview radio doesn't really count as much because the number of radio feeds is very limited on freeview lite (just BBC).
  • Options
    acmoldacmold Posts: 364
    Forum Member
    Around here many houses have no roof aerials as you can see the transmitter out of the window and you get a 60% signal just with a bit of cable in the set. I have loft aerial which is split between TV's and get near 100% signal. Some houses have large aerials on a large pole. I presume they pick either Sandy Heath or Sutton Coldfield or even Hannington off of the back of the aerial. Certainly I have heard conversations certainly since changeover that their "local" news comes from Birmingham or Cambridge / Norwich.
  • Options
    Chris_Hulse1Chris_Hulse1 Posts: 197
    Forum Member
    David (2) wrote: »
    How times have changed....
    A few houses still have enormous (at least they look enormous to me) VHF radio aerials. Horizontal orientation, pointed to the very far away wenvoe mast (mendip apparently is quite a bit newer than wenvoe so in the golden age of radio, VHF here would have come from wenvoe). I recall one person in my family telling me that early VHF tv was also from wenvoe - not mendip - in the early days, with what he said was a very poor (snowy) picture, again with I guess more very large VHF tv aerials. The tv aerials were later changed for UHF on mendip, but that would still have been about the biggest you could get, while the VHF radio aerial remained in use until much later when FM from mendip and eventually our relay mast became available (followed by a further dedicated commercial/BBC local FM shared mast in the opposite direction). From then on FM reception on portable sets with pull up aerials or systems with a wire aerial were sufficient, although the choice of stations was limited (and still is unless you use dab, online, or satellite). Freeview radio doesn't really count as much because the number of radio feeds is very limited on freeview lite (just BBC).

I think you mean Band 1 TV aerials for the old 405 line service,they certainly were big,10 feet width!brackets for lashing certainly had to be strong for those set ups.
  • Options
    jasonjimbobjasonjimbob Posts: 1,374
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's the same here in my area, I live in Crosskeys and the Mynydd Machen Transmitter which only gives Freeview Lite comes in nice and strong (400 Watts) even on a indoor aerial, (I use that as I got a out of contract BT Vision box which I had given to me. As well as Freesat) Wattsville Transmitter is also available in my area but it so low powered and apparently is closer, ( only 4 Watts) but i get nothing from that even if i turn my aerial towards it. Only a few hundred yards down the road heading towards Risca, some homes have a large aerial picking up Mendip,
  • Options
    Dr.OliverTwichDr.OliverTwich Posts: 1,582
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not for ghosting which a better aerial was able to help with
    Delayed Image Interference (DII) aka 'ghosting' was a not uncommon reason for some relays to be built. Better aerials can't always compensate in some locations.

Off the top of my head some likely DII sites: Croydon Old Town, Hammersmith and for quite a few Scottish and Welsh Valley sites DII was a contributor to the 'unserved' population count. :o

There was(is) quite a number of relay transmitters that are no longer 'needed' post DSO but then the Govt. decreed no-one should be forced to get a new aerial... so the planners had to keep the existing ones (and add a few more, for continental interference reasons).
  • Options
    N.DeanN.Dean Posts: 1,693
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    David (2) wrote: »
    ...when FM from mendip and eventually our relay mast became available...

Mendip doesn't carry national FM radio.
    http://tx.mb21.co.uk/gallery/gallerypage.php?txid=620
  • Options
    DEmbertonDEmberton Posts: 2,951
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Freeview Lite around here, but half the aerials I see in my street have big aerials pointing at the main Oxford transmitter. That's probably more people upgrading to Freeview before the analogue switch off than switching from Freeview Lite. No cable, so you also see a lot of satellite dishes.

Mine is inside the loft, but I was still able to get the full Freeview range by replacing the aerial and pointing it at the main transmitter.