Samsung/Apple Jury Reaches Verdict

Comments

• psionicpsionic Posts: 20,188
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sadly this is all very predictable. The Judge has been encouraging both sides to come to an arrangement, even getting their CEOs to talk to each other. But neither side was willing to budge. There will no doubt be an appeal, and it will be very costly. Looks like all companies have to be far more careful about licensing and patents, and smartphones will become more costly as a result.
  • StigglesStiggles Posts: 9,618
    Forum Member
    This judgement wont stop people buying Apple products.

Saint Steve Jobs wanted to destroy Android. His minions are carrying out out his final wishes.

It will. People will jump over to Windows before they will ever buy an iphone after this carry on.
  • wildphantom!wildphantom! Posts: 561
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Stiggles wrote: »
    Is it hell!!

Its much better for a start!!

Read this, I'm sure you'll change your mind.

http://www.scribd.com/doc/102317767/Samsung-Relative-Evaluation-Report-on-S1-iPhone

Samsung's own document.

This is more to do with TouchWiz but it seems like Samsung said lets see iOS and how can we make sure it looks very similar.
    Forum Member
    I'm not a advocate for Apple at all but did any off you (who say Apple is the 'bad guy') see Samsung's documents when the iPhone was released, they changed the design, icons, buttons on the original S to compete with the iPhone.

It was blatant copying. Breaking down each and every part of iOS to make it look the same in TouchWiz.

http://www.theverge.com/2012/8/8/3227289/samsung-apple-ux-ui-interface-improvement

Yet i had a LG something or other that had tiled icons before the iphone came out.

Sooo......
    Forum Member

http://www.scribd.com/doc/102317767/Samsung-Relative-Evaluation-Report-on-S1-iPhone

Samsung's own document.

Yep, ive read it already.

Yes, on the S1 they may have copied a few things which admittedly was stupid.

However, numpty jobs decided he wanted to kill Android because it was and now is bigger and more popular than the iphone.

Samsung just happen to be now the largest and most popular company selling Android phone. This is who Apple are trying to take out for no reason other than idiocy and jealousy

Its absolutely pathetic..
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yet i had a LG something or other that had tiled icons before the iphone came out.

Sooo......

What's that got to do with Samsung putting the iPhone side by side with its S1 to highlight the similarities. As soon as that document was out Samsung had lost.

It's nothing to do with stock Android, it's TouchWiz, Samsung's skin.

I'm sure if you were in Apple's shoes and your team worked years to create a new OS, only for Samsung to redo its product line and copy your Trade Dress in 3 months. Who wouldn't be pissed off?
  • whoever,heywhoever,hey Posts: 30,992
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Samsung's own document.

This is more to do with TouchWiz but it seems like Samsung said lets see iOS and how can we make sure it looks very similar.

I've read this doc before and i'm not sure what the problem is. Its a competition analysis, with way to improve upon the competition. That isn't copying. The comments in red at the bottom are things like, "yeah this is rubbish it needs to be more visible". Its constructive criticism on the current (at the time) designs, rather than how to change it to match iOS.
    Forum Member
    What's that got to do with Samsung putting the iPhone side by side with its S1 to highlight the similarities. As soon as that document was out Samsung had lost.

Its to do with apple not being the first to use a screen full of tiled icons.

Also they did have the iphone on its home screen and the Galaxy s1 in its app drawer and not its home screen. So it wasn't like for like at all.

How else are apps supposed to be ordered on a screen?
    Forum Member
    I'm sure if you were in Apple's shoes and your team worked years to create a new OS, only for Samsung to redo its product line and copy your Trade Dress in 3 months. Who wouldn't be pissed off?

If i came into the mobile game as a latecomer like apple and i pinched other peoples designs like apple did, pinched other technologies then really, i wouldn't be whining like a bloody kid!!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I had a screen full of tile icons on my windows desktop years before smartphones even existed. (even win3.1!)

They were icons with text labels under in a grid on a wallpaper. Genius original idea that i'd never thinking of just moving onto a phone :rolleyes:.
  • seelleeseellee Posts: 10,718
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't get why people are having a go at Apple, they were clearly in the right, otherwise they would not have been awarded the damages. Samsung were stupid and have now paid for it.

Also if anybody thinks people won't buy iPhones because of this they are seriously deluded. If they don't buy iPhones it will be for other reasons, I'll bet most of the general public couldn't even care about this case!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 385
    Forum Member
    I had a screen full of tile icons on my windows desktop years before smartphones even existed.

They were icons with text labels under in a grid on a wallpaper. Genius original idea that i'd never thinking of just moving onto a phone :rolleyes:.

I see the Microsoft army coming over the hill :)
  • Everything GoesEverything Goes Posts: 12,972
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Its all about destroying Android and the most successful Android manufacturer is Samsung. They are just going after the biggest fish in the pond.

I will spend my last dying breath if I need to, and I will spend every penny of Apple’s $40 billion in the bank, to right this wrong. I’m going to destroy Android, because it’s a stolen product. I’m willing to go thermonuclear war on this.

Saint Steve Jobs

http://www.macgasm.net/2012/07/20/judge-not-allowing-steve-jobs-comments-against-android-to-be-used-in-apple-vs-samsung-trial/
    Forum Member
    I had a screen full of tile icons on my windows desktop years before smartphones even existed.

Correct.

How anyone can seriously think apple came up with this idea is bonkers!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If i came into the mobile game as a latecomer like apple and i pinched other peoples designs like apple did, pinched other technologies then really, i wouldn't be whining like a bloody kid!!

Apple reportedly spent 150 million to come up with their 1st gen iPhone, with no guarantee that it would be a financial success. They took the plunge of faith which completely changed the mobile market to what we have today.

Up to a certain point, is there a point to continuously innovate when you know your competitors are just going to copy your IP's 5 seconds after your flagship products are released? We all know Microsoft and Apple have this gentlemans agreement which came out in the trail not to 'copy' each other and they managed to come up with a completely new OS nothing like iOS and it coming together for them - hopefully.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    seellee wrote: »
    Also if anybody thinks people won't buy iPhones because of this they are seriously deluded. If they don't buy iPhones it will be for other reasons, I'll bet most of the general public couldn't even care about this case!

I own an iPhone NOW, but wont buy a new one because of the current state of their "tech" and "innovation" and what they are doing to the industry.
    Forum Member
    I don't get why people are having a go at Apple, they were clearly in the right, otherwise they would not have been awarded the damages. Samsung were stupid and have now paid for it.

I had 2 iphones, 2 macs and 2 ipads. I now have none because i dont want to associate myself with this evil, nasty, lying and foolish company.

So, so far with 2 people that's lost apple what, £5.5k or so?

Some people don't want to be associated with companies like this.
    Forum Member
    Apple reportedly spent 150 million to come up with their 1st gen iPhone, with no guarantee that it would be a financial success. They took the plunge of faith which completely changed the mobile market to what we have today.

Up to a certain point, is there a point to continuously innovate when you know your competitors are just going to copy your IP's 5 seconds after your flagship products are released? We all know Microsoft and Apple have this gentlemans agreement which came out in the trail not to 'copy' each other and they managed to come up with a completely new OS nothing like iOS and it coming together for them - hopefully.

Your absolutely right but, what irks me is phones have been out before with tiled screens like i say. Apple win this. There was a phone out years before apple with a slide to unlock feature. Apple win this.

I cant help see a bit of fiddling going on here...
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I own an iPhone NOW, but wont buy a new one because of the current state of their "tech" and "innovation" and what they are doing to the industry.

Did you buy a windows PC when Microsoft where in court by the US government for monopolisation? Or did you switch to Mac because Microsoft were certainltly not innovating at that time.
  • seelleeseellee Posts: 10,718
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

And that is absolutely fine, but what you have to remember is that most iPhone users or people looking to buy iPhones probably aren't into their tech as much as you. I tend to find people who like messing around with this stuff tend to be Android users. This case will not dissuade your average joe.
    Forum Member
    And that is absolutely fine, but what you have to remember is that most iPhone users or people looking to buy iPhones probably aren't into their tech as much as you. I tend to find people who like messing around with this stuff tend to be Android users. This case will not dissuade your average joe.

Oh it will. Im just an average joe and my Mrs is as well and binned her apple stuff.

This will liely cost apple some sale. May not be a lot but if they carry on like this much longer, it can only get worse.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

If you look at the phones that are on the market when the iphone came out though it wasn't that revolutionary, they dont really bring anything new to the table. They just bring many ideas together.
    Forum Member
    psionic wrote: »

What i want to know is how can apple as a latecomer into phones, use other peoples tech without permission yet get away scott free?

Also if i was Samsung right now i would be withholding all shipments of parts since they make most of the iphone and ipad.
  • Everything GoesEverything Goes Posts: 12,972
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Agreed. Most of the people on this forum are into their technology and are not representative of the general public.