Forum Member
    mavreela wrote: »
    If I can cope with:

141 BBC one
    102 BBC Two
    178 ITV
    230 Channel 4
    171 Channel 5

Then the simplicity of the new Sky Sports numbers will not take much getting used to.

To be honest when I think of BBC1 I think of 101, C4 I think of 104, so I automatically put those numbers in (and then get told by my other half that we should be watching the HD channel).
  • Options
    mavreelamavreela Posts: 4,750
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jlp95bwfc wrote: »
    Do you not mean 142 for BBC Two?

In England BBC Two has an HD swap. It would have been better had they kept them together though.
  • Options
    steveh31steveh31 Posts: 13,516
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    stevvy1986 wrote: »
    To be honest when I think of BBC1 I think of 101, C4 I think of 104, so I automatically put those numbers in (and then get told by my other half that we should be watching the HD channel).

Or Virgin

BBC1HD 108
    ITV HD 113
    Channel 4 HD 142
    Channel 5 HD 150

Your mind soon gets used to it as will putting in the new Sky numbers
  • Options
    fodg09fodg09 Posts: 3,602
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I can see the logic behind having SSN (or should that be SSNHQ) as the first Sky Sports channel - but maybe they should have just ditched the 'news' bit and called it Sky Sports HQ, made it the hub of all things Sky Sports. Calling it Sky Sports News HQ just ensures that everyone is still going to call it Sky Sports News!
  • Options
    jlp95bwfcjlp95bwfc Posts: 18,415
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    mavreela wrote: »
    In England BBC Two has an HD swap. It would have been better had they kept them together though.

Doh! Yes of course it does. I'm in England but just forgot :)
  • Options
    ahoymeisterahoymeister Posts: 1,134
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mark. wrote: »
    Perhaps the stupidity is to make it look like David Beckham is genuinely coming up with new ideas for Sky Sports...

Ha!

Firstly, the channel numbering is very silly indeed. Secondly, it doesn't matter that they've doubled the size of the studio. All they need are two presenters and a desk. And thirdly, as for 'a new schedule'... With the exception of Soccer Saturday, who even notices or cares what the name of the programme is? Good Morning Sports Fans, First Fast Now... they're all the same.

I'm not surprised that SSN is so highly watched though. It's a bit of default station: you've searched in vain for something to watch so just stick SSN on for a bit. Or have it on as background while doing something else.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    On a side note will there be changes to the Soccer Saturday routine with this new studio any new features including the use of the big screen?
  • Options
    LOSGLOSG Posts: 2,724
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    steveh31 wrote: »
    On a side note will there be changes to the Soccer Saturday routine with this new studio any new features including the use of the big screen?

Soccer Saturday is still in the same studio. Its the one they are currently using for SSN whilst the new one was built.
  • Options
    RadiomikeRadiomike Posts: 7,952
    Forum Member
    steveh31 wrote: »
    Or Virgin

BBC1HD 108
    ITV HD 113
    Channel 4 HD 142
    Channel 5 HD 150

Your mind soon gets used to it as will putting in the new Sky numbers

In most of those cases it arises because of the way in which the EPG rules are applied. And as ITV HD viewing figures show many people simply key in 103 rather than 178 (on Sky) and watch in SD by default. Same will happen with BBC One/Two, C4 and C5.

In the Sky Sports case it is being done by choice on their part and defies reasonable logic.

Wait until August 12 and see how many people are confused by it all. We may get used to it but it makes no sense as currently proposed.
  • Options
    JimothyDJimothyD Posts: 8,868
    Forum Member
    It's a complete waste of time adding 'HQ' to the name. It just lengthens it for no real reason. As a previous poster commented, no one other than the presenters will refer to it as 'Sky Sports News HQ'. If they really wanted to go down the route of SSN being the 'hub', then they should go back to the superior name they used to have before SSN came on the scene - Sky Sports Centre.

Apart from the daft name, SSN is well overdue a revamp. It's a mess of a channel at the moment. From the '24 hours a day...on line, PC etc...' intro to the garish, over the top on screen graphics and the Sky News style overplaying of 'breaking news' - it's often a horrible watch. Having said that, I don't hold out much hope for it being a classy relaunch. The new studio looks even more in your face than their current one and the actual Sky Sports logo still looks super glossy and over-treated.
  • Options
    fatboy75fatboy75 Posts: 95
    Forum Member
    Are Sky just doing this so if your on BT TV you get sky sports news and sky sports 1 or will you still get sky sports 1 & 2?
  • Options
    fatboy75fatboy75 Posts: 95
    Forum Member
    fatboy75 wrote: »
    Are Sky just doing this so if your on BT TV you get sky sports news and sky sports 1 or will you still get sky sports 1 & 2?

Sorry everyone forgot it's
    Sky Sports News "HQ" now forgot already 😂
  • Options
    RadiomikeRadiomike Posts: 7,952
    Forum Member
    fatboy75 wrote: »

If you get Sky Sports 1 & 2 now you will still get those channels after the change. It simply affects the order of channels on certain platforms.
  • Options
    JeffmisterJeffmister Posts: 191
    Forum Member
    Racket wrote: »
    If they wanted to use "HQ" for whatever reason, I personally would have preferred a dropping of News from the title. That way they could try and make sense out of the positioning of the channel more as the main HQ of Sky Sports, with all the news and then the pointers directing you to the actually sports channels further down for whatever is on them, so essentially having a main hub at the front.
    Agree completely. Sky Sports HQ as a name tells the viewer what the channel is about - the central point for Sky Sports' news content & the gateway to the main channels.

Can't believe there's someone or a group at people at Sky who got paid to decide:
    a) Adding 'HQ' to a perfectly good channel name was a great idea AND
    b) Instead of moving SSN to 400 & having a logical, clear numbering system for SS - Sky puts SSN at 401. Hence they force the other SS channels down one spot & destroying a logical numbering system
  • Options
    Adam LawAdam Law Posts: 1,696
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What will they call it on the EPG? At present they use "Sky Sp News HD" so with the addition of HQ maybe "SkySNews HQ HD".
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jeffmister wrote: »
    Agree completely. Sky Sports HQ as a name tells the viewer what the channel is about - the central point for Sky Sports' news content & the gateway to the main channels.

Can't believe there's someone or a group at people at Sky who got paid to decide:
    a) Adding 'HQ' to a perfectly good channel name was a great idea AND
    b) Instead of moving SSN to 400 & having a logical, clear numbering system for SS - Sky puts SSN at 401. Hence they force the other SS channels down one spot & destroying a logical numbering system

This is a no go imo. Common practice when checking out the sports channels is to press 401 and work your way up. You'd effectively lose SSN is they did that. (In theory not in practice before anyone jumps at me.)

I don't get the "illogical" comments about the "numbering up" that people are making, some people just hate change. Don't get me wrong it'll take some getting used too and will catch me out a few times to begin with, but its hardly a struggle to press the up arrow key. Sky One is on 106 no one seems to struggle to find it because it ends in a six.
  • Options
    BelligerenceBelligerence Posts: 40,613
    Forum Member
    Very idiotic number ordering.

And HQ? To hell with it, just bring back Sky Sports Centre. :mad:
  • Options
    JeffmisterJeffmister Posts: 191
    Forum Member
    LOSG wrote: »
    This is a no go imo. Common practice when checking out the sports channels is to press 401 and work your way up. You'd effectively lose SSN is they did that. (In theory not in practice before anyone jumps at me.)

I don't get the "illogical" comments about the "numbering up" that people are making, some people just hate change. Don't get me wrong it'll take some getting used too and will catch me out a few times to begin with, but its hardly a struggle to press the up arrow key. Sky One is on 106 no one seems to struggle to find it because it ends in a six.
    Can understand your contention about 401 being the default channel to start regarding sport. Although disagree with you about the change - why change a perfectally good & logical system in the first place?

I think Sky One can be seen as an exception due to obvious reasons & that 106 is the 1st channel following the main FTA channels that can be used
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jeffmister wrote: »
    Can understand your contention about 401 being the default channel to start regarding sport. Although disagree with you about the change - why change a perfectally good & logical system in the first place?

Clearly they want SSN to be the first channel hit.

Moaning about the numbering is borderline moronic in my opinion.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 918
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    plenty of people at ssn cant see the point of name change and channel change too....
  • Options
    pburke90pburke90 Posts: 14,758
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    401 - Sky Sports News HQ HD
    402 - Sky Sports 1
    403 - Sky Sports 2
    404 - Sky Sports 3
    405 - Sky Sports 4
    406 - Sky Sports 5
    407 - Sky Sports F1

How strange. Not only is the new channel name excessively long and silly, but it could easily have gone on 407 and let all the other channels move up into more understandable positions, and numbers they were always on in the vast majority of cases. It was handy having 401 as Sports 1, 402 Sports 2 etc. Now it's been messed up for no genuine reason, just some idiot in an office who gets paid to come up with these lame brain "ideas".
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Paddy C wrote: »
    401 - Sky Sports News HQ HD
    402 - Sky Sports 1
    403 - Sky Sports 2
    404 - Sky Sports 3
    405 - Sky Sports 4
    406 - Sky Sports 5
    407 - Sky Sports F1

How strange. Not only is the new channel name excessively long and silly, but it could easily have gone on 407 and let all the other channels move up into more understandable positions, and numbers they were always on in the vast majority of cases. It was handy having 401 as Sports 1, 402 Sports 2 etc. Now it's been messed up for no genuine reason, just some idiot in an office who gets paid to come up with these lame brain "ideas".

1) They want Sky Sports News HQ at the top
    2) They want people to click 401 and see what Sky Sports News looks like it's a promotional trick.
    3) It's upto them what numbers they put their channels on.
    4) It's been done to get people talking and chatting and tweeting about it, therefore it is a complete success as people can't stop talking about the new name and channel numbers well done to us all for falling for it.
  • Options
    mlt11mlt11 Posts: 21,095
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    fodg09 wrote: »
    I can see the logic behind having SSN (or should that be SSNHQ) as the first Sky Sports channel - but maybe they should have just ditched the 'news' bit and called it Sky Sports HQ, made it the hub of all things Sky Sports. Calling it Sky Sports News HQ just ensures that everyone is still going to call it Sky Sports News!

If my suggestion in post 49 were to happen I would expect SSN to be renamed SS1 and SS1 to SS5 to become SS2 to SS6.

In a way, we've already seen the start of the process with the decision to take high profile events off SS1 - ie Sky have already shown they are happy for the big events to not be on 401.

So what's happening in August and what might happen later is just an extension of an ongoing process:

ie If Test cricket can be on 402 and US golf majors can be on 404 then no reason why PL football shouldn't be on 402, Test cricket on 403 and the Ryder Cup on 405.

Renaming SSN to SS1 would obviously also fit in with a move to the Sports Pack.

Finally if the above were to happen they could then enhance SSN (renamed SS1) by showing live action from other SS channels:

ie The full live event would be on SS2 to SS6 and SSN (renamed SS1) could "go live" at crucial moments.
  • Options
    90s fan90s fan Posts: 204
    Forum Member
    I hope the silly rebranding and pointless EPG channel numbering backfires Sky Sports News, the channels viewing fingers could drop sharply. It might be in rating crisis mode like ITV Breakfast.
  • Options
    linkinpark875linkinpark875 Posts: 29,703
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Another silly rebrand.