Greatest Xmas film ever

adamlee19adamlee19 Posts: 632
Forum Member
✭✭
Its that time of year again 1 more month till xmas. There is so many brill xmas films don't exactly have to involve Santa lol. Could be some Disney films that's always normaly on around xmas. But in your eyes over the next 31 days what is your favourite Xmas film. If its not on the poll just post it on here.

greatest xmas film 80 votes

Home alone
13% 11 votes
Home alone 2
5% 4 votes
White Christmas
2% 2 votes
Miracle on 34th street
3% 3 votes
Santa Clause the movie
5% 4 votes
The santa clause with Tim allen
1% 1 vote
Its a wonderfull life
21% 17 votes
A christmas story
3% 3 votes
Elf
10% 8 votes
The muppet Christmas Carol
7% 6 votes
Mary Poppins
0% 0 votes
Ben Hur
0% 0 votes
The Polar Express
1% 1 vote
Love Actually
6% 5 votes
Nativity
0% 0 votes
Scrooge
7% 6 votes
The Nightmare Before Christmas
0% 0 votes
A Christmas Carol
7% 6 votes
The Snowman
2% 2 votes
The Greatest Story ever told.
1% 1 vote

Comments

• SummeririsSummeriris Posts: 649
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    adamlee19 wrote: »
    Its that time of year again 1 more month till xmas. There is so many brill xmas films don't exactly have to involve Santa lol. Could be some Disney films that's always normaly on around xmas. But in your eyes over the next 31 days what is your favourite Xmas film. If its not on the poll just post it on here.

I love 'A Christmas Story', 1983.
    'No kid, you can't have an air rifle, you'll out your eye out'.

Who doesn't love Ralphie and his quest for the ultimate gift. And the lamp his Dad won being stuck in the window to his mother's mortification. It's a joy from start to finish.
  • ItsTotesSoFluffItsTotesSoFluff Posts: 2,667
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jingle All the Way for me, but I'll vote for Home Alone
  • AlrightmateAlrightmate Posts: 73,120
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I put 'It's a Wonderful Life', but I wish it was a multiple choice poll because I could have put one or two others such as 'Scrooge' (The 1951 original with Alistair Sim).
  • PaperSkinPaperSkin Posts: 1,327
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Muppet Christmas Carol - Fun and heart, what more could you want in a Christmas movie.
  • Hugh JboobsHugh Jboobs Posts: 15,316
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    "It's a Wonderful Life" is in the lead at the time of writing this. The most overrated film in history IMO. Bored me to tears, I found the main character to be a complete whinge-bag and had no sympathy for his plight at all. Somehow I stuck with it until the end, but about five minutes in I was wishing he'd been successful in topping himself at the start.
  • fmradiotuner1fmradiotuner1 Posts: 20,476
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I voted for Home Alone I might not be watching many xmas films this year which still have loads to see like but got lots of other blockbusters to watch from 2014 , 2013 still over 300 over films and blu rays.
    Because been so much stuff on TV last few months.
    Though I watched loads of Christmas films last year mostly the ones on the Christmas 24 channel and Five plus a few on Sony Movies.
  • Walter NeffWalter Neff Posts: 9,148
    Forum Member
    I put 'It's a Wonderful Life', but I wish it was a multiple choice poll because I could have put one or two others such as 'Scrooge' (The 1951 original with Alistair Sim).

I voted for Scrooge not only because it is a much better film, (the original black and white print, not the hideous colourized version) but I have never understood the fuss over It's a Wonderful Life. :confused:
  • starry_runestarry_rune Posts: 9,006
    Forum Member
    Has anyone seen Rare Exports?

Its a good horror / christmas movie, some of it is Icelandic with subtitles. I'd recommend it to anyone whos looking for a different take. Don't watch the trailer it makes it look like a sh*t action / horror. Infact it has a compelling family story, and the title is explained at the end.
  • Conall CearnachConall Cearnach Posts: 874
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    "It's a Wonderful Life" is in the lead at the time of writing this. The most overrated film in history IMO. Bored me to tears, I found the main character to be a complete whinge-bag and had no sympathy for his plight at all. Somehow I stuck with it until the end, but about five minutes in I was wishing he'd been successful in topping himself at the start.
    Somehow I imagine that you have not actually seen this movie as the main character doesn't try to top themselves until well into the film.
  • Walter NeffWalter Neff Posts: 9,148
    Forum Member

Me too, I hate it, and I m old enough to remember that it was a flop when it was first released.

There is a wonderful Christmas film, Remember the Night which nobody seems to know apart from old film buffs like me. It is about a hard boiled shoplifter, Barbara Stanwyck who's trial is postponed until after Christmas, so her prosecuting council Fred MacMurray takes her home to his family in Indiana to spend Christmas with them. The warmth of their welcome and her first experience of a real family Christmas brings the couple closer together. The trouble is, he still has to take her back to face the court after the holidays.

It has just been released on Amazon for just £8.50, and they accurately describe it as a timeless, warm hearted Christmas Classic.

It does have one thing in common with IAWL, and that is the great Beulah Bondi who plays Fred's warm hearted mother. :)
  • blueisthecolourblueisthecolour Posts: 20,123
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Home Alone was the Christmas movie for me as a kid and for nostalgia reason I voted for it now. Well I suppose Christmas is for kids really :kitty:

I watched it again a couple of years ago and it does, just about, hold up. I still found it funny watching as an adult.
  • Mark39LondonMark39London Posts: 3,977
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Great Escape.
  • necromancer20necromancer20 Posts: 2,548
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Has anyone seen Rare Exports?

Its a good horror / christmas movie, some of it is Icelandic with subtitles. I'd recommend it to anyone whos looking for a different take. Don't watch the trailer it makes it look like a sh*t action / horror. Infact it has a compelling family story, and the title is explained at the end.

Mark Kermode raved about Rare Exports a couple of years ago and from his words it sounded really dark and edgy and a great alternatve Christmas movie. However when I finally saw it, I was let down by it. Bit of a mess IMO and not nearly as clever as something like Troll Hunter.
  • MmmbopMmmbop Posts: 924
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Love Actually is my favourite, with Elf in second, but there's loads on that list that I haven't seen for years or never seen. In terms of what's getting early votes it seems I have to watch The Santa Clause and It's a Wonderful Life, not seen either...
  • RebelScumRebelScum Posts: 16,008
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Batman Returns
  • FusionFuryFusionFury Posts: 14,121
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Look Who's Talking would count as a Christmas movie, right? I vote that.

Also like Jack Frost and Jingle All The Way (can't believe none of them 3 all time classics make this list?)
  • The AmbassadorThe Ambassador Posts: 5,631
    Forum Member
    Die Hard.
  • jake_moore08jake_moore08 Posts: 256
    Forum Member
    'Home Alone' all the way for me closely followed the second one.
  • rfonzorfonzo Posts: 11,771
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I like the Alistair Simm version of Scrooge.
  • JohnbeeJohnbee Posts: 4,019
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's a Wonderful Life is obviously number one.

I also like A Pocketful of Miracles.

Obviously Bad Santa but that is rather an anti-Christmas film.
  • ASIFZEDASIFZED Posts: 1,388
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation is the best Xmas film, ever.
  • Raven8472Raven8472 Posts: 389
    Forum Member
    Scrooged (1988)
  • RyJaRyJa Posts: 900
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I love Scrooge with Alistair Sim (the b&w version, I hate that coloured in version that is being shown).

So many to choose from though, Home Alone, The Muppet Christmas Carol and also Scrooged (love this film and the ghost of Christmas Present)
  • PaperSkinPaperSkin Posts: 1,327
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ASIFZED wrote: »
    National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation is the best Xmas film, ever.

Haha enjoy this too, got to watch that movie this year.
  • zebedeezebedee Posts: 792
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The Night The Reindeer Died. (short though it was)