Options

Why do candidates lie so blatantly?

whackyracerwhackyracer Posts: 15,786
Forum Member
✭✭
Sorry, but this really gets on my goat. They know they are being filmed, they know that all the controversial things will be shown on the tv, so why on earth do they try and lie?

The latest example of this was that sewer rat Alex trying to claim credit for the raffle idea. When Lucinda pointed out it was her suggestion Alex immediately tried to come off all reasonable as if appeasing a child and said ' you can have the raffle idea (i.e. my idea) if you want'! I know the raffle was irrelevant in the end, but he is such a manipulative creep!

Comments

• Options
    abercrombieabercrombie Posts: 905
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sorry, but this really gets on my goat. They know they are being filmed, they know that all the controversial things will be shown on the tv, so why on earth do they try and lie?

The latest example of this was that sewer rat Alex trying to claim credit for the raffle idea. When Lucinda pointed out it was her suggestion Alex immediately tried to come off all reasonable as if appeasing a child and said ' you can have the raffle idea (i.e. my idea) if you want'! I know the raffle was irrelevant in the end, but he is such a manipulative creep!

I think people just remember their own version of things: Maybe he just remembered it as his own idea!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 430
    Forum Member

I think he genuinely forgot that he didn't come up with it. They all discussed openly in the car and although Lucinda came up with it, Alex did expand on it.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think he genuinely forgot that he didn't come up with it. They all discussed openly in the car and although Lucinda came up with it, Alex did expand on it.

If it were another candidate then I might be willing to buy it, but not Alex, he is as equally stupid as his trench coat looks!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    If it were another candidate then I might be willing to buy it, but not Alex, he is as equally stupid as his trench coat looks!

I hate Alex myself. He is a little snake.
  • Options
    CLARKSONIOUSCLARKSONIOUS Posts: 478
    Forum Member

Not supporting Alex here, but it is said that the difference between a good artist and a great artist is:
    A good artist comes up with ideas, whereas a great artist steals them!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I hate Alex myself. He is a little snake.

I hate the way he is so smug. When SAS read the percentage of sales figures out he was so smug I thought he was going to explode!

Also, he has got to be given the award for the funniest start to a sentance 'in my brain...' you mean you actually have one Alex? It's not just a clump of hair products that have seaped through your skull?:D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Not supporting Alex here, but it is said that the difference between a good artist and a great artist is:

Are you suggesting Alex is an artist? granted his hats are worn 'uniquely', but an artist? now i've heard it all!:rolleyes:
  • Options
    Muttley76Muttley76 Posts: 97,888
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think he genuinely forgot that he didn't come up with it.

This is Alex we are talking about, he doesn't have a geniune bone in his body.....:p
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I hate the way he is so smug. When SAS read the percentage of sales figures out he was so smug I thought he was going to explode!

Also, he has got to be given the award for the funniest start to a sentance 'in my brain...' you mean you actually have one Alex? It's not just a clump of hair products that have seaped through your skull?:D

I think he was exposed for exactly what he is in the earlier episode when Simon tried appointing him as his second in command/go between.
  • Options
    CLARKSONIOUSCLARKSONIOUS Posts: 478
    Forum Member
    Are you suggesting Alex is an artist? granted his hats are worn 'uniquely', but an artist? now i've heard it all!:rolleyes:

Not supporting Alex...
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Not supporting Alex...

well how else can we interpret your comparison to an artist?:D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 587
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Alex says in his CV that he can be quite forgetful. I think he genuinly forgot. I think he is cleverer than lying on national TV. However, I still think he is sly and and a whiner.
  • Options
    abercrombieabercrombie Posts: 905
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    **Nora** wrote: »
    Alex says in his CV that he can be quite forgetful. I think he genuinly forgot. I think he is cleverer than lying on national TV. However, I still think he is sly and and a whiner.

I think he is clever too. He has been incredibly sly in this show. Tactics of a winner perhaps? Just in the bits that he doesn't say when people are so obviously shooting themselves in the foot and Alex makes that sideways mouth expression.

If you are not willing to work hard for it, then is this the next best way of winning?
  • Options
    InigoMontoyaInigoMontoya Posts: 1,552
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't think many people deliberately lie. As the OP states, they are being filmed. I think The Apprentice candidates are just like everybody else. They remember things the way they saw them. What we see is so distorted - we join conversations in the middle, we don't see the boring stuff, etc, etc, that it's really hard to know any objective truth.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 56
    Forum Member
    They might deliberately lie - its not a popularity contest! It doesnt matter if you / me / Joe public sees one of the 'contestants' lying... and I'm not convinced suralan cares that much either!

Nice eh!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 729
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think he is clever too. He has been incredibly sly in this show. Tactics of a winner perhaps? Just in the bits that he doesn't say when people are so obviously shooting themselves in the foot and Alex makes that sideways mouth expression.

If you are not willing to work hard for it, then is this the next best way of winning?

This is actually what makes me dislike him more than anything else....because he isn't completely without skills... like say Michael/Lindi - those guys had no choice but to live off whatever charm/smarm they had available.

Alex could postively enagage, contribute, learn, develop and earn his place but instead he has chosen to behave in a manner which I find hard to stomach.

A certain "ruthlessness" can be good if applied postively - e.g. fighting for the best price, identifying weakness in order to avoid bad planning etc However the type of ruthlessness that's been displayed by some of this years candidates has been thoroughly unpleasant.....snide.
  • Options
    2LO2LO Posts: 1,512
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    **Nora** wrote: »
    I don't think many people deliberately lie. As the OP states, they are being filmed. I think The Apprentice candidates are just like everybody else. They remember things the way they saw them. What we see is so distorted - we join conversations in the middle, we don't see the boring stuff, etc, etc, that it's really hard to know any objective truth.

I very much agree with these two posts.

People are far to quick to assume that because, in the relaxed atmospher of watching a TV programme, they can remember what happend, in their time frame, 10 minutes ago, that the candidates, in incredibly highly pressured situations, can remember what happened 2 -20 hours ago.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    2LO wrote: »
    I very much agree with these two posts.

People are far to quick to assume that because, in the relaxed atmospher of watching a TV programme, they can remember what happend, in their time frame, 10 minutes ago, that the candidates, in incredibly highly pressured situations, can remember what happened 2 -20 hours ago.

I am not just referring to Alex though. What about Michael? he only recently lied in the boardroom stating that everything that was 'good' in the advert was his idea when clearly Raef had worked on this as well. And Jenny C? Saying she had no idea what 'kosher' was, and then switching her story mid-way through to say that she knew of Michael's Jewish background and relied on him.

I think people are far to quick to assume that these candidates have any integrity. The fact is that in order to win a task, and esp in the board room, they will go to great lengths to lie, cheat and anything else they see fit. My point is it stupid of them to expect not to be caught out when they are being filmed for a tv show!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I am not just referring to Alex though. What about Michael? he only recently lied in the boardroom stating that everything that was 'good' in the advert was his idea when clearly Raef had worked on this as well. And Jenny C? Saying she had no idea what 'kosher' was, and then switching her story mid-way through to say that she knew of Michael's Jewish background and relied on him.

I'm not saying it doesn't happen - it does. Just that not every instance is deliberate. The two examples you mention almost certainly were.
    My point is it stupid of them to expect not to be caught out when they are being filmed for a tv show!

But how often have you seen someone lie, thought "oh, s/he's not going to get away with that" and then see them do exactly that as AS picks the person he decides to believe, apparantly at random.

What I have found particularly annoying is when someone tells a downright lie in the BR and no one backs up the person who defends themselves against it. That has happened many times and I can only put it down to people keeping quiet because they think that allowing the lie to go unchallenged keeps the spotlight on someone else.
  • Options
    InigoMontoyaInigoMontoya Posts: 1,552
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What about Michael? he only recently lied in the boardroom stating that everything that was 'good' in the advert was his idea when clearly Raef had worked on this as well. And Jenny C? Saying she had no idea what 'kosher' was, and then switching her story mid-way through to say that she knew of Michael's Jewish background and relied on him.

Michael may well be so up his own arse that he believes what he said - that the good stuff came from him. If so, that's not lying. It's also more a matter of opinion. In Jenny C's case, she said in YF that she knew Kosher was Jewish but that she didn't know what kosher specifically entailed ie. how the meat was treated. She was going to explain but SAS was looking for a one word answer. Again, not a lie - "Do you know what kosher is?" could be asking one or the other.
    I think people are far to quick to assume that these candidates have any integrity. The fact is that in order to win a task, and esp in the board room, they will go to great lengths to lie, cheat and anything else they see fit. My point is it stupid of them to expect not to be caught out when they are being filmed for a tv show!

I can almost guarantee that if they wanted to do so, the editors of the show could recut the footage to show everybody caught in a "lie" particularly if you count obfuscation and opinion in your definition of a lie. They are there. They know that what they are seen to do and say, as opposed to what they actually do and say, is a fiction created by the editors (as it must be). If they are "caught out" it is probably more a function of that than them being stupid on TV.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Michael may well be so up his own arse that he believes what he said - that the good stuff came from him. If so, that's not lying.
    I thought that but I think it's more likely that he just recklessly said whatever came into his head. He wasn't aware whether or not it was a lie because he never even assesed it in those terms.

I think most people would count that as a lie, even though it does not, strictly, qualify.
    In Jenny C's case, she said in YF that she knew Kosher was Jewish but that she didn't know what kosher specifically entailed ie. how the meat was treated. She was going to explain but SAS was looking for a one word answer. Again, not a lie - "Do you know what kosher is?" could be asking one or the other.
    Yes, she explained that very well (and believably, I thought), on YF (I failed to read to the end of the sentence which is why I appear to be changing my mind from what I agreed with above :o). But she did tell other outright porkies that I'm pretty sure she knew were not true.