Was the River Song's final episode?

124»

Comments

• newplanetnewplanet Posts: 398
    Forum Member
    Right now it is the last of River’s meetings with the Doctor that we know about. There could be numerous other meetings later in his timeline and earlier in hers which could happen (on-screen or off). And she’s still in the library, as far as I am concerned. This virtual River could potentially “live” forever. And now we know it’s possible, there could be other virtual meetings between River and the Doctor in his future (and hers) that neither of them knows about yet. There’s even scope for a storyline where the Doctor encounters both Rivers at the same time, if they wanted to do one badly enough :: passes out at the very thought ::
    claire2281 wrote: »
    He could go back and see a younger her but he won't. Never on purpose anyway. He's drawn a line under that.

"Never on purpose" is critical here. He may or may not want to see her again but I think it's almost guaranteed that he will, like it or not. You don’t have to go looking for someone to meet them if they, in fact, are looking for you. River's already told him they will have a long relationship, in as much as they will have many meetings, and we know River’s seen multiple Doctors. Didn’t she mention the Crash of the Byzantium to the tenth Doctor in the library and hinted it was near the beginning of their relationship? (In River’s timeline, amongst the sequence of events we’ve seen, it happens quite late!) That might mean that River and the Eleventh Doctor have had lots of off-screen adventures, but I prefer to think this sets up the notion that, from the Doctor’s perspective, there are indeed many more meetings still to come. The issue, of course, is whether we as spectators will ever get to witness them.

I find it interesting that, during the Doctor's very long life, there could be long expanses of time where he doesn't get to meet her. When he says goodbye to her each time, he never knows how long it will be until he sees her again. But the way I see it is there is always potential for her to show up unannounced at any time in the Doctor’s future (and therefore our future), either as younger River or virtual River.
  • alias aliasalias alias Posts: 8,824
    Forum Member
    Confidential ‏@SaveDWC 4h

The future Doctor brought River to the singing towers...yes... so it's still ahead ;-)
    I don't know if there's a connection to the show but seems like it sometimes.

And if true it may just be the Doctor leaving the tardis or coming back in bold and crying like a baby.
  • jellyfish7jellyfish7 Posts: 156
    Forum Member
    soulou wrote: »
    I think that River's role is done. They will want to re-enforce the relationship between the Doctor and Clara now and that would be difficult to do with River popping up every five minutes. It was easy with Amy and Rory as she was an important part of their lives too, but she isn't to Clara. The goodbye seemed final to me.

yep. Spot on. The decks have been cleared to allow the relationship between the doctor and clara to flourish.. But sadly only for a couple of stories with Matt. shame as their on screen chemistry is quite superb.
    I agree -
    I really think that was intended to be a final farewell to river. it certainly felt like it. She seemed to me like an interloper with Clara around..
  • jks69jks69 Posts: 76
    Forum Member
    jellyfish7 wrote: »
    yep. Spot on. The decks have been cleared to allow the relationship between the doctor and clara to flourish.. But sadly only for a couple of stories with Matt. shame as their on screen chemistry is quite superb.
    I agree -
    I really think that was intended to be a final farewell to river. it certainly felt like it. She seemed to me like an interloper with Clara around..

Really? I could see no chemistry between them at all and am sure that is one reason for the departure of Matt.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,856
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jks69 wrote: »
    Really? I could see no chemistry between them at all and am sure that is one reason for the departure of Matt.

Still sure after reading what Jenna-Louise says in the Official Announcement http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/doctorwho/articles/Matt-Smith-to-leave-Doctor-Who?
  • jks69jks69 Posts: 76
    Forum Member
    Sue_Aitch wrote: »
    Still sure after reading what Jenna-Louise says in the Official Announcement http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/doctorwho/articles/Matt-Smith-to-leave-Doctor-Who?

Yes I'm sure
  • liliroselilirose Posts: 10,204
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I hope “The name of the doctor” was River’s last appearance. I was never keen on her and surely am not keen on seeing her anymore.
    I agree -

I agree. Personally I found Matt and Jenna to have fantastic chemistry together. She is the first companion which I have liked instantly. Clara is the best companion for me and Matt is the best doctor.
    Such a shame they couldn’t have had one more season together.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 357
    Forum Member
    lilirose wrote: »
    I hope “The name of the doctor” was River’s last appearance. I was never keen on her and surely am not keen on seeing her anymore.

I agree. Personally I found Matt and Jenna to have fantastic chemistry together. She is the first companion which I have liked instantly. Clara is the best companion for me and Matt is the best doctor.

See I only found the chemistry at its top notch during asylum of the Daleks... It was wonderful, after the snowmen it felt forced 90% of the time
  • jellyfish7jellyfish7 Posts: 156
    Forum Member
    Such a shame they couldn’t have had one more season together.[/QUOTE]

It was instant with clara for me too.. I have just been watching or rather rewatching series 7 part 2 and feeling quite glum that that's nearly it for them.. All the stories are better second or third time around and some of the moments between the doctor and clara are very poignant.. ie name of the doctor whenclara says 'that wasn't nice' it's a beautifully underplayed line.. Then at the end when he gets to her 'my clara, my clara' - it was as if they were lifelong friends but not soppy or sentimental or overblown.
    I think they're natural together and it a bloody shame the best doctor and the best companion (ever IMO) won't go on for years.. At least lets hope she stays on for a long time eh? :)
  • ThrombinThrombin Posts: 9,416
    Forum Member

Glad to see I'm not the only one who thinks they have great chemistry. So many people have been saying that the relationship seems strained that I was beginning to think I was watching a different show!
  • liliroselilirose Posts: 10,204
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think a lot of it comes down to who people's favourite companion is.. Those who liked Amy and River find it hard to like Clara perhaps. I personally never liked Amy; she is the second worst companion after Rose for me. Being stuck with Amy, River and Rory for 2 1/2 seasons out of 3 is the worst thing and unlucky for Matt's doctor. He has been superb and it is a real shame he didn't get a chance to have a full season with different companions. I thought he and Clara were the best combo.
  • Shawn_LunnShawn_Lunn Posts: 9,353
    Forum Member
    Maybe, maybe not.

She could appear briefly at Christmas but I wouldn't expect her to factor into Twelve's era on the show.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,175
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    :)I like clara and hope she stays ax
  • ThrombinThrombin Posts: 9,416
    Forum Member
    lilirose wrote: »
    I think a lot of it comes down to who people's favourite companion is.. Those who liked Amy and River find it hard to like Clara perhaps. I personally never liked Amy; she is the second worst companion after Rose for me. Being stuck with Amy, River and Rory for 2 1/2 seasons out of 3 is the worst thing and unlucky for Matt's doctor. He has been superb and it is a real shame he didn't get a chance to have a full season with different companions. I thought he and Clara were the best combo.

It's more a question of believability than likeability, I think. People complain that they didn't find Clara's reactions believable.

As an avid Big Brother watcher who frequents the Big Brother forums I can say that this applies to real life people just as much as actresses!

Rachel Rice won for being an extremely nice, selfless and thoughtful individual but the number of people who didn't beleive it and thought it was an act was pretty considerable on the forums. People distrust niceness or goodness. If you don't have an ulterior motive you must be hiding or faking something.

I can't help thinking there's a little bit of that behind the reason some people didn't connect with Clara and why I had no problem doing so.

By the way, I liked Amy too :D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,175
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    :cry:This whole river thing zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz aax
  • alias aliasalias alias Posts: 8,824
    Forum Member
    S.6 DVD box set Extras :cry::cry:

Watch in this order. Bad Night, Good Night, First Night, Last Night:cry:

http://www.youtube.com/user/mfoster2790/videos
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3
    Forum Member
    I think her last episode will be soon...
    In the Forest of the Dead (I think that's what it is called?) she says that he went to visit her in a brand new suit (new regeneration?) and gave her his screwdriver, he couldn't stop crying but wouldn't tell her why.
    Maybe it's the 12th Doctor who does this, if so, she will leave next series.
  • Sora2311Sora2311 Posts: 2,306
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    LmWeaman wrote: »
    I think her last episode will be soon...
    In the Forest of the Dead (I think that's what it is called?) she says that he went to visit her in a brand new suit (new regeneration?) and gave her his screwdriver, he couldn't stop crying but wouldn't tell her why.
    Maybe it's the 12th Doctor who does this, if so, she will leave next series.

I think you should watch the Series 6 dvd special called "Last night"
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 283
    Forum Member
    From A Good Man Goes To War;

River: It's my birthday. The Doctor took me ice skating on the River Thames in 1814.
    Rory: I've come from the Doctor too.
    River: Yes, but at a different point in time.
    Rory: Unless there's two of them.
    River: Now. That's a whole different birthday.

Hope she makes an appearance:D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 191
    Forum Member
    Sorry to disappoint but as was just said, watch the minisode "The Last Night", should be out there somewhere............
    Forum Member
    Sora2311 wrote: »
    I think you should watch the Series 6 dvd special called "Last night"

Ohno!

Moffat said loose ends would be tied up at christmas, is that what's going to happen!?
    Forum Member
    Oh I've just seen comment on that clip saying that it could be 11 saying bye to her, and the she carries on with 12 etc.. ! :)