Thinking of getting a greyhound, advice please

highland paddyhighland paddy Posts: 672
Forum Member
✭✭
Need some advice as I've been thinking of getting a greyhound for a while. Reason being I live on my own in a small flat and would prefer a dog that doesn't bark and requires little exercise. I am not working for health reasons just now so can devote time to one but hope to work again maybe within the next few months.

I am used to living on my own and without a pet so worried about having something to look after all of a sudden even if I am willing to do it. I also don't have anyone to look after it beside my mum (who I visit a couple of times a week) if I have to be out of the house for more than a few hours or go away somewhere for a day or two. There are kennels which look after dogs fairly nearby but do they do it for a day or two?

I am used to my independence and a dog is a big commitment for many years, but at the same time I am speaking from a worst case scenario as I do feel I could offer a lot to a dog, especially a low maintenance one like a greyhound. There is a park nearby as well as a sealed off artificial football pitch where it could run unleashed without fear of setting off.

Can any greyhound owners or even owners of other breeds help with advice?

Comments

• MuzeMuze Posts: 2,225
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Greyhounds are as individual as you or I, am sure they'll be one out there somewhere that fits your circumstances. They usually make lovely, if slightly goofy, companions ;-)

I would approach a few rescues, explain you situation, be honest and see what they say.

Don't be put off if some rescues turn you down, they all have different requirements, keep trying.

You might want to join Dogpages forums x
  • pie-eyedpie-eyed Posts: 8,456
    Forum Member
    If you decide to get a greyhound you won't regret it. Take advice from the rescue centres. They already know their dogs and will find a match for you. Remember you will be getting an adult dog which might not have been homed before and a bit of work will need to be put in to teaching it how to live in your home.

However, you will get the pleasure of having a lovely companion who won't demand too much but will give so much joy to you.

Don't forget, a comfy dog bed is essential otherwise you will be fighting over the couch.
  • farmer bobfarmer bob Posts: 27,595
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'd suggest reading up on the Greyhound breed first OP, plenty of websites dedicated to them. Also lots of books out there too, it'll help you get an idea if a dog would be the best move for your circumstances.
    In a heartbeat I would recommend a Greyhound, but a bit of research won't do any harm.
    Good luck.
  • riversmumriversmum Posts: 664
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    They're wonderful dogs but my fear would be that it would get used to you being at home then it's possible - as with any dog that you could get separation anxiety issues when you return to work and in a flat that can cause big problems if it barked and the neighbours weren't happy - don't be misled, a lot of greyhounds do bark, I've got 3 of them!!! I'm not saying it should stop you getting one but it's something you need to be aware of. Also if you do return to work will it be full time, how long would the dog be alone? It may not be able to go all day without needing to go out and if so would you pay someone to go and take it for a short walk as you've said you don't have any support if you can't be there. Kennels will do short bookings but may not in summer at their busy times. A few do do doggy day care but you'd need to be sure they understood greyhounds and you were happy to leave it there.

Any dog, even a greyhound is a huge responsibility and commitment and you do need to be sure you are ready for that as once you've adopted a dog it's not easy to find a good home or rescue to take it because there are so many looking for homes - which conversely is a great reason to adopt - but only if you are sure about it. Obviously there are the financial implications to consider - greyhounds are very accident prone, our 3 greys and whippet keep our vet in business!

Sorry if that sounds negative but it is a big decision. Yes they are wonderful and I could go on for ever about the joys of them too and if you're sure you can meet their needs then go for it. I know a few people who live in flats and have one.

A good forum to join for lots of information, advice and support is Greyhound gap. They home greyhounds all over the country if you were interested in adopting from them. Not sure what area you're in but what about seeing if there is a greyhound rescue near you that you could go along and volunteer to walk some of the dogs looking for a home? All rescues need more dog walkers. That way you'll get to know more about them, talk to people who know them and it may help you make your decision. Some rescues use foster homes for dogs and are always looking for more fosterers. A lot of fosterers do 'fail' and go on to adopt dogs that fit in really well.
    Good luck
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 540
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    riversmum wrote: »

Any dog, even a greyhound is a huge responsibility and commitment and you do need to be sure you are ready
    Good luck

I second this time and time again. Walking my dog this morning in the wind and rain I met up with 80% less of the normal dog walking folk we normally see. Being a responsible dog owner is an every day commitment and I am so passionate about those considering a dog really know what is involved. It is a huge decision that does affect every part of your life.

Since having my dog I have met so many new people, some just to say "Good Morning" but a few have become very close friends. You say you want a dog that requires little exercise. Can I ask why? That is the best part Imo but apologies if your health reasons are why. Honestly its wonderful to get out with a dog, you can go to so many places and the dog will love it. The health benefits are great. Maybe you need an older dog if you don't fancy much walking.

Anyway my dog has a greyhound pal who we see some mornings and he is lovely. Don't know much about him but he is very calm and very soft.

What about a smaller but older dog, maybe 8 plus years.
  • CBFreakCBFreak Posts: 28,602
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Something you need to be aware of about Greyhounds is that you need to feed them from a raised bowl.
    Sort of like this one: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Trixie-Dog-Bar-Height-Adjustable/dp/B0009587QK/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1412604595&sr=8-3&keywords=raised+dog+bowl

It's because feeding from the floor for a large breed like a greyhound can cause difficulty in digestion, risk of bloat and is not very comfortable for the dog.

Of course I'm sure you've research loads but always worth knowing.
  • Zidane82Zidane82 Posts: 6,899
    Forum Member
    I'd suggest a whippet. Similar experience on a smaller scale.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Zidane82 wrote: »
    I'd suggest a whippet. Similar experience on a smaller scale.
    Whippets aren't always the sweet laid back dogs people think they are. Many of them have a really high prey drive, they were used to bring down prey like deer. Generally speaking greyhounds are more chilled out and if you're looking for a rescue there are many many times more greyhounds looking for a home than whippets.
    Greyhounds aren't so big really.
  • pie-eyedpie-eyed Posts: 8,456
    Forum Member
    Whippets aren't always the sweet laid back dogs people think they are. Many of them have a really high prey drive, they were used to bring down prey like deer. Generally speaking greyhounds are more chilled out and if you're looking for a rescue there are many many times more greyhounds looking for a home than whippets.

I have seen two tiny whippets chasing a deer while their owner screamed after them. They were relentless in pursuit and not good to watch. Thankfully the deer got away from them. My large greyhound,on the other hand, was the biggest wuss ever and was absolutely terrified if a deer ran past him. He was fascinated to see them from a distance but close up they were far too scary.
    Forum Member

Compared to Great Danes ? You were doing so well until then :)
    Forum Member
    pie-eyed wrote: »
    I have seen two tiny whippets chasing a deer while their owner screamed after them. They were relentless in pursuit and not good to watch. Thankfully the deer got away from them. My large greyhound,on the other hand, was the biggest wuss ever and was absolutely terrified if a deer ran past him. He was fascinated to see them from a distance but close up they were far too scary.

It's all about opinion. We regularly see Greyhounds join in the fun in the local park but it's clear that they are seeing the other smaller dogs as possible prey when they are chasing them down.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Compared to Great Danes ? You were doing so well until then :)
    Given that I live in a small house with 3 greyhounds and a whippet cross I know how 'big' they are! They like to stretch out but curl up small too. Our GSD was a far 'bigger' dog than they are.
    A lot of the girls are quite petite, often 23/24 tts and of course being slender makes a difference!

Whilst a lot of greys are undeniably prey driven not all are. There are a lot of dogs thrown out by trainers because they don't have a prey drive.
    I know a girl who came straight off the track and her idiot trainer homed her to a couple with 2 teacup Yorkies and Pomeranians! fortunately she was fine with them even out running in the park but it could have been so different.....
    That's why, if you have cats or other dogs it's important to go to a good greyhound rescue who know their dogs and thoroughly assess them to get the right one. Some rescues get dogs that have never raced and they tend to be ok with other dogs.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's all about opinion. We regularly see Greyhounds join in the fun in the local park but it's clear that they are seeing the other smaller dogs as possible prey when they are chasing them down.
    If they are really seeing them as prey I hope they are muzzled as the other dogs would be dead if not! Greyhounds do tend to play full on and can frighten other dogs and owners. I think it's because ex racers haven't usually been brought up 'normally' and are often kennelled together with no one to stop 'play' when it gets out of hand. Also a lot of ex racers never see another breed of dog as their world is the trainers kennels and the track so only see greyhounds so when they come out in the real world they often don't know what to make of these strange things! With care most accept other breeds of dogs eventually.

Some greyhounds try to get other dogs to chase them, one of mine does, she wants to be the 'bunny' which is safer than the ones who want the other dog to be the 'bunny'!
  • Aarghawasp!Aarghawasp! Posts: 6,205
    Forum Member
    Ooooh time to resurrect the Pointy Dog Appreciation Thread! Some links in here OP. :)

http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1845089&highlight=pointy+dog+appreciation+thread
  • *starburst**starburst* Posts: 315
    Forum Member
    I have to agree - ex racer Greyhounds make the most amazing, appreciative, wonderful pets. I got mine when he was almost 3 (and retired off due to an injury >:() and he settled into my home like he had always meant to be there...

He is smaller than an average greyhound, but just as lazy!! Please do consider a retired racer from the RGT - I have a friend who got one as a puppy (never been raced) and he was a big old nightmare!!! Loud, and giddy and destructive.

Mine has never had an accident inside the house, doesn't bark, doesn't like to walk in the rain, doesn't like to run, won't leave my side, rarely moves off his "own" couch, but I love him more than anything!!!

I salute you for considering one, regardless of your situation, they are the most mis-understood and abused breed of dog, yet the most loyal companion.