Cats have both decided to stay indoors.

Sharona68Sharona68 Posts: 1,915
Forum Member
✭✭✭
My 2 cats have always used a cat flap and I've never needed a litter tray.

Until now. They have both taken root inside and refuse to go out.

I cannot abide litter trays but don't know how to make them go outside again.

Any suggestions?

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 215
    Forum Member
    Sharona68 wrote: »

Any suggestions?

Pick up the cat, open the door, put the cat outside and then close the door.
  • Sharona68Sharona68 Posts: 1,915
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ha ha, yes I have done that. But then they make a fuss to be let back in, which I do, as I don't like to leave them out in this weather.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,864
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ha ha, yes I have done that. But then they make a fuss to be let back in, which I do, as I don't like to leave them out in this weather.

would you want to go outside to the toilet in bad weather?
  • CRTHDCRTHD Posts: 7,602
    Forum Member

Any suggestions?

Is there a new cat on the block? They may be scared / have had a confrontation?

Do you have a tray / could you put it outside, under cover (perhaps under a garden table)?

Ours goes outside (willingly) regardless of the weather, so I doubt it's that.
  • CBFreakCBFreak Posts: 28,602
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Try a hooded Litter Tray. They have filters in some of them to reduce smell.
  • Sharona68Sharona68 Posts: 1,915
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    CRTHD wrote: »
    Is there a new cat on the block? They may be scared / have had a confrontation?

Do you have a tray / could you put it outside, under cover (perhaps under a garden table)?

Ours goes outside (willingly) regardless of the weather, so I doubt it's that.

I thought yesterday that I would put a tray underneath the garden table and make sure it was dry.

They both used to go out willingly regardless of the weather too, so maybe there is another cat about.
  • bluebladeblueblade Posts: 88,859
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Any suggestions?

The weather has changed. Mine suddenly isn't going out very much.

Just a couple of weeks ago, she was spending hours outside, which had been the case since May.
  • MuzeMuze Posts: 2,225
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You cannot abide litter trays?!
    So you let other people deal with you pets' shit? >:(

Keep them in, be a responsible pet owner!

or stick them over the fence of the nearest garden with a big dog in, make his day.

Feckin' stuck up cat owners
  • dollymariedollymarie Posts: 3,562
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Aren't you lovely, advocating dogs ripping cats to shreds :confused: :rolleyes:

Aaaaaaanyway!

My cats are home a lot more now it's darker. I usually get up about 5am to let them out, (habit wakes me up) and now they haven't even asked me to go out. Whereas when it was a few weeks ago, they'd be wide awake asking to go out.

They're also both coming home at about 7-8 pm and then happy to be shut in for the night, whereas when it was lighter, they'd be out til 9-10pm

I quite like it, as I barely see one of my cats in the summer as he's out all the time.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Muze wrote: »

or stick them over the fence of the nearest garden with a big dog in, make his day.

How do you know that the OP's cats didn't do their wee and business in her garden ? Oddly enough that's what most actually do.

A very presumptuous and unpleasant post on your part.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    dollymarie wrote: »
    Aren't you lovely, advocating dogs ripping cats to shreds :confused: :rolleyes:

Aaaaaaanyway!

My cats are home a lot more now it's darker. I usually get up about 5am to let them out, (habit wakes me up) and now they haven't even asked me to go out. Whereas when it was a few weeks ago, they'd be wide awake asking to go out.

They're also both coming home at about 7-8 pm and then happy to be shut in for the night, whereas when it was lighter, they'd be out til 9-10pm

I quite like it, as I barely see one of my cats in the summer as he's out all the time.

Exactly how mine is. This morning she was asleep on my bed. A few weeks ago at the same time, she'd have been meowing at the back door to go out.
  • misha06misha06 Posts: 3,378
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Are they getting older?

The Beast still goes outside for business, but has started to whimper about using the flap and he is staying out for noticeably shorter.

I think the change in weather is a factor also

Like Blueblades' moggy The Beast was in his castle (a cardboard box, made to look like a castle, another story) until lunchtime.

Perfectly happy, dreaming his cat dreams and having his cat thoughts.

If it was me, I wouldn't be too bothered at the mo; I would shove them out once in a while, I would be more concerned if they weren't eating or messing inside.:):)
  • dekafdekaf Posts: 8,398
    Forum Member
    misha06 wrote: »
    Are they getting older?

The Beast still goes outside for business, but has started to whimper about using the flap and he is staying out for noticeably shorter.

I think the change in weather is a factor also

Like Blueblades' moggy The Beast was in his castle (a cardboard box, made to look like a castle, another story) until lunchtime.

Perfectly happy, dreaming his cat dreams and having his cat thoughts.

If it was me, I wouldn't be too bothered at the mo; I would shove them out once in a while, I would be more concerned if they weren't eating or messing inside.:):)

:D:D:D - Please share.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,924
    Forum Member
    dekaf wrote: »
    :D:D:D - Please share.

Twice. :D:D Please? :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 17,123
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Muze wrote: »

You're a sick piece of scum. Idiot.
  • misha06misha06 Posts: 3,378
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    avasgranny wrote: »
    Twice. :D:D Please? :)

Ok...but I might have bigged it up :blush:

I was in Morrisons and randomly they had some sturdy cardboard boxes at the end of the tills, so I decided to use one rather than taking a load of bags.

Came home and just dumped it at the end of our living/dining room.

The Beast immediately decided this was a cool place to embed himself, and jumped in, curled up and dreamed his cat dreams (probably involving the hunting and general gitness)

He would pop his head up when I came down in the morning, scoff breakfast and jump back in the box. The OH said he was the king in his castle, so a couple of weekends back, bored, I castleated (sp) the top, drew on a drawbridge and arrow slots and attached a flagpole with a flag. (boredom is a terrible thing)

He loves it.

With winter/colder times coming he is getting to be a bit of a git for constantly demanding food. If he is denied, he will go and sit in his castle and glare at us.

I told the OH that he his telling us that "Your mother is a hamster and your father smells of elderberries" (thank you Monty Python:D)

Being Russian, she doesn't get the reference but she found it hilarious anyway.

We have a 'House Gremlin' which my MIL gave us when we got married - it's a wicker, gnome like thing - For some reason it spooks The Beast something awful and he hates it with a passion.

As an experiment, I put it in his castle whilst the OH was feeding him, after snarfing his grub he trotted to the castle and jumped in.

He went mental, hissing and screaming and biting the Gremlin, shaking the castle until I removed it. He didn't run away like he usually does when I annoy him by bringing the Gremlin close to him. (I'm as much a git as The Beast)

The castle is his, and no invaders are gonna survive.

Sorry OP for hijacking your thread:blush:
  • dekafdekaf Posts: 8,398
    Forum Member
    misha06 wrote: »
    Ok...but I might have bigged it up :blush:

I was in Morrisons and randomly they had some sturdy cardboard boxes at the end of the tills, so I decided to use one rather than taking a load of bags.

Came home and just dumped it at the end of our living/dining room.

The Beast immediately decided this was a cool place to embed himself, and jumped in, curled up and dreamed his cat dreams (probably involving the hunting and general gitness)

He would pop his head up when I came down in the morning, scoff breakfast and jump back in the box. The OH said he was the king in his castle, so a couple of weekends back, bored, I castleated (sp) the top, drew on a drawbridge and arrow slots and attached a flagpole with a flag. (boredom is a terrible thing)

He loves it.

With winter/colder times coming he is getting to be a bit of a git for constantly demanding food. If he is denied, he will go and sit in his castle and glare at us.

I told the OH that he his telling us that "Your mother is a hamster and your father smells of elderberries" (thank you Monty Python:D)

Being Russian, she doesn't get the reference but she found it hilarious anyway.

We have a 'House Gremlin' which my MIL gave us when we got married - it's a wicker, gnome like thing - For some reason it spooks The Beast something awful and he hates it with a passion.

As an experiment, I put it in his castle whilst the OH was feeding him, after snarfing his grub he trotted to the castle and jumped in.

He went mental, hissing and screaming and biting the Gremlin, shaking the castle until I removed it. He didn't run away like he usually does when I annoy him by bringing the Gremlin close to him. (I'm as much a git as The Beast)

The castle is his, and no invaders are gonna survive.

Sorry OP for hijacking your thread:blush:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aHuy7OfqYGk#t=159 - :D Is this you?
  • jabegyjabegy Posts: 6,201
    Forum Member
    My cat, who's now 11yrs old started doing that after my husband died, previously she would always go in the garden, but I got her a litter tray and now she uses that. She doesn't seem to want to out in the garden any more, I think it's her age.

And for your information 'Muze' since she was 10 mnths old and was knocked down by a car & broke her leg and pelvis she has never ever been out of our garden, what a horrible thing so say, I bet you make a great next door neighbour.!!!