Do you like Jennifer Lopez older hits better than the collabs she does with Pitbull?

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,106
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I do. Maybe except for On The Floor that was really good and catchy but the other 2 I feel that she's using Pitbull in order to be relevant music success wise but doesn't it make you miss old J.Lo back when she had hits in the late 90's and early 2000's?

Comments

• MaksonMakson Posts: 30,452
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes I love Ain't It Funny (original version) and Waiting for Tonight
  • LMLM Posts: 63,334
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I prefer J-lo's old hits. I prefer her when she did R&B to be honest. It didn't sound recyclable and forgettable.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,058
    Forum Member
    Obviously. She still makes catchy songs, but most of them sound dated just a few months after release. Her old urban sound was much better and seeing how 'LIU' flopped, I'm not the only one who prefers urban Jennifer. :cool:
  • glyn9799glyn9799 Posts: 7,391
    Forum Member
    I love On the Floor, and it was quite rightly a massive hit. Her others with Pitbull are just forgettable imo.

Her best singles were from the J Lo years. Play, Ain't it Funny, I'm Real (all versions) and I'm Gonna Be Alright.
  • mimicolemimicole Posts: 50,917
    Forum Member
    I'm not really a fan of Jennifer Lopez but her older stuff is better than the newer stuff.
  • cnbcwatchercnbcwatcher Posts: 56,681
    Forum Member
    I like her dance songs but her urban/R&B stuff is better. I think that style suits her better than pop.
  • BadKid95BadKid95 Posts: 7,137
    Forum Member
    Hopefully she's now learnt that working with Pitbull is not a winning formula over and over again, On the Floor was huge but she will never have a collaboration with him that big again. To be honest, I hate it when she uses rent a rappers, songs like Love Don't Cost A Thing, Waiting For Tonight and Get Right, where she's solo are great

So to answer the OPs question, I prefer her earlier material
  • wef0undl0vewef0undl0ve Posts: 6,460
    Forum Member
    Mixed tbh, I loved Jenny from the block, Get right & do it well but I love all her collabs with Pitbull especially Live It Up :o:D
  • Eric_BlobEric_Blob Posts: 7,756
    Forum Member
    I liked her songs with Ja Rule and Ashanti more. They're far more talented and versatile than Pitbull imo.

I think this might be the end of her dance songs though. Live It Up did so poorly, they're not going to try another song like that again.
  • ratty0ratty0 Posts: 2,720
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes. I don't mind Pitbull in small doses but generally I'm not a huge fan whoever he's collaborating with, all of the songs get a bit samey and are not original enough. I didn't mind On The Floor, but I'm a bit bored of the rest of them.

Like others have said, I preferred her collaborations with Ja Rule etc - but I guess he is no longer the chosen guest rapper these days... I preferred her older stuff though.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,280
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I love her older stuff like Waiting For Tonight, Let's Get Loud and Play. I also like her new stuff as well. :D Yes, after On The Floor, they sound similar to each other, in regards to the Pitbull collaboration, but I enjoy listening to them. I really like Live It Up. :o I'm Into You, Follow The Leader and Papi were great singles as well. The only new stuff I didn't like was Goin' In. Dance again was OK.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 296
    Forum Member
    Strangely, On The Floor is one of my favourite songs of all time ! Love old and new though - Papi, Invading My Mind, Hypnotico are all great tracks! But Aint It Funny (pop version), Jenny From The Block and Love Dont Cost a Thing are all classics
    Forum Member
    ratty0 wrote: »
    Like others have said, I preferred her collaborations with Ja Rule etc - but I guess he is no longer the chosen guest rapper these days...

I think that's because he's been in prison for years lol.
  • umr3000umr3000 Posts: 1,942
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Without a shadow of a doubt I think Jennifer Lopez's recent music releases cannot be compared to her previous efforts. Jennifer stormed the charts with her debut single 'If You Had My Love' back in 1998 and followed that up by one impressive single after another including the likes of Waiting For Tonight, Love Don't Cost A Thing, Play, Ain't It Funny, I'm Real, All I Have, I'm Gonna Be Alright, The Murder Remixes and many more. Till this day I still love to hear music from her first four albums, however since then she's not really had that many great songs and her standard of music has slipped apart from the occasional hit like 'Get Right' or 'On The Foor'.

Currently Jennifer is just releasing generic throw away songs that don't really have much repeat value, and are pretty much following trends rather than setting them. The whole RedOne productions and Pitbull collaborations are so predictable and plain dull... it's time for her to change it up ASAP!
  • SuperAPJSuperAPJ Posts: 10,402
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I thought "On The Floor" was great but Jennifer's starting to bore me now by repeating the same sound. For me, her best era was about 12 years ago (wow, time flies!), when she collaborated with the likes of Ja Rule and Nas and of course released "Jenny From the Block".
    umr3000 wrote: »
    Waiting For Tonight, Love Don't Cost A Thing, Play, Ain't It Funny, I'm Real, All I Have, I'm Gonna Be Alright, The Murder Remixes

Ah, she just doesn't make 'em like she used to.
  • umr3000umr3000 Posts: 1,942
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    She needs to return to her more urban sound and influence, it suits her image a lot more.
  • tommYHYHtommYHYH Posts: 162
    Forum Member
    Now that Ja Rule is out of prison, I hope she reconnects with him, just for one more track. I think all the fans want a Jennifer Lopez ft Ja Rule single
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 479
    Forum Member
    She's always been an artist who cribs onto the pop trends of the time, and happens to mostly get her hands on fantastic songs. If You Had My Love and Waiting for Tonight are two of my favourites, along with Play.

Love Don't Cost a Thing is also a decent song, but around that time it seemed she was always singing about how low-maintenance and 'normal' she was and that got a bit annoying because it was so far from the truth.

On the Floor was a stroke of luck that revived her flagging career, but the way she's tried to replicate that over and over again is annoying. Live It Up was just noise and a Pitbull verse lol.

I don't think there's anything particularly special about her as an artist though. She's somebody who only really chases commerce, I wouldn't say she has any real input in her music or its 'sound', she just goes with whatever's popular at the time. I like her, but let's call a spade a spade here.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 572
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've never seen what all the fuss was about with J-Lo. She has pretty much always bored me to tears.
  • glyn9799glyn9799 Posts: 7,391
    Forum Member
    Pitbill annoys me. The way he does that stupid laugh after every line is just plain irritating. He has a habit on appearing on otherwise great songs too :(
  • SuperAPJSuperAPJ Posts: 10,402
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ^ I agree about the laugh but I think it might just be his way of filling a lyrical gap in order to maintain the rap flow, like how many rappers irritatingly exclaim "Uh!". What I get more annoyed by is that "weeeee-ooooo!" thing (I don't know how to spell or describe it!) he does when he's about to rap on someone else's song. I think most of his recent J-Lo collaboration was just him doing that!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 22
    Forum Member
    On the Floor is excellent, and Fresh out the Oven and Dance Again are okay, but Live It Up is just bad. She needs to go back to doing pop/R&B with Darkchild, Cory Rooney and TrackMasters.

And I don't get why people are praising Ja Rule. The best versions of the Murder Remixes of I'm Real and Ain't It Funny are the radio edits that cut down on him.
    Forum Member
    SuperAPJ wrote: »
    ^ I agree about the laugh but I think it might just be his way of filling a lyrical gap in order to maintain the rap flow, like how many rappers irritatingly exclaim "Uh!". What I get more annoyed by is that "weeeee-ooooo!" thing (I don't know how to spell or describe it!) he does when he's about to rap on someone else's song. I think most of his recent J-Lo collaboration was just him doing that!

All Pitbull does is basically shout the weehoo thing, talk about Kodaks and yell random words in Spanish. I did like Calle Ocho and Hotel Room Service, but I find him boring now.
    Nuerco wrote: »
    On the Floor is excellent, and Fresh out the Oven and Dance Again are okay, but Live It Up is just bad. She needs to go back to doing pop/R&B with Darkchild, Cory Rooney and TrackMasters.

And I don't get why people are praising Ja Rule. The best versions of the Murder Remixes of I'm Real and Ain't It Funny are the radio edits that cut down on him.

Ja Rule is awesome lol. Even without J-Lo, he has so many classic songs now, Ptibull probably won't have any in 10 years time.

To be honest, I think J-Lo's next single will be rhythmic/urban. That style of music is making a comeback to the charts because of Blurred Lines, Thrift Shop, Mirrors and so on, so I'm sure J-Lo and most other people that did R&B music will go back to it, now they've seen how big Blurred Lines was.
  • rivercity_rulesrivercity_rules Posts: 24,270
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    100% prefer the older stuff.

Play, Waiting for Tonight, I'm Real (Mainly original version), Ain't It Funny (Both Versions), Control Yourself (With LL Cool J), All I Have, Hold You Down, I'm Glad, Get Right etc etc are all better than her recent Pitbull colabs.

I even really liked Hold It Don't Drop It and Do It Well.

She's one of those artists who I only remember how great their back catalogue is when I start to list them. I think Play is my favourite, but I love Hold Me Down and Love Don't Cost a Thing a LOT also.
  • goldframedoorgoldframedoor Posts: 1,649
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mixed tbh, I loved Jenny from the block, Get right & do it well but I love all her collabs with Pitbull especially Live It Up :o:D
    Me too! :cool: Two other of my favorites by her are "All My Love" and "I'm Glad". "I'm Glad" gives me a warm and fuzzy feeling inside just think about the song! :)