Options

My dogs suddenly developed a limp

bazellisbazellis Posts: 5,405
Forum Member
My dog has suddenly developed a limp in his front left leg after going for a walk. He was running round chasing after sticks as usual then when it came to walk home he started limping ever so slightly. This then gradually got worse after a few hours until now he's finding it difficult to put any pressure on it at all. I've inspected his paw and leg for any cuts of signs of swelling and everything looks OK. He doesn't appear to be in any pain and still runs up the stairs (albeit on one leg) and is eating normally.
I don't really want to go to the vets as I don't have insurance.
Is it possible he could just have strained a muscle or could he possibly have broke a bone?

Comments

• Options
    TWSTWS Posts: 9,307
    Forum Member
    could have done anything if he not ok by monday get him to the vet for a consultation will only be approx £30.00 and any treatment hardly worth worrying about, insurance whether you have it or not it is no excuse not to go the vet and get the dog checked
  • Options
    xdowxdow Posts: 2,388
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    if he's no better tomorrow, please take him to the vet, or at least call one for advice.

if he's not using it at all, it will be causing him pain and discomfort.

he may have just overdone it but it sounds as though he needs looking at
    if nothing else he can at least be given some pain relief by the vet.
  • Options
    sesmosesmo Posts: 740
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Have you checked really thoroughly between his toes/pads? Could be a small thorn/stone thats working it's way in. My dg used to get them and they were hard to see as he had hairy feet.
  • Options
    CRTHDCRTHD Posts: 7,602
    Forum Member
    So how is he today?:)
  • Options
    crazybabecrazybabe Posts: 324
    Forum Member
    How old is your dog - perhaps its an arthritic problem

Unfortunately, being the owner of a pet means you do get vet bills....so please take him to get it checked out.
  • Options
    bazellisbazellis Posts: 5,405
    Forum Member
    Just to let you know his limp is now a lot less pronounced and he's starting to put some weight back on it. He's still himself, showing no signs of pain and is still eating normally, so I'm hoping it was just a strain. If he's still limping on Friday I'll take him to the vets.
  • Options
    FCUKFCUK Posts: 1,258
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Like us, cats/dogs can develop a slight strain or bruised bone. Glad to know he's getting better, perhaps it was a strain. And if thats all it was there your right in thinking not to go to vets as strains can heal perfectly on it's own without a trip to the vets. However we can only guess if it's a strain, there could be other possible problems. But since the limp is starting to wear off, it certainly points towards a sprain. Wait until Friday, if there is still a slighest limp no matter how small go to vets asap.

Vets are soooo skilled and can easily tell if it's a sprian or bruised bone.
  • Options
    KidPokerKidPoker Posts: 4,294
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Glad to hear that. He probably slightly sprained it. Nothing to worry about and a nice rest will help.