Options

New Sky HD EPG Single Feed Mode Doesn't Work.

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 123
    Forum Member
    rewind and bobcar -

You are both correct.

rewind - I am glad someone else understands what I was saying that you can still use the dummy method successfully in single feed mode.

This is what we are hoping Sky will address - like bobcar says - it is clearly not working as it should.

Chris
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 146
    Forum Member
    desserts wrote: »
    rewind and bobcar -

You are both correct.

rewind - I am glad someone else understands what I was saying that you can still use the dummy method successfully in single feed mode.

This is what we are hoping Sky will address - like bobcar says - it is clearly not working as it should.

Chris

I just don't get this line of reasoning. Why on earth would you want to use dummy recordings when you've switched on single feed mode? If you make sure the box is in standby, it works perfectly without the need to set up dummy recordings.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    rewind wrote: »
    Here's my setup and problem:

Pace Sky+ HD box
    New EPG
    Single Feed Mode ON
    Dummy recording set up to use Input 2 (so it can still record stuff when the box is ON)
    Only one LNB input going to box (to Input 1)

Thanks.

Why don't you just put the box into standby? It will work perfectly without the need to use dummy recordings. As you can't record while watching another channel, why do you need to record when the box is switched on?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Mark,

I'm gonna bet that you are a Sky+ user who uses it like an old VCR, if your gonna be out you set a single show to record so you don't miss it.

The real way to use Sky+ is to have everything you watch recorded every time its on. Then when you have an hour to watch TV you look through your recorded list to find something to suit your mood.

I regularly find that I have the system on at peak time, and am usually not aware if the box wants to record something. In this case I get failed recordings.

The system does not work perfectly as in many cases of failed recordings these could have used the one available feed to make the recording.

Chris
  • Options
    rewindrewind Posts: 2,636
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Why don't you just put the box into standby? It will work perfectly without the need to use dummy recordings. As you can't record while watching another channel, why do you need to record when the box is switched on?

Because I may want to watch a previously recorded programme at the same time or I may forget to put the box into Standby.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    desserts wrote: »
    I'm gonna bet that you are a Sky+ user who uses it like an old VCR, if your gonna be out you set a single show to record so you don't miss it.

The real way to use Sky+ is to have everything you watch recorded every time its on. Then when you have an hour to watch TV you look through your recorded list to find something to suit your mood.
    Chris

Chris. I plead guilty to your charge! I agree that, if you are watching a programme, you should get a warning that a programme you have set to record is about to start. Sky needs to address this problem. Have you contacted customer service?

I think the main problem is that, to use Sky+ in the "real way", you need two feeds!!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    rewind wrote: »
    Because I may want to watch a previously recorded programme at the same time or I may forget to put the box into Standby.

As far as I know, if you are watching a recording, then any recordings in your planner should be successful, as input 1 is effectively "free" while you are viewing a recording.

As far as "forgetting" to put the box into standby is concerned, if you really want to record something......

Remember, if you leave the box on, how is it supposed to know you're not watching TV at that moment?? However, if you ARE actually watching live TV, then you should get a warning that a recording in your planner is about to start, which you don't get at present.
  • Options
    Mr CableMr Cable Posts: 2,935
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Has this been sorted yet?

Is there anyone on here that is happily using SingleFeed mode for bog standard viewing recording?

And if so, do YOU find you have to leave to Box on Standby for it to record?
  • Options
    gjwgjw Posts: 43
    Forum Member
    Mr Cable wrote: »

Is there anyone on here that is happily using SingleFeed mode for bog standard viewing recording?

I am using it without dummy recording with Anytime switched off leaving the box in standby and find that it records reliably. However with back to back recordings, the second one always fails. I tried it with Anytime switched on but found it caused "no satellite signal" errors.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Mr Cable wrote: »

No sign of a 'new' new EPG yet !!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    gjw wrote: »
    I am using it without dummy recording with Anytime switched off leaving the box in standby and find that it records reliably. However with back to back recordings, the second one always fails. I tried it with Anytime switched on but found it caused "no satellite signal" errors.

Do you have padding set to "Auto"?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Do you have padding set to "Auto"?

Yes I do, I have tried changing to zero padding before and after and back to back recordings still fail. In your experience should they work?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Yes I do, I have tried changing to zero padding before and after and back to back recordings still fail. In your experience should they work?

I must admit that, since getting the new EPG, I've only made one back-to-back recording (when cricket changed from one sports channel to another) and it worked ok.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    @gjw - have you also got instant rewind switched off?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    @gjw - have you also got instant rewind switched off?
    No I will try that and report back.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    No I will try that and report back.

Did this work?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Did this work?
    No:(, zero padding, instant rewind off and back-to-back recording on same channel still fails.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 508
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You gotta cut Sky some slack, by implementing a single feed mode at least they are now acknowledging that not everyone can physically have two feeds in their home, or wishes to have two feeds per box.

The only reason I upgraded to Sky+HD was due to the new EPG with the single feed mode. I already have a quad LNB feeding four separate receivers, and couldn't face the idea of an octo LNB or a multiswitch and laying even more cables.
    At least now I have access to Sky+ without the hassle of dummy recordings and so far I've had no real issues with the EPG, as long as the box is in standby or left switched on and on the desired channel it always records.
    Back to back recording is a bit flaky, but I've just got around that by setting a manual record for things I know that will run back to back.
    I know this isn't perfect, but at least Sky have taken a step forward and hopefully will sort out a proper single feed EPG.

One for the technically minded though..... just out of curiosity is it not possible for Sky to release a box with some sort of inbuilt multiswitch that could alleviate this "one feed problem" altogether?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    linea wrote: »
    You gotta cut Sky some slack, by implementing a single feed mode at least they are now acknowledging that not everyone can physically have two feeds in their home, or wishes to have two feeds per box.

One for the technically minded though..... just out of curiosity is it not possible for Sky to release a box with some sort of inbuilt multiswitch that could alleviate this "one feed problem" altogether?

Hi there,

When I asked the same question I was surprised how difficult it was to find the answer.

With a normal TV aerial you can simply plug the cable into two tuners at once and hey-presto!

Sky will not work properly like this. The reason is as you change channels your digibox sends a signal to the LNB (the dish) and puts it in the right 'mode' for the channel you want. If two channels are available in the same 'mode' you will be lucky. Otherwise one will not work.

More specifically, there are four different modes, meaning all the channels are divided into four groups. These modes are Horizontal-high, Horizontal-low, Vertical-high, Vertical-low.

You should be able to use a quad LNB (one LNB in each mode) to feed a larger number of receivers, but each receiver will need a cable for each tuner.

Hope this helps (and hope it is technically correct)!!

Chris
  • Options
    Forum Member
    No:(, zero padding, instant rewind off and back-to-back recording on same channel still fails.

Try switching padding back to Auto.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    linea wrote: »

I agree. The title of this thread is not accurate, as it DOES work, albeit with some limitations and quirks. I haven't had problems with back-to-back recordings. I have padding set to Auto and Instant rewind switched off. I agree it's great not to have to set up dummy recordings any more.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,593
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Can I ask someone to post back and tell me how to set up my Pace 9F3002 with just a single feed.

I only have a single feed into the box with new EPG

I tried the single feed method but the box regularly comes up with no signal ( other boxes are working from the same dish are fine )

A dummys guide would be great , answering questions such
    as . should I set a dummy recording,should Anytime be set to on/off ,which input do I connect the single feed to,leave box on or off to record etc

Thanks
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 13,807
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Connect LNB input 1.
    Select single feed mode in the menu.
    This automatically sets Anytime to off.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 508
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Can I ask someone to post back and tell me how to set up my Pace 9F3002 with just a single feed.

I only have a single feed into the box with new EPG

I tried the single feed method but the box regularly comes up with no signal ( other boxes are working from the same dish are fine )

A dummys guide would be great , answering questions such
    as . should I set a dummy recording,should Anytime be set to on/off ,which input do I connect the single feed to,leave box on or off to record etc

Thanks

There's a "dummy's" guide with screenshots here: http://www.sky.com/portal/site/skycom/skyhelpcentre/producthelp?nodeId=23c67fe7-3f68-44bf-b8d9-1845492aea43&articleId=5370110
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 92
    Forum Member
    Hello - new person here

Been reading thread with much interest but haven't been able to follow all of it.

I currently live in a flat with one feed and have a standard sky box.

I'm looking to upgrade to HD and use this single feed mode - am I correct in assuming that I will need a HD box that is able to receive the new EPG?

If so what make of HD box will I need?

Thanks