Game of Thrones (Season Two)

Comments

• HelboreHelbore Posts: 16,069
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ally08 wrote: »
    A bit OT but I'm watching Lord of the Rings and remembered someone saying that although the Blackwater battle was ok it was hardly up to the standard of the battles in LOTRs.

You don't say, slightly unrealistic expectations there.

Lord of the Rings cost $300 million to make and was filmed over 18 months! Long as the films are, they're only about 3-4 hours per book.

Game of Thrones is doing at least 10 hours for each book, over a far shorter shooting period and with a fraction of the budget. We'll never see a "Helm's Deep," on the show. It would be bloody impossible!

Shame though, as it would be cool to see something on that scale. But unless someone decides to donate a few million to the producers, it ain't gonna happen! :p
  • ally08ally08 Posts: 34,709
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Helbore wrote: »
    Lord of the Rings cost $300 million to make and was filmed over 18 months! Long as the films are, they're only about 3-4 hours per book.

Game of Thrones is doing at least 10 hours for each book, over a far shorter shooting period and with a fraction of the budget. We'll never see a "Helm's Deep," on the show. It would be bloody impossible!

Shame though, as it would be cool to see something on that scale. But unless someone decides to donate a few million to the producers, it ain't gonna happen! :p

When I win the Euro Millions I will give them a few million to do a battle with. ;)

Note to self, start doing the Euro millions. :D
  • mindsetmindset Posts: 23,949
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    max99 wrote: »
    Apart from:

Leverage against Robb Stark. As we know, he's a Stark and they care strongly about family.

I accepted Sansa is leverage, as a hostage for Jaime.
    Legitimate claim to Winterfell. If all Stark heirs are killed and Sansa is the sole remaining heir, her husband becomes Lord of Winterfell. Whoever controls Sansa, controls (in the eyes of the law) Winterfell.

I accepted she is in line of inheritance to Winterfell, although I qualified her chances as tenuous. Your if is a big one.

Having Sansa betrothed to Joffrey does add an air of legitimacy and 'innocence' to the Lannister's dealing with Ned and the subsequent war with Robb. Having Sansa denounce the two of them as traitors also helps with the PR. Not everyone will believe it, of course, but not everyone has to.

Having Sansa engaged to Joffrey does add an air of legitimacy and "innocence" to the Lannisters holding her as a hostage. But what she says will have no effect on anyone that matters. Those families who already stand to gain from a Lannister King (or by the elimination of the Starks) will not concern themselves with anything any Stark says. Those families whose interests will not be furthered by a Lannister King will not be mollified by anything Sansa says.

PR positives are all very well for short term tactical advantages in peacetime. But in wartime, in extremis they are very poor substitutes for actual political/military allies. Hence the idea of Queen Marge should be a much more attractive strategic proposition for the Lannisters than anything Sansa could possibly offer.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Is this arguement about Sansa the most pointless arguement about GOTs ever?

If not it's up there in the top 10. ;)

No offence but it feels like you are just arguing to win now, agree to disagree, let it go.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I genuinely don't mean offence by the way, I know that when people start a sentence that way they are generally about to be really offensive but I get sucked into these daft arguements all the time, or at least I used to.

You find yourself arguing the daftest little point rather than just standing back and thinking yeah they have got a point, I may not agree but it's really not worth continuing.

Sorry for butting in to your row. ;)
  • max99max99 Posts: 9,002
    Forum Member
    mindset wrote: »
    I accepted Sansa is leverage, as a hostage for Jaime.

I accepted she is in line of inheritance to Winterfell,

Having Sansa engaged to Joffrey does add an air of legitimacy and "innocence" to the Lannisters holding her as a hostage.

So, even when you agree, you still have to disagree?

You have a curiously strange way of only seeing things as either black or white. You also keep expressing your opinions as absolute fact, even though this is a fictional story containing masses of grey areas and complex, layered characters.
    ally08 wrote: »
    You find yourself arguing the daftest little point rather than just standing back and thinking yeah they have got a point, I may not agree but it's really not worth continuing.

Wise words. But online forums wouldn't exist if people didn't argue over absolute nonsense.:)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

You have a curiously strange way of only seeing things as either black or white. You also keep expressing your opinions as absolute fact, even though this is a fictional story containing masses of grey areas and complex, layered characters.

Wise words. But online forums wouldn't exist if people didn't argue over absolute nonsense.:)

I totally agree, arguing about stuff that doesn't matter on the internet is what I live for.

I always try and make it a bit more fun though, bring other people in, throw in a joke or two.

There should be courses in it. :p
  • bobcarbobcar Posts: 19,424
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I much prefer the GoT method of more depth over the big scenes. Helms Deep bored me to be honest, I'd much rather they had included more of the missing stuff from FoTR even if it meant carrying over into the TT to make space - actually FoTR could easily have been two films and would have been much better for it.

They could have made big budget film versions of GoT but if they only had one film per book it would not be anything like as good.
  • OnDatKryptoniteOnDatKryptonite Posts: 1,406
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    GOT has 2-3 months of prep for casting, location scouting and design work, 4 months of filming, 3 months of post production and 60-80 million to work with. Given those constraints I think they have done remarkably well.
  • BigFoot87BigFoot87 Posts: 9,293
    Forum Member
    Not long to go now folks. ;)
  • buffyslaybuffyslay Posts: 1,582
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    BigFoot87 wrote: »
    Not long to go now folks. ;)

i'm wishing away my bank holiday here!!
  • mindsetmindset Posts: 23,949
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

What are you on about? My responses to your opening 2 points merely made the point that I had already agreed (to some extent) with other posters, yet you addressed them to me as if I hadn't and my previous posts didn't exist. How curiously strange....

I wholly disagreed with your 3rd point and explained why, yet you somehow think I agree? OK then....

How very odd. The quote of mine which inspired your 1st post was "Sansa has no political value at all, as far as I know." Well, how very black and white of me. Ooooh I'm definitely expressing my opinions as facts there. Oh...wait....

I visit this thread to talk about Game of Thrones, not other posters......
  • Apple_CrumbleApple_Crumble Posts: 21,748
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Something I'd like to see more of in GOT is one-on-one duels. We had a few of them in the first series.
  • SamGamgeeSamGamgee Posts: 1,980
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Something i've read today.. someone has predicted that Dany will see Khal Drogo in the house of the undying. Not sure about that but interesting thought.
  • Apple_CrumbleApple_Crumble Posts: 21,748
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    SamGamgee wrote: »
    Something i've read today.. someone has predicted that Dany will see Khal Drogo in the house of the undying. Not sure about that but interesting thought.

That would be cool!
  • max99max99 Posts: 9,002
    Forum Member
    What are you on about? My responses to your opening 2 points merely made the point that I had already agreed (to some extent) with other posters, yet you addressed them to me as if I hadn't and my previous posts didn't exist. How curiously strange....

I wholly disagreed with your 3rd point and explained why, yet you somehow think I agree? OK then....

Yes, I know I shouldn't reply further, but it's hard to ignore when your response is so all over the place. You agree that Sansa has value to the Lannisters, but then you say she has no value. You say you wholly disagree with my third point, but then you agree that having her betrothed to Joffrey adds legitimacy.
    I visit this thread to talk about Game of Thrones, not other posters......

I think that's probably for the best. Your posts just have a way of sticking out due to their one-dimensional viewpoint where the only thing that matter is winning the 'Game Of Thrones'. Other posters seem more focused on the characters, their motivations, fears, flaws, insecurities, loyalties, greed, revenge, etc. etc. Your sole focus on winning the Iron Throne and nothing else, does, as you may have noticed, tend to invite criticism. Nothing wrong with that, it keeps the thread ticking over nicely.
  • Jimmy_McNultyJimmy_McNulty Posts: 11,378
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I wonder how far the Hound will get. Are we placing any bets?
  • HelboreHelbore Posts: 16,069
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I wonder how far the Hound will get. Are we placing any bets?

After witnessing his one-blow swings at Blackwater -where he carved soldiers in half in a single blow - I'd say pretty far. ;)

Compare the Hound's ability to swing a sword diagonally through a man in one swing to Theon's pathetic attempt to behead a man! There won't be many who would be able to stand in his way.
  • Jimmy_McNultyJimmy_McNulty Posts: 11,378
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    After witnessing his one-blow swings at Blackwater -where he carved soldiers in half in a single blow - I'd say pretty far. ;)

Compare the Hound's ability to swing a sword diagonally through a man in one swing to Theon's pathetic attempt to behead a man! There won't be many who would be able to stand in his way.

No doubt at all. But the Hound is facing pretty much the same situation as Arya, and lets be honest, the Hound is not Arya :D

With the Red Keep now being full of Lannisters barring Jaime, Joffmeister will probably want his deserting head on a spike.
  • Matt DMatt D Posts: 13,153
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    A man stayed up late to watch the finale, instead of waiting for Monday.

A man enjoyed it.

A man is sad there is now a year to wait.
  • xynariaxynaria Posts: 24,309
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Another man thinks Alan Taylor is one of the most underrated directors working in television ...

sadly because he is directing Thor2 he can only direct one episode of series three.

Another man can only say one thing to that

pissflaps!:mad::mad:

Fantastic episode mind :D:p
  • tauran_shammytauran_shammy Posts: 5,847
    Forum Member
    A man asks "Is it April 2013 yet?"

I very much enjoyed the deviations from the books in that ep. Aside from the major scenes it was so sad seeing Maester Luwin under the tree with the boys, that made me cry, and also Varys stood out as being a great character in his scenes.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well now you have your answer about Sansa. ;)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oh my god I want to be Brienne, except for the being stupid thing the woman is a goddess. :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oh Robb you total f*ckwit.

I have something shameful to admit, I cried, like a baby, at that scene with Tyrion and Shae.

I'm not as tough as I think I am. :cry:

ETA And now Maester Luwin is making me cry.

Stop making me cry GOTs, stop it.

ETA again Oh Dany and Drogo. I'm crying again. Stop torturing me GOTs.