Options

bring back previous contestants?

stripey_socksstripey_socks Posts: 165
Forum Member
would anyone else like to see the best of the previous contestants (from series one onwards ) return to see who is the best through all the years the show has been broadcasting?

Comments

• Options
    george.millmangeorge.millman Posts: 8,628
    Forum Member
    would anyone else like to see the best of the previous contestants (from series one onwards ) return to see who is the best through all the years the show has been broadcasting?

It would be interesting to watch, but I really don't ever see it happening. The previous contestants have their own professional lives, unless they were being paid a massive fee it really isn't in their interests. And if they were being paid, it wouldn't be quite an interesting as the normal series, because, as with all celebrity editions, they probably wouldn't take it so seriously. I bet a lot of them would be dicking around.
  • Options
    thenetworkbabethenetworkbabe Posts: 45,624
    Forum Member
    It would be interesting to watch, but I really don't ever see it happening. The previous contestants have their own professional lives, unless they were being paid a massive fee it really isn't in their interests. And if they were being paid, it wouldn't be quite an interesting as the normal series, because, as with all celebrity editions, they probably wouldn't take it so seriously. I bet a lot of them would be dicking around.

The succesful people would be too successful. The theme of the show would be challenged too - as the majority of the really good people are happily working away in major corporate jobs. As a game, it wouldn't work because people would have fixed ideas of who he liked more, who could do what, and who the threats were. The dramatic version would star all the people he wouldn't have back - Katie , Luisa, Stuart...And what would the prize be? The prize wouldstill shape the winner - if its a sales job we know who the best sales people are, and they now have major jobs to match, and, if its a partnership, its going to go to whoever has the nailfile, and probably should go someone like Michelle or Luisa - with a string of successful start ups behind them.

The Young Apprentices would be interesting for some of the same, wrong, reasons. Few are following where their show stories and Sugar insights would have taken them. The junior entrepreneurs havemostly become corporate types, Russell Group university students and graduates, or joined the business teaching circle.The predictions have failed. Look where James - supposed the entrepreneur and future politician, is now - in a corporate job - and then look at Maria - who has just been elected President of the Queens University legal society - and ask who looks more likely to succeed in politics. Some don't even look like they styled themselves. or were styled. on the show - look at Zara - viewers wouldn't recognise her. .
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 19
    Forum Member
    Have to agree. If someone was able to come back or wanted to come back, you'd have to question what they were doing in their real life. I find it interesting that Trump and Mark Cuban seen to love being seen on TV all the time, as neither obviously needs the small pittance they make except Trump with the Apprentice series which he owns. I think they do it for their own egos. But the celebrities we see on the show aren't anywhere near where those two are so I don't see them appearing again.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    The succesful people would be too successful. The theme of the show would be challenged too - as the majority of the really good people are happily working away in major corporate jobs. As a game, it wouldn't work because people would have fixed ideas of who he liked more, who could do what, and who the threats were. The dramatic version would star all the people he wouldn't have back - Katie , Luisa, Stuart...And what would the prize be? The prize wouldstill shape the winner - if its a sales job we know who the best sales people are, and they now have major jobs to match, and, if its a partnership, its going to go to whoever has the nailfile, and probably should go someone like Michelle or Luisa - with a string of successful start ups behind them.

The Young Apprentices would be interesting for some of the same, wrong, reasons. Few are following where their show stories and Sugar insights would have taken them. The junior entrepreneurs havemostly become corporate types, Russell Group university students and graduates, or joined the business teaching circle.The predictions have failed. Look where James - supposed the entrepreneur and future politician, is now - in a corporate job - and then look at Maria - who has just been elected President of the Queens University legal society - and ask who looks more likely to succeed in politics. Some don't even look like they styled themselves. or were styled. on the show - look at Zara - viewers wouldn't recognise her. .

Actually, this is something interesting that has occurred to me - presumably the candidates are barred from applying for subsequent series, but what about the Young Apprentice candidates? They're all older now - would they be able to get onto a series of the main show if they wanted to?

I first thought of this a couple of years ago. It was just before Series 9 started, and I was talking to some friends about the YouTube trailer. I commented that one of the candidates (who turned out to be Leah) sounded a lot like Maria from Young Apprentice, partly due to the accent and partly just due to the quality of the voice and the tone at which she spoke. One of my friends suggested that it might actually be Maria - 'You know, she's now 18, maybe she wanted to try the main show?' Would anyone be allowed to do that?
  • Options
    thenetworkbabethenetworkbabe Posts: 45,624
    Forum Member
    Actually, this is something interesting that has occurred to me - presumably the candidates are barred from applying for subsequent series, but what about the Young Apprentice candidates? They're all older now - would they be able to get onto a series of the main show if they wanted to?

I first thought of this a couple of years ago. It was just before Series 9 started, and I was talking to some friends about the YouTube trailer. I commented that one of the candidates (who turned out to be Leah) sounded a lot like Maria from Young Apprentice, partly due to the accent and partly just due to the quality of the voice and the tone at which she spoke. One of my friends suggested that it might actually be Maria - 'You know, she's now 18, maybe she wanted to try the main show?' Would anyone be allowed to do that?

I can't think of that many who would want the prize - leaving aside the very few people can win anway issue. They are mostly nicely installed at banks, Satchi , attending the LSE (in multiple cases) or reading things like English, Law , or Politics at -Russell Group universities .Linkedin is your friend finding them here - as many are on it. If you did very well, you would be on a downer if you didn't win, and if you didn't do well first time - he would probably get rid of you quickly. And if you mentioned you had studied law, or accountancy , or business studies, or the arts , he wouldn't be that impressed.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I can't think of that many who would want the prize - leaving aside the very few people can win anway issue. They are mostly nicely installed at banks, Satchi , attending the LSE (in multiple cases) or reading things like English, Law , or Politics at -Russell Group universities .Linkedin is your friend finding them here - as many are on it. If you did very well, you would be on a downer if you didn't win, and if you didn't do well first time - he would probably get rid of you quickly. And if you mentioned you had studied law, or accountancy , or business studies, or the arts , he wouldn't be that impressed.

Out of all of the candidates from the three series, I think that Lizzie from Series 2 would be most likely to get on and do well on the main show. Lord Sugar really liked her, I think. She was intelligent, had run her own business designing and selling guitar straps, and was generally a very strong character on the show (although I feel she wasn't that memorable because that series had a lot of very good people). She was fired due to the silly twist in the semi-finals, if their team had won I think she could have had a good chance of winning. He also likes people from working-class backgrounds.

This is assuming that any of them are allowed on the main show in the first place. They may not be.