Advice about the Army

wildholliewildhollie Posts: 3,029
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Hiya All

A relative of mine has recently applied to join the army. Now my question here is how thoroughly do the army check that persons full medical history with their GP or local hospital ?

The reason i ask is because last year she was in hospital overnight after an overdose (not serious enough to warrant outpatient psychiatric care, but...)

I do not think she is emotionally well enough to cope with a life in the army, but would they ?

thanks

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 21,014
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Get her sectioned and find out.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 363
    Forum Member
    Heya!!
    A better place to ask/read up on would probably by the ARRSE forms - that is the Army RUmour SErvice forums (google it).

They have pages of advice for new recruits and you will probably get a more informed response there.
    xx
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 40,102
    Forum Member
    Someone correct me if I am wrong, but a doctor has to sign you off before you can join the army. I believe the doctor my brother seen was his local one and then he had to have an Army medical as well; I think this was more indepth, such as the usual stuff like eye, hearing and a urine test, a blood test, a physical test (my brother said he had to do exercises in just his undies?!) and then the *cough* test apparently.

The Army MOD site says you need to reveal your complete medical history. I'd imagine it'd be down to discretion but an attempted suicide - which I assume this was - will raise questions in relation to mental health. Imagine being in a war zone with suicidal thoughts?

A cousin of mine was refused entry because if psoriasis apparently (my cousin is a girl in this case). An ex-colleague of mine was refused (well, he was told not to apply at all) because he was overweight.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member
    a physical test (my brother said he had to do exercises in just his undies?!) and then the *cough* test apparently..

Damn, I knew I was in the wrong job,. :(
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 40,102
    Forum Member
    plymgary wrote: »
    Damn, I knew I was in the wrong job,. :(

Just realised the person in question is also a female :p I'm not sure the cough test is done for them... it's be interesting if a woman had a willy, though.
  • wildholliewildhollie Posts: 3,029
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just realised the person in question is also a female :p I'm not sure the cough test is done for them... it's be interesting if a woman had a willy, though.

Yes she is lol :D

Bu thanks all for your responses :)
  • babinabababinaba Posts: 5,444
    Forum Member
    did she giver her real name when she went to hospital?
  • U96U96 Posts: 13,937
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The Armed Forces are pretty strict when it comes to checking out your medical history.
    The application forms ask for the name and address of your GP.As far as i remember, they actually tell you they'll be accessing your records(with your permission).
    There's loads of physical stuff in the medical.But i don't remember being asked any psych questions.
  • d0lphind0lphin Posts: 25,353
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm not so sure they check every single applicants medical details with their GP.

My son's were checked (he's in the Navy) because he had admitted to having asthma as a child and the GP had to sign to say he hadn't had it for 3 years. However, he knows someone who didn't own up to having had asthma as a child and has not been found out so they can't have checked with their GP.

Having said that - if you lie and get caught out it would be worse than telling the truth!

PS there was no cough test - it's just a malicious rumour!
    [not that it matters if it's a female anyway, lol!]
  • ErlangErlang Posts: 6,619
    Forum Member
    d0lphin wrote: »
    I'm not so sure they check every single applicants medical details with their GP.

My son's were checked (he's in the Navy) because he had admitted to having asthma as a child and the GP had to sign to say he hadn't had it for 3 years. However, he knows someone who didn't own up to having had asthma as a child and has not been found out so they can't have checked with their GP.

Having said that - if you lie and get caught out it would be worse than telling the truth!

There is a hernia test, that is the cough test.
  • DoctorQuiDoctorQui Posts: 6,428
    Forum Member
    They will definitely find it, they are very thorough!
    And, unfortunately, it is very unlikely that she will succeed in her application as a result! Similarly if she had been under her GP for depression in the past also!

The armed forces like you to have a pretty clear health record, particularly mental health. Basic training is very very stressful and emotionally weak people rarely survive it!

Also, many armed forces personnel suffer from PTS after war zone activities. Someone with a history of mental health problems becomes a high risk in this respect!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,411
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    d0lphin wrote: »

not true, my bf had this when he joined the RAF and my brother did when joining the Army
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 64
    Forum Member
    kitty_koo wrote: »
    not true, my bf had this when he joined the RAF and my brother did when joining the Army

me too when i joined the navy, its not the plums they're checking, they're checking for lumps in the groin.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1
    Forum Member
    The Armed Services may or may not have benefits, obviously depending upon your personal attributes and qualifications. I left the university after two years to enter the military maybe for the wrong reasons. Anyway I will give a few reasons not to join as an ENLISTED person. I left after my initial enlistment of three years as I just began to get used to the organization which looking back may have been a waste of time?

If you are down and out and looking for a quick way out.

If you do not have any idea of what you want to do or how your going to measure up for the military.

If you have zero knowledge about your objectives and have no reasonably close relatives who have been there before.

If you are not ready to give up many of your prior relations for often the rest of your life and sign away your personal rights to do as you please.

If you think you would like to become an officer and start from the bottom up.

Try to analyze what you will do well and not so well and are you prepared for boot camp, the military handbook and the jolt of this new diverse culture that will most certainly wake you up and offend you.

It helps to be very smart or very physically fit.

Upward social mobility is at the discretion of a very powerful political organization that looks at all aspects of your life history, family history and present relationships.

Just a few thoughts to be READ WITH DISCRETION.