DTC - Opinion is changing.

13»

Comments

• 0...00...0 Posts: 21,111
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    patrick95 wrote: »
    EasEnders is in a far better position than it was last year - I don't think many people at disputing that so comparisons regarding quality are meaningless. The discussin is about EastEnders NOW under DTC.

He's done some impressive work - particularly between December and May- and the use of returning characters for small storyline roles is a move I find really refreshing. The main issue with with EE at the moment I feel is that all the big story lines we've seen throughout this year just....fizzle out. We get some cracking episodes and the story really seems like it's going somewhere until we get a rushed and poorly conceived conclusion followed by the abscene of main characters for weeks on end!

If we actually take a look at the stories which have played out this year -

LUCY BEALE MURDER - the early episodes surrounding Ian's grief were absolutely amazing and the primary stages of that storyline deserve all the praise it got (perhaps the rather clumsily placed 'cocaine reveal' could have been better handled, or actually shown on screen). But then the storyline progresses and the writers find themselves stuck because they don't really know how to bulk up the storyline when the actual reveal is a solid 9 months away! Jakes imprisonement and exit were massive damp squibs which served no purpose and when Jay got hauled in by the police over his whereabouts nobody really seemed to care?! It's promising little side story's like this which help to give the overall arc more oomph but they never really deliver (same with the Lauren stalking storyline which was all too brief and rather weak)

CAROLS CANCER-fantastically played by Lindsay Coulson who really is due some awards for her portal but it didn't really go anywhere did it? Carol got cancer...we saw Carol sometimes tired and ill....the whole fiasco with dumping the love of her life for no actual reason...and then it kind of just ended with the all clear. I'm not saying that Carol had to die or anything like that but some actual immediate aftermath with her struggling to get back to normal and live without her breasts would have been really interesting to watch. In all fairness I suspect that Patsy Palmers exit probably changed things around but Bianca wouldn't have been THAT essiental to the aftermath storyline surely? Especially with Sonia there to fill her role.

CHARLIE COTTON- I don't really know where to begin with this whole confusing mess and I get the feeling the writers have a backed themselves into a corner with all the secrets and twists- but will say two things: 1.) The Ronnie/ Charlie coupling is inspired 2.) is nobody else baffled that Dot and Yvonne seems to be treating back from the dead /made their lives hell/ ready to fleece them out of thousands of pounds Nick Cotton as some sort of cheeky choppy?! The scene where he was demanding **** and they all responded with a roll of the eyes as if he was a naughty schoolboy just perplexed me. His whole return has been so underwhelming because it's lacked any real drama from the family's reaction...

SHARON/PHIL/SHIRLEY- this one really gets my goat because they made such a big deal of Sharon getting her ultimate revenge- a genuinely interesting and satisfying storyline- only for them to wows out and play the "fallen back in love" card. The whole wedding day shooting story and aftermath was so farcical that I don't know where to begin - the idea that they somehow think they can bring Shirley back from this/ the idea that Sharon would even think to cover for her/ the idea that Sharon would stay with Phil and play happy families after discovering his affair/the idea that the police wouldn't go inquire further and thus discover the truth..the fact Shirley's family don't seem overly concerned that a depressed alcoholic who believes she may have killed someone has gone missing and not been heard from since......blah a blah blah ...they really took there eye of the ball with that one.

I could go on (Patricks stroke which hasn't really been seen much of Alfie/Kat and the inexplicable squatting) but I don't want to come across so overly negative - EastEnders is decent at the moment but where ever the opportunity presents itself to become truly truly great again it just shoots itself in the foot and it's back to the drawing board. It's frustrating to watch because your so aware of how hard everyone is trying.

Perfect post. Agree with every word.
  • ScrabblerScrabbler Posts: 51,220
    Forum Member
    0...0 wrote: »

Seconded.
  • Pink_SmurfPink_Smurf Posts: 6,883
    Forum Member
    I like the Carters but do agree that there may now be too many secrets, all tied up together, that means any storyline 'pay-off' for the viewer probably won't live up to the hype. The Cotton storyline felt a little flat to me, big build-up with not much 'wow' at the end of it.

Why is Babe hiding Sylvie? Why doesn't she just tell everyone Babe is staying with her (when Babe first arrived she already mentioned that she saw Sylvie from time to time, so why not mention it now)? What's the real deal with Stan/Sylvie/Babe's relationship - seem to be a ton of secrets implied? Is Stan really a villain or just misunderstood? When is Linda going to tell Mick the truth about the rape? When is Shirley going to tell everyone the truth about Mick being her son? Is there more to the whole 'Shirley burnt down the old Carter pub' than we know about (it's been implied this is the case)? It seems there's a lot to answer!!

I agree with most of this long and well thought out post. It must have taken you ages!
  • Cheryl_TateCheryl_Tate Posts: 119
    Forum Member
    EE is poor.
  • Joe_ZelJoe_Zel Posts: 20,832
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    EE is poor.

Thank you for your very concise and detailed opinion.
  • patrick95patrick95 Posts: 416
    Forum Member

Cheers! Just quite passionate because it's fristrating seeing the show get itself up for something really quite special only to just end on a whimper....
  • LHolmesLHolmes Posts: 13,887
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Joe_Zel wrote: »
    Thank you for your very concise and detailed opinion.
    That person is starting to come across as a bit of a troll.
  • EveT1991EveT1991 Posts: 12,315
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    klendathu wrote: »
    No I'm not getting him mixed up.

Lucy murder. FAIL
    Stacey Slater's return FAIL ( no fault of Lacey T)
    Alfie burning his own house down. FAIL
    A dozen Carters all arriving at once, and being installed as the premier family of the show FAIL

The only thing that seems to work nowadays is the recast of Crazy Ben.

Bring back Lorraine :D

Do you like the Carters and Stacey?
  • AuntieSoapAuntieSoap Posts: 2,074
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    bass55 wrote: »
    The show is a million times better than the sensationalist, tacky mess it became under Bryan Kirkwood, and the coma-inducing tedium of Lorraine Newman. So overall I think DTC has done a pretty good job.

To say EastEnders is 'in decline' under DTC is nonsense. Go back and watch 2011-13. I dare you. It was the absolute pits.

I completely agree. It takes time to cement things on and off screen and achieve consistency. DTC has done what his recent predecessors and Corrie in recent years have failed at: he has created popular characters with longevity. Every character will have lovers and haters but on the whole DTC has added some great characters and actors to the show.

The writing is much better but lacks consistency and I agree that there is too much emphasis on secrets and the anniversary. Eastenders 25th and Corrie's 50th should have taught producers that huge events need to be as carefully managed after the event than before and during it.

Corrie may be rating higher but the show is in disarray. I prefer Corrie but not at the moment!!
  • MrJamesMrJames Posts: 8,127
    Forum Member
    I've thoroughly enjoyed the main bulk of this year - I even thought the Summer was just about as good as an EastEnders Summer is ever likely to get. But just over this last month my feelings towards it have changed ever so slightly - I don't quite have that buzz fluttering inside me that I've had for most of this year.

They had a truly fantastic run from the fire to the wedding to the shooting to the rape and the immediate aftermath and unfortunately I think the show has weakened slightly since then with the Cottons pretty much carrying the show.

I still think the show is in a strong position overall - the sheer amount of storylines and tangled web secrets means that it is impossible for it not to be - I just feel like we're maybe buying time until Christmas, New Year and the 30th Anniversary, all of which I have every suspicion will be epic, but we seem to be in limbo until then.

I really think it's time they took the pin out the Who Killed Lucy story and let it go full steam head. The faster and pacier the twists, the better.
  • Cheryl_TateCheryl_Tate Posts: 119
    Forum Member
    LHolmes wrote: »
    That person is starting to come across as a bit of a troll.

Says you?:confused::confused: