Options

Top 10 British Sitcoms

Comments

• Options
    doe_a_deerdoe_a_deer Posts: 2,132
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    pork.pie wrote: »
    Will you please point out that there only nine listed too please, many thanks.

Haha, oh yeah I didn't notice that. The Blackadder error was more glaring to me!
  • Options
    hatpeghatpeg Posts: 3,215
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Brittas Empire
    Chance in a Million
    Sykes
    Get Some In
    Please Sir
    The Squrrels
    Barbara
    Game On
    The Ritz
    My Wife Next Door
  • Options
    clm2071clm2071 Posts: 6,645
    Forum Member
    In no order whatsoever (as they are pretty much interchangeable mood dependant)

Blackadder
    Black Books
    Red Dwarf
    Porridge
    Whatever Happened to the Likely Lads
    Yes Minister/Prime Minister
    Dads Army
    Bottom
    Father Ted
    'Allo 'Allo

Left off Marion and Geoff as I'm not sure it meets the sit com criteria, if I'm allowed it I'll have it at number 1 though.
  • Options
    GulftasticGulftastic Posts: 127,442
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    doe_a_deer wrote: »
    Clearly Blackadder should count as one entity.

Not in my book, as only Blackadder 2 is a true comedy classic.

3 and 4 were far inferior.

And in case any fans of 4 are upset by that;

'DARLING'

There you go. That should make you laugh for a minute or two and cheer you up.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,075
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Blackadder
    Father Ted
    IT Crowd
    Gimme Gimme Gimme
    House of Fools
    Red Dwarf
    Reginald Perrin
    Dear John
    Likely Lads
    Steptoe and Son
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Gulftastic wrote: »

'DARLING'

They are different series of the same show though. Not separate shows.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,075
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Gulftastic wrote: »

'DARLING'

I'll see your Blackadder 2 and raise you Blackadder 3 as being the better series...... A man's comedy preferences are his own private kingdom..... :D
  • Options
    ilovewallanderilovewallander Posts: 42,114
    Forum Member
    Torch81 wrote: »
    I was going to say the same but didn't want to get overly involved with the
    whole 'debate' going on here. :o:D

And someone just listed about 27, that's way more than the requested 10! :p

That's me, I'm just so indecisive :D I'd already put the required ten on page one!
  • Options
    Chris1964Chris1964 Posts: 19,818
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My favourite ten in no particular order.

Only Fools and Horses.
    One Foot in the Grave.
    Porridge
    Red Dwarf
    Steptoe and Son
    Fawlty Towers
    Blackadder
    Father Ted
    Dads Army
    Some Mothers Do Ave Em
  • Options
    sheila bligesheila blige Posts: 8,012
    Forum Member
    Clearly Blackadder should count as one entity.
    Not really. If Blackadder had remained at just the one series - I'd hardly rate it in my top 50 sit-coms. I thought it was dreadful. Only at Blackadder II did it become funny. Blackadder IV - for me - was actually far better than the excellent II and III.
  • Options
    SurrenderBillSurrenderBill Posts: 19,084
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Not really. If Blackadder had remained at just the one series - I'd hardly rate it in my top 50 sit-coms. I thought it was dreadful. Only at Blackadder II did it become funny. Blackadder IV - for me - was actually far better than the excellent II and III.

For the sake of this list, and since many others have counted it as an all-in-one, it will count as one.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    hatpeg wrote: »
    The Brittas Empire
    Chance in a Million
    Sykes
    Get Some In
    Please Sir
    The Squrrels
    Barbara
    Game On
    The Ritz
    My Wife Next Door

YAY! Someone else remembers this excellent series!
  • Options
    MinnieMinzMinnieMinz Posts: 4,052
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What are your top 10 British sitcoms? We are currently going through sitcoms and rating episodes to get an average score for each one, obviously we can't afford everything, but we're trying to get to those that interest us.

As part of our project we'd like a general opinion on the best ones, and this site is as good as any to get that opinion.

Of those we have watched/re-watched so far... this is our top 10... if this thread gets much response, I'll add updates. If it drops like lead, I won't bother to revive it.

1. Porridge
    2. Fawlty Towers
    3. One Foot in the Grave
    4. The Young Ones
    5. Bottom
    6. Some Mothers Do 'Ave 'Em
    7. The Vicar of Dibley
    8. Blackadder
    9. Only Fools and Horses (love this, but the average suffered because of weak episodes)
    10. Open All Hours

We're currently watching Steptoe and Son... "You dirty old man!".

Didn't care for Bottom or The Young Ones they seem to be to appeal more to the student population who like toilet humour and a lot of shouting. I don't think your list is remotely accurate and OFH's should be much higher.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    For the sake of this list, and since many others have counted it as an all-in-one, it will count as one.

In that case I can add two more to my list!

Please Sir
    Porridge
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    MinnieMinz wrote: »
    Didn't care for Bottom or The Young Ones they seem to be to appeal more to the student population who like toilet humour and a lot of shouting. I don't think your list is remotely accurate and OFH's should be much higher.

Accurate? It's just opinion, but I agree... I too thought OFAH would be higher. We're still working through a lot of other stuff, so others may crack into the top 10. We've only stopped tonight because the quality of the early Steptoes has made my eyes a bit sore.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    In that case I can add two more to my list!

Please Sir
    Porridge

You only put nine in the original list, so can you do me a favour and repost your ten, since I haven't added yours to the list I'm keeping yet anyway. Cheers.
  • Options
    JurassicMarkJurassicMark Posts: 12,877
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Something could be one of your favourite foods, football teams, songs, films, sitcoms, paintings etc etc for any number of reasons, you could find it comforting, it has a particular relevance to you, it reminds you of family members whatever but that is a different judgement to what you think the best things in that category are as that relates to the quality of the particular thing.

Some of my favourite foods certainly aren't the best foods out there, my favourite football team is not one of the best teams, lots of my favourite songs are awful songs, I like some terrible films and sitcoms as well, etc.

Favourite and best are totally different.

Favourite and best are usually the same.

In matters of personal taste (e.g. music, comedy, art, etc.) there is no absolute authority on what is 'best', so saying xxxx is best is merely expressing your favourite. There may be a consensus on what is best, but that does not make it a fact.

Where it could be argued they are different is when the 'best' can be measured in some way, such as best football team could be whoever has won most league titles and other trophies. However, you will need to come up with a globally accepted way of measuring this, are league titles given a higher value than FA cup wins, for example.

How would you possibly measure the best with the subject of sitcoms?
  • Options
    Torch81Torch81 Posts: 15,630
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    That's me, I'm just so indecisive :D I'd already put the required ten on page one!

:D I know what you mean, I've thought of a few others since listing mine.

And on that subject, I forgot about 'Barbra' add that to mine please! Omitting Keeping Up... if I need to stick to 10.
  • Options
    owl61ukowl61uk Posts: 3,008
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    In no particular order

Watching, very often overlooked
    Fall and Rise Reggie Perrin
    'Allo 'Allo
    One Foot in the Grave
    Blackadder
    Rab C Nesbitt
    Father Ted
    Brittas Empire
    Likely Lads
    Hi de Hi

What is of some concern is that most of these are at least 20 years old, like most folks lists. Are British sitcoms so poor these days? Life of Riley, anyone
  • Options
    21stCenturyBoy21stCenturyBoy Posts: 44,507
    Forum Member
    1) Bottom
    2) Blackadder
    3) dinnerladies
    4) Spaced
    5) Only Fools & Horses
    6) Steptoe & Son
    7) Red Dwarf
    8) The Thick of It
    9) Gimme Gimme Gimme (sorry not sorry)
    10) One Foot In The Grave
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    On the subject of OFAH, just looking back through our episode scores, and it didn't get into its stride right away, so a few low scores early on, and then there were some ropey specials 'Royal Flush' and 'Miami Twice (both)' come to mind, and then the average was dragged down further again by the last three episodes that really shouldn't have happened.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Favourite and best are usually the same.

In matters of personal taste (e.g. music, comedy, art, etc.) there is no absolute authority on what is 'best', so saying xxxx is best is merely expressing your favourite. There may be a consensus on what is best, but that does not make it a fact.

Where it could be argued they are the same is when the 'best' can be measured in some way, such as best football team could be whoever has won most league titles and other trophies. However, you will need to come up with a globally accepted way of measuring this, are league titles given a higher value than FA cup wins, for example.

How would you possibly measure the best with the subject of sitcoms?

I'm not saying it can be measured, I'm saying it's a different opinion than 'favourite sitcoms.'

As I said, 'favourites' may come about for a number of different reasons whereas 'best' relates specifically to the quality.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    You only put nine in the original list, so can you do me a favour and repost your ten, since I haven't added yours to the list I'm keeping yet anyway. Cheers.

Did I? I'm getting old! I'll add Rab C Nesbitt then.

Thanks!
  • Options
    JurassicMarkJurassicMark Posts: 12,877
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm not saying it can be measured, I'm saying it's a different opinion than 'favourite sitcoms.'

As I said, 'favourites' may come about for a number of different reasons whereas 'best' relates specifically to the quality.

So how do you assess the quality of a sitcom?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So how do you assess the quality of a sitcom?

Are you being serious? Any number of factors. Originality. How well the comedy element is written. How well any dramatic elements are written. How well it is acted.

The same criteria they use when handing out many awards I'd assume.