Jeremy Clarkson suspended

Comments

• nathanbrazilnathanbrazil Posts: 8,863
    Forum Member
    There's loads out there, so it shouldn't be too hard to replace a pr*ck. :D

Indeed. The Labour party have replaced one with an arse. :(

As for Clarkson, one day when enough money has been lost, the whales may finally understand that Top Gear was Clarkson in concert with May and Hammond. Right now, they could replace those three with the top three stars available to them, and the show would still fail.
  • mooxmoox Posts: 18,880
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    idlewilde wrote: »
    Final warning or not, I think this could have been resolved without this nuclear option.

The problem with this is that it would open them up to unfair dismissal suits if in the future they have to fire someone else for assault, and in the meantime it sends a message that if you're important enough to the BBC you can do anything you want. Other BBC stars have been fired for a single transgression, not the several second chances Clarkson has had for things he has said

He broke the rules massively here, and the amount of money he makes the company shouldn't come into it. Saying the odd thing out of turn, or mostly manufactured outrage like the Argentinian number plate thing can be glossed over but this is too far
  • idlewildeidlewilde Posts: 8,698
    Forum Member
    moox wrote: »
    The problem with this is that it would open them up to unfair dismissal suits if in the future they have to fire someone else for assault, and in the meantime it sends a message that if you're important enough to the BBC you can do anything you want.

He broke the rules massively here, and the amount of money he makes the company shouldn't come into it.

They could have suspended him further, ordered him into rehab, forced a public apology out of him, given him a financial penalty, asked him to undertake charity work or work with people affected by violence etc etc. There were other options surely that would have satisfied everybody.

Instead, they decided to implode one of their most valuable assets. To use an apt motoring analogy, it's like scrapping that valuable classic car because one of the wheels has fallen off.
  • mooxmoox Posts: 18,880
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    They could have suspended him further, ordered him into rehab, forced a public apology out of him, given him a financial penalty, asked him to undertake charity work or work with people affected by violence etc etc. There were other options surely that would have satisfied everybody.

Instead, they decided to implode one of their most valuable assets. To use an apt motoring analogy, it's like scrapping that valuable classic car because one of the wheels has fallen off.

I think you'd be hard pushed to find a large employer (ie not some two-man small business) that wouldn't seriously consider firing anyone who assaulted and verbally abused a co-worker while associated with the company (such as on a business trip at an hotel).

Again, you have to look at it from a more legal perspective - everything must be done by the book, and whatever cop-outs you give to Clarkson would have to be given to every other BBC employee who gets involved in something similarly bad. Presumably the BBC does not want to do this. It would also attract attention from the people who really do matter - government ministers, BBC employees, trades unions because it could be argued that the BBC is not trying all it can to maintain a safe workplace. Not to mention the usual bleeding-heart groups

And yes, while Top Gear is valuable, it's not that valuable. The BBC will easily survive without Clarkson or indeed new episodes of Top Gear (and they can still make money on all the old ones). Not enough to bend the rules for Clarkson, yet again.

The fact that Clarkson made money for the BBC should not come into it. If some low-rung BBC intern punched someone at work, would you recommend the same cop-outs for them too?
  • scottie2121scottie2121 Posts: 11,284
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Hilarious!

You're starting to come across a wee bit obsessive and detached from the real world.

Just how far would you go to save this yob?
  • Eddie BadgerEddie Badger Posts: 6,005
    Forum Member

Would they be able to trust him to actually go through with any of this without turning it into a joke? I certainly wouldn't.
    Forum Member
    Would they be able to trust him to actually go through with any of this without turning it into a joke? I certainly wouldn't.

If he's self-destructing as is being reported, then it might be what was required? Maybe getting the boot is what is required for him to sort himself out? Who knows?

EDIT: Talking of reporting, where have the last few posts gone? Don't tell me somebody has had them removed?
  • streetwisestreetwise Posts: 787
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If he's self-destructing as is being reported, then it might be what was required? Maybe getting the boot is what is required for him to sort himself out? Who knows?

EDIT: Talking of reporting, where have the last few posts gone? Don't tell me somebody has had them removed?

Did someone make a personal attack on a poster?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    streetwise wrote: »
    Did someone make a personal attack on a poster?

Clarkson?

Or is it to do with someone being told to (ironically) man up?
  • AsarualimAsarualim Posts: 3,884
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I still have a nagging suspicion thast Clarkson is actually happy to go. Since selling TG to the BBC and relinquishing control of the show, effectively becoming an employee of the BBC, i get the impression he's felt a bit restricted which has resulted in the show going downhill a bit. Now he gets to walk away without it appearing to be his choice. He's not necesarily the one who has dissapointed the fans of the show, that's the big bad BBC. He's now free to set up a new show and repeat the process with a new production company. I don't think he punched the fell just so this would be the result, but it looks like the reaction to the incident may have played into his hands. Simply waiting until his contract was up and him not renewing it would have put the blame for "killing TG" at his feet in the eyes of the fans, but now he's probably seen as something of a martyr to them so they'll flock to whatever he does next. Or maybe i'm just overthinking this and seeing scenarios that aren't really there. :)
    Forum Member
    Clarkson?

Wasn't me, I assumed you'd had those posts nuked. :p
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Nope, not me.
    Forum Member
    Nope, not me.

Ah well. Must be somebody looking out for our delicate sensibilities.
  • LakieLadyLakieLady Posts: 19,713
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sorry to snip your (excellent) post a bit Takae, but you've just emphasised what value for money the BBC really is. I will more than happily continue to pay £12/month for the kind of drama that only the Beeb seems to be able to come up with at such a low cost to the viewer/uninterrupted by highly annoying ads for washing up liquid and cat food.

Sherlock
    The Line of Duty
    The Missing
    Dr Who
    The Shadow Line
    Happy Valley
    Wolf Hall

...I could go on. That's without even mentioning that they still stand head and shoulders above any other TV news provider.

And without mentioning all the excellent comedy, drama and factual stuff on radio, esp R4.

I'd happily pay my licence fee for R4 alone.
  • stoatiestoatie Posts: 78,106
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Clarkson?

Surely it was just a joke like on Top Gear?

Seems a weird thing for the mods to act on.
  • jesayajesaya Posts: 35,597
    Forum Member
    LakieLady wrote: »
    And without mentioning all the excellent comedy, drama and factual stuff on radio, esp R4.

I'd happily pay my licence fee for R4 alone.

Indeed - although I keep thinking about this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4lzS8yW8INA

(which was, of course, made by the BBC)
  • SOHCAHTOA88SOHCAHTOA88 Posts: 2,314
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    stoatie wrote: »
    Surely it was just a joke like on Top Gear?

Seems a weird thing for the mods to act on.

I think it was a reply to another poster altogether that was the catalyst. I can't remember the name of the poster that made it though so can't see if they are now inactive.
    TBH it wasn't really that bad. Its PC gone maaaaad.
  • TerraCanisTerraCanis Posts: 14,099
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Didn't Tymon even go on to say he hoped Clarkson wasn't sacked and was looking forward to getting back to working on the show with Clarkson?

I haven't seen that, but it wouldn't surprise me. One of the undesired consequences is that Oisin Tymon is himself at risk of losing his job, not through any disciplinary action but through its no longer existing.
  • Pat_SmithPat_Smith Posts: 2,104
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's probably just me, but I'm guessing that this would have blown over by itself had Jeremy not rang up to announce what had happened. They often do.

I can't help feel that even Tymon thinks this was blown out of all proportion.

Certainly some irony in the possibility that his honest admission is what did for him.
  • Pat_SmithPat_Smith Posts: 2,104
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I hope Sky / C4-5 / ITV pick him up. Huge opportunity going to waste.
  • Ethel_FredEthel_Fred Posts: 34,127
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That's right, it sounds like they were mates to some degree. Does that make it worse? Probably.

Didn't Tymon even go on to say he hoped Clarkson wasn't sacked and was looking forward to getting back to working on the show with Clarkson?

Final warning or not, I think this could have been resolved without this nuclear option.

It was in the public arena. BBC had little choice unless they could have had Clarkson sectioned. Perhaps that's why it took so long to get rid of him.
  • benjaminibenjamini Posts: 32,066
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Dark island and I had a very mild spat re my post up above to which you replied, and he made a scathing comment and I replied in kind. No idea where his post has gone nor whether he followed it. I didn't report it nor him.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,848
    Forum Member
    I hope he has a break and gets himself sorted out.
  • SunshineSamSunshineSam Posts: 56
    Forum Member
    Straker wrote: »

It's almost like she is asking for an unprovoked smack in the mouth so that she can be told to "man up" herself.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,848
    Forum Member
    It's almost like she is asking for an unprovoked smack in the mouth so that she can be told to "man up" herself.

Now SHE IS offensive!