Options

new netbook has windows xp & i need it to have vista

asp746asp746 Posts: 7,286
Forum Member
or the latest version of windows.

this is because it doesnt support the latest version of msn messenger that my daughter likes to use. it does support the old messenger but apparently that's fairly basic in comparison.

so i'm wondering, should i just get techguys to uninstall xp and install vista or is it something i should be capable of doing?

it's a netbook so i've got no disc drive.

i'm annoyed because it's a pink girls netbook so the manufactuers must know it's going to be used for social networking and they should put the latest windows on so that it'll support the programmes:mad: customers shouldnt
have to buy new pc's only to find old windows xp on it:mad:

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 272
    Forum Member
    Hi asp746,

It may be possible to install Win 7 (or vista) to your netbook, depending on its specs (but if low on things like memory it may be a painful experience to both install and use), and you don't need a dvd to do this, you can install both Vista and Win 7 from a USB pen (granted you have to get it on the USB pen).

The TechGuys may be abe to install it for you, but you'll probably need to buy Vista or Win 7 first, you as you probably wont have a licence for Vista or Win 7.
  • Options
    StigStig Posts: 12,446
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If it's a low specification netbook then it may not run Windows 7 or Vista very well - that's why they put XP on it!

It's a bit extreme to upgrade Windows just for MSN Messenger; it will cost you £70! Have you tried this:
    http://explore.live.com/windows-live-Messenger-XP

I'm sure there are alternative instant messaging programs people can recommend too.
  • Options
    Syntax ErrorSyntax Error Posts: 27,803
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Don't take my words as gospel, but because netbooks are so cheap these days, I'm sure it would cost almost as much to have Windows 7 installed on a netbook retrospectively as it would cost to buy a new netbook with it pre-installed.
  • Options
    chiller15chiller15 Posts: 4,194
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I really would not recommend putting Windows Vista or Windows 7 on a netbook, because they are very big, clumsy, heavy operating systems compared to XP, and would severely slow down the netbook.

If you are still planning on doing this, then The Tech Guys would charge an absolute fortune for this. Firstly, you need to go on the manufacturers website (whoever made the netbook) and find their support section, and see if they have the Windows 7 drivers available. If they do not, then there's no point going further, because some of the hardware in the netbook might not work...such as the wireless, webcam, card reader, or other things like that.

If you can find the drivers, you would then need to purchase Windows 7, which comes on a disc. To get it on a netbook, you have two methods; Buy an external DVD drive for around £20, or RIP the Windows 7 disc to a PC, place the image onto a USB drive that is large enough, make it bootable, stick it in the netbook and boot from it.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10,888
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    asp746 wrote: »
    customers shouldnt
    have to buy new pc's only to find old windows xp on it:mad:

Maybe customers should check what they're buying before they buy it...
  • Options
    Forum Member
    thanks brodieman.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Pingu wrote: »
    Maybe customers should check what they're buying before they buy it...

awh to be fair if you're not into IT it's something you'd assume that a girls netbook would be installed with the latest windows to support social networking - it doesnt even let you facebook chat!!!

thanks for the advice everyone - seems like it's been an expensive learning curve - i agree it's prob too much of a pain in the jacksy to have windows installed - she'll just have to use the basic one that's installed on it
  • Options
    chiller15chiller15 Posts: 4,194
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    awh to be fair if you're not into IT it's something you'd assume that a girls netbook would be installed with the latest windows to support social networking.
    That's exactly the point. If you're not into IT, then you shouldn't assume anything.
  • Options
    c4rvc4rv Posts: 29,622
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Its got XP because its cheaper then Win7.

Windows 7 works just fine on netbooks, just don't expect HD playback, 3d gaming or running lots of apps at once. Web browsing, office, IM, etc will all work fine. And you may find it actually works quicker with a clean install of Win7 then your current installation because of all the rubbish that vendors put on factory loads.

You can buy Win7 pro for £40 from software4students.co.uk else download from the usual places. http://www.software4students.co.uk/Microsoft_Windows_7_Professional_32_bit_Upgrade_Edition-details.aspx

For install, either get a USB DVD drive for around £25, http://www.aria.co.uk/Products/Components/CD%2FDVD+Drives/External/USB/Samsung+Slimline+S084F+External+DVDRW+%28Retail%29+?productId=42046

or you can install it from USB key, http://www.intowindows.com/how-to-create-bootable-windows-7-usb-to-install-windows-7-from-usb-flash-drive-using-windows-7-dvdusb-tool/
  • Options
    Forum Member
    chiller15 wrote: »
    That's exactly the point. If you're not into IT, then you shouldn't assume anything.

it's fair doo's to presume if you have facebook that you could also use facebook chat on it ? some of these netbooks are marketed at teens ie, sold in pink etc and it's obvious they would want to fb chat on it and use the latest msn.

i can completely understand them not supporting games but you should be able to chat on it.
  • Options
    StigStig Posts: 12,446
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    it's fair doo's to presume if you have facebook that you could also use facebook chat on it ? some of these netbooks are marketed at teens ie, sold in pink etc and it's obvious they would want to fb chat on it and use the latest msn.

i can completely understand them not supporting games but you should be able to chat on it.
    You can Facebook chat on XP

Download this for MSN: http://explore.live.com/windows-live-Messenger-XP

Perhaps you could remind your daughter she should be grateful she has a netbook:
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/education-12075057 ;)
  • Options
    OrbitalzoneOrbitalzone Posts: 12,627
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I dare say her daughter isn't too pleased having an operating system that's probably as old her!

However I can't see that XP can't do what's required....
  • Options
    mred2000mred2000 Posts: 10,050
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I have XP on this laptop I'm typing on now and it has the latest MSN messenger installed and I'm able to use Facebook chat, also...

Methinks shenanigans is afoot :D
  • Options
    s2ks2k Posts: 7,421
    Forum Member
    For goodness sake just install Pidgin and tell her to be more grateful for her gifts in the future.
  • Options
    Syntax ErrorSyntax Error Posts: 27,803
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bring back Windows 95!

Life was so much more 'simples' then!!!:D
  • Options
    max99max99 Posts: 9,002
    Forum Member
    I'll post this link for the third time:

http://explore.live.com/windows-live-Messenger-XP

Have you actually tried installing Messenger?

For future reference, the colour of a computer has no bearing on the spec or the software installed. If you don't know much about IT, it's no good just guessing and assuming when you buy something expensive. There are plenty of places (like this forum) to have asked some basic questions beforehand.