Apocolyptic type novels

wildholliewildhollie Posts: 3,029
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I just read a book called Alone by T R Sullivan where a man wakes up and he's alone in the world. It was pretty good and thought provoking.

Does anyone have any other books of this genre, not necessarily zombies, but anything where some major catastrophe has occured and people struggle to survive ?

Comments

• Sue_CSue_C Posts: 1,469
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Passage by Justin Cronin. It has vampires, but not the traditional type. A very good read providing you like very long books. The follow up, The Twelve, is due out in October.
  • ironjadeironjade Posts: 10,010
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Earth Abides by George Stewart
    Davy by Edgar Pangborn
    I Am Legend by Richard Matheson
    The Chrysalids & The Day of the Triffids by John Wyndham
    Some Will Not Die by Algis Budrys
    A Canticle for Leibowitz by Walter Miller
    A Boy and His Dog by Harlan Ellison
  • TeddybleadsTeddybleads Posts: 6,814
    Forum Member
    Have a look at John Christopher, The Death Of Grass and Empty World. J G Ballard's The Drowned World or The Drought. Lots of John Wyndham's novels would probably fit though many find his style too twee.

Will Self's The Book Of Dave is very good. Half set in a dystopian future and half in contemporary London. The premise is that in the future a new religion is formed form the remains of a diary of a bad tempered London cabbie fighting for visitation rights to see his son.
  • CLL DodgeCLL Dodge Posts: 115,841
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Greybeard ~ Brian W. Aldiss
    The Death of Grass ~ John Christopher
    Eva Fairdeath ~ Tanith Lee
  • Toby53Toby53 Posts: 845
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    David Weber - Out of the Dark -Survivors from an Alien invasion try to fight back and get help from a every unexpected source
  • tremetreme Posts: 5,445
    Forum Member
    wildhollie wrote: »
    Does anyone have any other books of this genre, not necessarily zombies, but anything where some major catastrophe has occured and people struggle to survive ?

Both the novel and the film version of "The Road" by Cormac McCarthy are exactly what you describe. Be prepared for a very sad and bleak tale though.
  • ElanorElanor Posts: 13,326
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    There are quite a few threads on DS already with lots of suggestions, but some of my favourites are:

any John Wyndham, especially Day of the Triffids
    any John Christopher, especially Death of Grass and The World in Winter
    Brother in the Land, by Robert Swindells (for teenagers, absolutely excellent)
    Z for Zachariah, by Robert C O'Brien (for teenagers, and occasionally a bit simplified, but worth a read)

I HATED Cormac McCarthy's The Road, absolutely hated it, but it was a quick read and is worth a look, because some people do really love it.

Canticle for Leibowitz was ok - started really well, got mediocre in the middle, and silly at the end.
  • tremetreme Posts: 5,445
    Forum Member
    The City of Ember, and its follow up novels The People of Sparks, The Prophet of Yonwood and The Diamond of Darkhold.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Logan's Run By Nolan & Johnson (not the dire movie unless you're a masochist).
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ironjade wrote: »
    Logan's Run By Nolan & Johnson (not the dire movie unless you're a masochist).

DIRE?? DIRE???!! Omg I LOVE Logan's Run! It's genius! It's the perfect film.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Elanor wrote: »
    DIRE?? DIRE???!! Omg I LOVE Logan's Run! It's genius! It's the perfect film.

Perhaps there's another "Logan's Run" movie which doesn't have wooden acting, rubbish special effects, an embarrassing Peter Ustinov cameo and Michael Anderson as its director.:eek:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ironjade wrote: »
    Perhaps there's another "Logan's Run" movie which doesn't have wooden acting, rubbish special effects, an embarrassing Peter Ustinov cameo and Michael Anderson as its director.:eek:

All of those things make it awesome. Also Farrah Fawcett's hair, Jenny Agutter being wonderful, the cats, the leotards... Michael York being pretty... the shopping mall setting... what more could anyone want in a film? :D
  • Cellar_DoorCellar_Door Posts: 2,275
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    treme wrote: »
    Both the novel and the film version of "The Road" by Cormac McCarthy are exactly what you describe. Be prepared for a very sad and bleak tale though.

This was the first one that came to mind, thoroughly depressing and stayed with me for ages afterwards, having said that it was one of my favourite reads in the past few years (along with No Country For Old Men, by the same author)
  • TeddybleadsTeddybleads Posts: 6,814
    Forum Member
    Elanor wrote: »
    All of those things make it awesome. Also Farrah Fawcett's hair, Jenny Agutter being wonderful, the cats, the leotards... Michael York being pretty... the shopping mall setting... what more could anyone want in a film? :D

Yeah, you can't really argue with leotards like that.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    One of the best, if least known, post-apocalyptic stories is R. C. Sherriff's "The Hopkins Manuscript" aka "Cataclysm".
    It's a very moving tale of survival after the Moon crashes into the Earth told by a Mr. Pooter type narrator who finds that there may be even worse to come.
  • wildholliewildhollie Posts: 3,029
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks for the suggestions, will look into reading some of these :)
  • goldberry1goldberry1 Posts: 2,699
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Earth Abides by George Stewart

The Stand by Stephen King
  • MandarkMandark Posts: 47,963
    Forum Member
    If you can hack the long winded, old fashioned style and very expansive plot, one of the grandaddies of all these novels is The Purple Cloud (1901) by M P Shiel. As you can guess a huge poisonous purple cloud gives humanity (and our protagonist) serious grief. It's an ebook freebie now.
    http://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/11229

Eternity Road by Jack McDevitt is a more recent and more accessible novel. Future humans try to eke out a living over the remains of our civilisation. The air/space and computer age has been forgotten and huge structures have collapsed stopping majors rivers being fully navigable and stuff like that. Very interesting.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5
    Forum Member
    Hi, I'm just mentioning it as we are unknown at the moment, but my husband's ebook, “The Undead” by Michael Pugh, is all about how a zombie extinction event could happen for real. Book one of five is set in the UK. It's available on Amazon :)
  • jcafcwjcafcw Posts: 11,282
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The Reapers Are The Angels - Alden Bell
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,904
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If you want something more light hearted you could try Armegeddon The Musical by Robert Rankin
  • CLL DodgeCLL Dodge Posts: 115,841
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    This entry in the Encyclopaedia of Science Fiction has many examples (books and films):

http://www.sf-encyclopedia.com/entry/post-holocaust
  • metanoiametanoia Posts: 635
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Douglas Couplands - Girlfriend in a Coma.

Seems to be a bit of a marmite book going by reviews on Amazon, I loved it. Don't read the blurb on Amazon it spoils the book terribly.

By posting in this thread I suppose I'm spoiling it a bit, but it's well worth a read.
  • VerenceVerence Posts: 104,588
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    How about the Emberverse series by S.M. Sterling in a which an event called "The Change" occurs which leads to all forms of technology from the last 600 years ceasing to work

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Emberverse_series

Stirling also wrote another series in which it turns out that the same event that cause all technology to cease also transported the island of Nantucket back to 1250 BC where, strangely their modern technology continues to work

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nantucket_series
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Verence wrote: »
    How about the Emberverse series by S.M. Sterling in a which an event called "The Change" occurs which leads to all forms of technology from the last 600 years ceasing to work

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Emberverse_series

Stirling also wrote another series in which it turns out that the same event that cause all technology to cease also transported the island of Nantucket back to 1250 BC where, strangely their modern technology continues to work

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nantucket_series

"A Murder at Eddsford" gives a good snapshot of the series. Anthologised in "Sideways in Time".