LG Nexus 4 officially announced

Comments

• Scotty2012Scotty2012 Posts: 1,065
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I was too late buying the bumper so ended up going for this on eBay. It cost £27.15
  • slick1twoslick1two Posts: 2,877
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Read today that the nexus doesn't support USB otg which is a shame. Had a ICS ROM on my advent Vega tablet which enabled that feature. can add hard drives, keyboards, speakers, memory sticks etc.

would have been nice but nothing to gripe too much about. looking to get a nas drive soon though. Anyone got one that works well with android phones?
  • StigglesStiggles Posts: 9,618
    Forum Member
    denyo1977 wrote: »
    Simple question: do they tell you to switch all devices off before take off or not?

Just watched my Thomas Cook flight earlier and no. They say mobiles off and any equipment that has wifi on must be turned off till after take off. Then after its Airplane mode. Nothing about ALL devices. Jet 2, the same.
    kidspud wrote: »
    They do, and it is not just because of electronic interference. It is also to make sure that the crew have your attention.

Indeed, that's exactly why.
    I feel for the stewardesses as hardly anyone pays attention ;)

Yeah, the videos i have, people are just yattering away :D
    I used a few custom ROMs on S2 before, but in the end always went back to stock ROM. There was always just something not right.

Agreed. I tried some on my S2, S3 and now the N4 and none have been as good as stock. The one i tried on my N4 was CM10. Was bloody awful.
  • GormondGormond Posts: 15,838
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    slick1two wrote: »
    Read today that the nexus doesn't support USB otg which is a shame. Had a ICS ROM on my advent Vega tablet which enabled that feature. can add hard drives, keyboards, speakers, memory sticks etc.

would have been nice but nothing to gripe too much about. looking to get a nas drive soon though. Anyone got one that works well with android phones?

Yeah it doesn't even support game controllers like the Nexus 7 does which is a pity.
  • denyo1977denyo1977 Posts: 699
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Stiggles wrote: »
    Agreed. I tried some on my S2, S3 and now the N4 and none have been as good as stock. The one i tried on my N4 was CM10. Was bloody awful.

In what way was it awful? At the moment I doubt I will put any custom ROMs on the N4. On the S2 I used to do it because I was fed up with waiting for updates.
    Forum Member
    In what way was it awful? At the moment I doubt I will put any custom ROMs on the N4. On the S2 I used to do it because I was fed up with waiting for updates.

Just didnt feel as smooth as stock for me.

The good thing was google wallet worked, its laden with features to change things but, the smoothness ruined it for me!
  • rivercity_rulesrivercity_rules Posts: 24,270
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Very impressed, ordered at twenty to 1 am Thursday, had it by 1 on Friday afternoon, from 1-2 week expected delivery, to 36 hours.

Loving it so far, although not even nearly sorted for actually using it as a phone yet, thought I had 2 weeks to sort out sims/contracts etc!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Scotty2012 wrote: »
    I was too late buying the bumper so ended up going for this on eBay. It cost £27.15

Seems I have bought a replica and not the original. :(
    Forum Member
    Seems I have bought a replica and not the original. :(

Eek! :eek:

Cant you cancel the order?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Eek! :eek:

Cant you cancel the order?

It has already been shipped. Oh well
    Forum Member
    It has already been shipped. Oh well

That's a bummer :(

Wait until you get it and just return it.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That's a bummer :(

Wait until you get it and just return it.

I'll sell it off as a replica and just wait until the actual one comes back into stock.
  • grumpyoldbatgrumpyoldbat Posts: 3,663
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ooh, shipping now moved from 1-2 to 2-3 weeks on both Nexus 4 models. They may be getting low on stock again. If you're thinking about it, better get in there.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Turns out it might be the real thing after all.
  • CoreenBaconskinCoreenBaconskin Posts: 596
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    what do people think of the glass backs on these - are they more prone to scratches and breaks than plastic phones?
  • alanwarwicalanwarwic Posts: 28,396
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    what do people think of the glass backs on these - are they more prone to scratches and breaks than plastic phones?

Another gadget good for bumper sales. Don't leave home without one.
  • CoreenBaconskinCoreenBaconskin Posts: 596
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I succumbed and bought one. Now I wont let anyone pick it up!

There is an old saying - Buddhist I think - you dont possess your possessions - they possess you. I thought of that shortly after my wife picked it up to play with it and I yelled across the room - FOR GODS SAKE DONT DROP IT!!!!

:o

The bumpers stay on!!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

The glass scratches much easier than my iPhone 4.

I have had the iPhone 4 since launch with no scratches and my nexus has about 4 so far.

There is no way the glass is gorilla glass like they claim.
  • Stuart_hStuart_h Posts: 5,311
    Forum Member
    Gormond wrote: »

I have had the iPhone 4 since launch with no scratches and my nexus has about 4 so far.

Gorilla glass will still scratch .......
    Forum Member

I found the opposite! My 4S scratched as soon as i put it on a glass table on the back. By the end it was littered in marks. My N4 has not a mark on it so far and ive had it since boxing day.

If you mean the front, i had none on the iphone 4s and none so far on the N4.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Stuart_h wrote: »
    Gorilla glass will still scratch .......
    I found the opposite! My 4S scratched as soon as i put it on a glass table on the back. By the end it was littered in marks. My N4 has not a mark on it so far and ive had it since boxing day.

If you mean the front, i had none on the iphone 4s and none so far on the N4.

I was meaning the back, mine has scratched even with a cover on it (under the cover), I even scratched it with my nail. I'm not talking massive scratches but they are noticeable.

It's not a deal breaker as it's just the back but I think glass is just a terrible idea for a phone, it was a bad idea when Apple did it and it's still a bad idea now. It's heavier and scratches easier than decent polymers.
  • chenkschenks Posts: 13,231
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    i've had a 4S since initial launch, never had a protective cover on the front or back and i have no scratches or marks at all.

all i've ever had on it was a bumper that protects the edges. i've dropped it a few times and generally not treated it like a fragile item and it's still unmarked.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 88
    Forum Member
    I was meaning the back, mine has scratched even with a cover on it (under the cover), I even scratched it with my nail. I'm not talking massive scratches but they are noticeable.

It's not a deal breaker as it's just the back but I think glass is just a terrible idea for a phone, it was a bad idea when Apple did it and it's still a bad idea now. It's heavier and scratches easier than decent polymers.

Glass is what feels cheap to me compared to these decent polymers that modern smartphone are made from.
  • pi r squaredpi r squared Posts: 4,272
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    kidspud wrote: »
    It is not just because of electronic interference.
    Although I watched a documentary called "Men In Black 3" once, and it showed that the consequences of leaving your phone on can be pretty catastrophic.
    I've been quite lucky with mine - I've been using it for a month and it has no scratches on either front or back. I say "lucky" because the amount of times it has slid off wherever it is placed and fallen onto the floor, usually hitting something along the way, is just ridiculous - having a glass back is the single most stupid design flaw of the phone, but at least it hasn't scratched or cracked (yet). I also managed to drop it outside in the ice last month, so I've got some scuffing of the chrome surround but the glass remained intact.

I begin to see why people mocked the iPhone 4 and 4s for this design now, but at least Apple had the common courtesy to manufacture and stock enough f**king cases/bumpers to cope with demand. I've been holding off buying a cheap generic case until the official bumper lands in store, but then when it did I missed it again and I'm tired of playing this game now. So I'll probably get a cheapo case, but I fear it will destroy the look of the phone - and since this is the first Nexus device that's actually looked half decent (probably, in fact, due to the glass back which I heavily criticised in the last paragraph!), I want to maintain its looks really.
    slick1two wrote: »
    Read today that the nexus doesn't support USB otg which is a shame.

You can get apps like the Nexus Media Importer (free and paid) that can read memory sticks et al, but still can't write to them (but let's be honest, how often do you need to write to a memory stick from your phone?). Thanks to apps like File Expert and so on, you'll have no problem with any standard NAS drive to be honest.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You can get apps like the Nexus Media Importer (free and paid) that can read memory sticks et al, but still can't write to them (but let's be honest, how often do you need to write to a memory stick from your phone?). Thanks to apps like File Expert and so on, you'll have no problem with any standard NAS drive to be honest.

I have that for my Nexus 7 but it says incompatible with the Nexus 4 https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.homeysoft.nexususb.importer&hl=en