LG Nexus 4 officially announced

Comments

• Options
    Stuart_hStuart_h Posts: 5,311
    Forum Member
    Stuart P wrote: »
    nope. incorrect again. long press on the wifi symbol turns it on or off

Admittedly though that has only come in in 4.2.2

S3 owners will probably never see such an advanced version of android though :p (please note the smiley again !!!)
  • Options
    Stuart PStuart P Posts: 949
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Stuart_h wrote: »
    I know that. you know that. ;)
  • Options
    paulbrockpaulbrock Posts: 16,632
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    re: video calling, my s2 (yeah I know, upgrade due in the summer) does it as part of the contacts app. Go to a contact, and there's an option for video call (i.e. 3g video call). I'd expect the Galaxy S3 to work in the same way, and the Nexus 4 to be similar....though as you say, people tend not to use video calling outside of TV adverts!

screenshot:
    https://plus.google.com/photos/104859346014137939134/albums/5846711440603273249/5846711438552440786
  • Options
    joshua_welbyjoshua_welby Posts: 9,027
    Forum Member
    paulbrock wrote: »
    re: video calling, my s2 (yeah I know, upgrade due in the summer) does it as part of the contacts app. Go to a contact, and there's an option for video call (i.e. 3g video call). I'd expect the Galaxy S3 to work in the same way, and the Nexus 4 to be similar....though as you say, people tend not to use video calling outside of TV adverts!

screenshot:
    https://plus.google.com/photos/104859346014137939134/albums/5846711440603273249/5846711438552440786

That Link does not work
  • Options
    swordmanswordman Posts: 6,679
    Forum Member
    Stuart_h wrote: »

S3 owners will probably never see such an advanced version of android though :p (please note the smiley again !!!)

But you can't remove or add hardware toggles or can you can't test myself until tomorrow
  • Options
    alanwarwicalanwarwic Posts: 28,396
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    "S3 owners will probably never see such an advanced version of android though "

I thought the whole idea of the Nexus is that it is unclothed.
    Others use it as a solid base and then advance at their whim.

e.g. Sony adds useful stuff like Ant+
  • Options
    StigglesStiggles Posts: 9,618
    Forum Member
    swordman wrote: »
    But you can't remove or add hardware toggles or can you can't test myself until tomorrow

No, you cant.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Stiggles wrote: »
    No, you cant.

Things like that you would think would be basic in all android maybe just me
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Stiggles wrote: »
    No, you cant.

I can

*cough* custom ROM .....
  • Options
    Forum Member
    alanwarwic wrote: »
    "S3 owners will probably never see such an advanced version of android though "

I thought the whole idea of the Nexus is that it is unclothed.
    Others use it as a solid base and then advance at their whim.

e.g. Sony adds useful stuff like Ant+

That's the theory if manufacturers decide to keep up.

Take a nexus and add the features/apps you want. Its much easier with android to add the stuff you fancy than it is to remove the stuff you don't need.

But again its an unwinnable argument as there is no right answer.

...and when stiggles gets bored of his S3 (again?) there will be a different handset for him to champion to the death :D
  • Options
    paulbrockpaulbrock Posts: 16,632
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
  • Options
    GormondGormond Posts: 15,838
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Things like that you would think would be basic in all android maybe just me

You could always use Power Toggles or Notification Toggles for a similar Function to what the S3 has.
  • Options
    kidspudkidspud Posts: 18,341
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Why do people toggle the wifi and GPS? I've never turned either off. Is it to save battery? How much does it save.
  • Options
    denyo1977denyo1977 Posts: 699
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You leave GPS on all the time??? :eek:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    denyo1977 wrote: »

I do these days
  • Options
    kidspudkidspud Posts: 18,341
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I leave GPS, wifi and Bluetooth on all the time.

With GPS it would be a pain to switch it on every time I want to use a location based app.

Bluetooth so that it connects to my car every time I get in it and wifi so that it connects to that each time I enter the house/office/free wifi location.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 13,367
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I never turn them off either. The phone only uses GPS when it needs to. It doesn't use it constantly.
  • Options
    pi r squaredpi r squared Posts: 4,272
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    GPS doesn't poll for a signal, it only drains battery when it's actually being used. If you don't go into Maps, or any other app that needs an exact location, the GPS isn't used.

Turning GPS off has no positive impact on the day-to-day life of your battery; all that happens is you have to piss about for longer with your phone on any occasion you actually want to use it.
  • Options
    denyo1977denyo1977 Posts: 699
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I can't really check if it would make a difference as I don't have the same phone usage every day. But I thought it was always a big no no to have GPS on all the time (unless you are using navigation e.g. and you would need it on).

Then again so many apps might use it in background, I'd rather turn it off than having to close all the apps.
  • Options
    alanwarwicalanwarwic Posts: 28,396
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I used a tracking app on my SF the other day and accidentally left Wifi on.

I get 10 hours tracking, maybe 11 but with wifi also on it was maybe 7 hours maximum.
    I'm not sure if the 7 hours would have been less with hotspots around.
  • Options
    pi r squaredpi r squared Posts: 4,272
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I can't really check if it would make a difference as I don't have the same phone usage every day. But I thought it was always a big no no to have GPS on all the time (unless you are using navigation e.g. and you would need it on).
    You can verify yourself by looking at the battery breakdown. "GPS on" is an explicit item on the breakdown, and in my case there is very little usage of it at all - only the half-hour I use my phone for satnav to work, same again to home, and the (infrequent) occasions I use the Facebook app and it insists on knowing my location for no apparent reason.
  • Options
    noise747noise747 Posts: 30,857
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well it seems like google don't want any one else to buy their phone, twice today I tried to buy the Nexus4 and twice it failed, that is nearly 3 days now. if Google can't get that right maybe I Should look at another Os.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Gormond wrote: »
    You could always use Power Toggles or Notification Toggles for a similar Function to what the S3 has.

I know I can use them but have to place them somewhere and wouldn't want them on home screen which means swiping to get to them just handier in the notification bar that's what it is there for.

Just small things that when your used to them you really miss them.

In relation to battery GPS will vary greatly does depend .. wifi will make a difference as will NFC etc especially if you struggle to get through a day.

GPS left on on my kids BB eats the battery
  • Options
    GormondGormond Posts: 15,838
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I know I can use them but have to place them somewhere and wouldn't want them on home screen which means swiping to get to them just handier in the notification bar that's what it is there for.

Just small things that when your used to them you really miss them.

In relation to battery GPS will vary greatly does depend .. wifi will make a difference as will NFC etc especially if you struggle to get through a day.

GPS left on on my kids BB eats the battery

They go in the notifications bar, I currently use power toggles that I recommended earlier.

I have for example battery percentage displaying all the time and a toggle for torch, tether, data, sync, WiFi, GPS, Bluetooth and brightness. You can customise it to have what you like.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Gormond wrote: »
    They go in the notifications bar.

Right I see what you mean yes if I still used the n4 they could yes ......... not sure they would provide nfc, sbeam etc anyway would they?

but in any event you would be installing x amount of apps for features already built in on another phone.

Aside from access to immediate updates though there are too many issues with the n4 that just irked me too much to be really happy with it.