Options

Asda... Chosen by who?

confuddledconfuddled Posts: 3,758
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Had to shop at Asda the other day, forced by time and circumstance, never again!
I assume they're chosen by you range is meant to represent big sellers and products picked by a panel?
Horrible, insipid and mostly poor quality fare.
Chosen by you Caesar salad I couldn't eat so binned it.
Chosen by you quiche had soggy pastry and a soapy taste.
Chosen by you pizza with salami that was quite possibly donkey meat :o
Who are the people that reckon these products are good enough to be singled out as a bit spesh ?
I did buy something called Jamey joeys......a little cake thing , that was lovely with a cuppa:)

Comments

• Options
    diablodiablo Posts: 8,300
    Forum Member
    Soon after they started the 'chosen by you' thing I tried their fish pie and it was pretty good. I'd expect a panel of the public to have agreed.

Though after a few months the quality seemed to decline and I stopped buying it.

I think they change their suppliers, or force the the existing ones to cut costs - so the quality goes down.

Never been keen on Asda stuff anyway. :)
  • Options
    Isambard BrunelIsambard Brunel Posts: 6,598
    Forum Member
    confuddled wrote: »
    Who are the people that reckon these products are good enough to be singled out as a bit spesh ?

You!

You chose it from a selection of similar products on the shelf at various prices. It was therefore quite literally chosen by you.

They make no claims it's special - unlike their "extra special" range, which is affiliated with Prue Leith from The Great British Menu.
  • Options
    sarahj1986sarahj1986 Posts: 11,305
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I find the chosen by you range abit hit and miss, some items are nice and others are rank.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You!

You chose it from a selection of similar products on the shelf at various prices. It was therefore quite literally chosen by you.

They make no claims it's special - unlike their "extra special" range, which is affiliated with Prue Leith from The Great British Menu.

Nonsense... People have already chosen the product to be labeled as thus before it hits the shelves.
    I think they do " make a claim" certainly that it's popular and worth buying... In my experience it wasnt:)
  • Options
    HypnodiscHypnodisc Posts: 22,728
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Nonsense... People have already chosen the product to be labeled as thus before it hits the shelves.
    I think they do " make a claim" certainly that it's popular and worth buying... In my experience it wasnt:)

'Chosen by you' is just indicative of a best-selling line AFAIK.

It'd be done purely on the sale volumes.. if one pizza sells much better than the others it might get this sticker.

That's my impression anyway, as opposed to the 'extra special' range.

The phrase 'chosen by you' isn't making an extraordinary claim and is just a way of saying more people chose this one than any of the others.. doesn't mean it's any good.. people are idiots.
  • Options
    degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    Hundreds of thousands of blind taste tests have been carried out by an independent company. Products are blind tested by the public – that's Asda customers as well as customers of other major supermarkets. Products do not become part of the range unless they meet customers' high standards. That way whenever you see 'Chosen By You' you can be confident you are buying great tasting products every time you shop.
    Well it's either true or they can be done for false advertising.
  • Options
    ScottishPancakeScottishPancake Posts: 1,080
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    sarahj1986 wrote: »
    I find the chosen by you range abit hit and miss, some items are nice and others are rank.
    9 times out of 10, I have found the chosen by you range to be of lovely quality, but then I don't shop at Asda anymore. :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    degsyhufc wrote: »
    Well it's either true or they can be done for false advertising.

Well it's definitely not true so must be the latter!

EDIT: sorry that didn't make sense.... What I meant is I saw no evidence of any high standard:)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hypnodisc wrote: »
    'Chosen by you' is just indicative of a best-selling line AFAIK.

It'd be done purely on the sale volumes.. if one pizza sells much better than the others it might get this sticker.

That's my impression anyway, as opposed to the 'extra special' range.

The phrase 'chosen by you' isn't making an extraordinary claim and is just a way of saying more people chose this one than any of the others.. doesn't mean it's any good.. people are idiots.

NO, it's not based on sales volumes as far as I believe.
    They ran an ad campaign a couple of years ago pushing the " chosen by you " range on the merits that if it wasn't passed by a group of tasters it didn't make it onto the range ....... Surely it must differ from the regular stuff otherwise what's the point of it and the point of the cost of special packaging etc.
  • Options
    Simon_MoreSimon_More Posts: 709
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I am a big Asda fan and can count on one hand the Asda own brand products that I have not liked but the "chosen by you Gala Pork pie" is vile lol. I love pork pie and normally choose the small Melton Mowbray ones but fancied one with egg in it. I chose the chosen by you one because I thought it would be good. How wrong I was. Saying this I will still eat it as it's £2.50 and I a tight wad
  • Options
    CaptainObvious_CaptainObvious_ Posts: 3,881
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I like the chosen for you big pink and white marshmallows
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Simon_More wrote: »
    I am a big Asda fan and can count on one hand the Asda own brand products that I have not liked but the "chosen by you Gala Pork pie" is vile lol. I love pork pie and normally choose the small Melton Mowbray ones but fancied one with egg in it. I chose the chosen by you one because I thought it would be good. How wrong I was. Saying this I will still eat it as it's £2.50 and I a tight wad
    What exactly did it taste like for you to consider it to be "vile"? :p
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What exactly did it taste like for you to consider it to be "vile"? :p

It was the pastry more than anything. Perhaps I was a but over the top with the vile word. The pork bit and egg was ok.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It was the pastry more than anything. Perhaps I was a but over the top with the vile word. The pork bit and egg was ok.
    Maybe they have improved a bit since then? ;)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

The pastry on the quiche was vile:o
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The pastry on the quiche was vile:o
    Similar to the pork pie, I take it? :(
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I have just had another slice. I only bought it yesterday lol.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,232
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I shopped weekly at ASDA in various parts of the country for over 25 years before switching to cherry-picking (shopping around) a few years ago.

The veg never was that good, but has improved to what it once was.

The effects of the Walmart take-over took quite a few years to show up, but when it set in with all the roll forward/ roll back nonsense, shopping at ASDA became a bit of a rip-off.

Aldi and Lidl have taken a lot of their customers, and it's easy to save 20% on ASDA prices without dropping in quality, so hardly surprising.

I still drop into ASDA occasionally for a few choice items, and I am always surprised by the difference between their prices and the German discount stores.

I hope Aldi and Lidl continue to thrive because they are really giving the greedy supermarkets a run for their money.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have just had another slice. I only bought it yesterday lol.
    You never know what the next lot might be like though. ;)
  • Options
    henrywilliams58henrywilliams58 Posts: 4,963
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have an ASDA Credit Card which provides a discount on the already cheap petrol.

My TV is a Polaroid from ASDA.
  • Options
    jazzyjazzyjazzyjazzy Posts: 4,865
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    And yet another "lets bash Asda" thread.
  • Options
    venusinflaresvenusinflares Posts: 4,194
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jazzyjazzy wrote: »

Indeed!

Personally I haven't any complaints about the products I've tried from the 'Chosen By You' range. In general I find Asda own brand products to be good in both quality and value. There are a couple of Smart Price products I wouldn't buy again but I wouldn't go as far as saying they were 'vile'.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jazzyjazzy wrote: »

Were there others? I didn't comment in them because I didn't see them.
    Personally, I feel entering a thread to say the above is a waste of your time but hey ho!
  • Options
    venusinflaresvenusinflares Posts: 4,194
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Were there others? I didn't comment in them because I didn't see them.
    Personally, I feel entering a thread to say the above is a waste of your time but hey ho!

There seems to be a lot of Asda bashing in General Discussion. There was a thread just this week entitled 'I hate ASDA'.

To be honest it's Tesco I can't stand, I've nothing against Asda and shop there quite happily!
  • Options
    clm2071clm2071 Posts: 6,644
    Forum Member
    gave up on Asda when I moved near to both an Aldi and a Lidl, both are head and shoulders above Asda which has gone downhill badly in the last couple of years IMO, their fresh produce being particularly poor.