Options

Stephen Kings "IT"

wildholliewildhollie Posts: 3,029
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Ok, so following on from a thread in the movies forum, myself and a couple of other posters were discussing a particular scene in the book which I guess you can only describe as an underage orgy :D

Now for those of you that have read the book, what do you think of this scene ?
Is it warranted ? Did it bring anything to the book or did you deem it unnecessary ?

For myself. When I first read it I was pretty confused as to what was going on at first, another poster on the thread said Stephen king must of been on drugs when he wrote it :D, as it is a little "messed up"
Anyway, all these years after reading the book, I feel that I guess he wrote the scene to explain the gangs closeness and it gave them extra "power" if you like when dealing with the enemy....

What does everyone else think ?

Comments

• Options
    Jellied EelJellied Eel Posts: 33,091
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    TBH I read it so long ago that I can't really remember the details. But remember thinking the ending was a bit weak. Basically a bunch of kids up against some extra-terrestrial/dimensional superbeing and kill it with a bit of Deus Ex. Oddly enough something I'm struggling with having got my surviving characters near to the finale, and trying to work out how they can plausibly defeat my own 'IT'.

But I found this-

http://stephenkingsit.weebly.com/the-ritual-of-chud.html

As Beverly engages in prepubescent sex with Eddie, Mike, Richie, and Stan, one senses that this act is the true threshold, the final dance of the Ritual of Chud. "It" no longer refers to the monster but to the act of sex.

So a combination of transition to 'adulthood', group bonding and a side order of ritual sex magic thrown in. Which perhaps helps explain why the group got back together to defeat IT, and having bonded, strong enough to defeat IT.

But an excuse to read IT again. I liked the book as a kid, but haven't tried re-reading it as an adult.
  • Options
    Jellied EelJellied Eel Posts: 33,091
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Soo.. About half-way through re-reading it and..

Noticed I'd remembered it differently. I thought the story was more linear & started with the gang as kids then moved onto adulthood. Perhaps that's just my brain trying to organise the narrative more neatly.

There's been a few sexual references that made me chuckle, like the big kids explaining the way a woman gets pregnant is via her belly button. I remember hearing that one as a kid as well. So far though it's been the usual coming of age stuff where girls transition from being annoying to interesting. Oh, and liked the way Beverly dealt with her abusive husband.

And knowing the ending, whether their ritual & the turtle had rewarded or influenced their careers, or not.