10 years of The Kings (nearly 11)

starry_runestarry_rune Posts: 9,006
Forum Member
What makes a successful soap family?
The King Family first arrived in Emmerdale in early 2004 consisting of father Tom, eldest son Jimmy and Jimmy's wife Sadie, and younger sons Matthew and Carl. They were later joined by the youngest King brother, Max. Within months of their arrival, they became viewer favourites and were set to become Emmerdales new version of the Tate clan. However, by the end of 2008, actors Charlie Kemp (Max), Patsy Kensit (Sadie), Ken Farrington (Tom) and Matt Healy (Matthew) had all quit the show, leading to producers writing their characters out in shocking exit plots. The Kings biggest plot was the Who Killed Tom King storyline (2006–2007) in which Tom was murdered on Christmas Day and 10 of the shows characters were all suspects.

The 2003 - 2007 era of Emmerdale is fondly remembered as a classic period for the show, due to its high viewing figures, exciting storylines and popular characters, including the King family.
Tom King begins a relationship with Charity Tate (2004)
Carl King starts a relationship with Chas Dingle (2004)
Carl accidentally causes the death of Paul Marsden (2004)
Carl, Jimmy and Matthew cover up Paul's death (2004)
Matthew pressures Paul's widow, Siobhan, to leave the village (2004)
A close friend of Tom's dies of a heart attack (2004)
Sadie King sets Charity up to destroy the wedding (2004)
Tom and Charity's wedding ends in disaster (2005)
Charity sleeps with Jimmy and then leaves after revealing Sadie framed her (2005)
Jimmy nearly dies after being stabbed with a pitch fork by Daz Eden (2005)
Max King accidentally hits Tom while drink driving but Tom survives (2005)
The Kings finally get Home Farm but Zoe Tate blows it up on the day they're due to move in (2005)
Max dies in a car crash (2005)
Sadie and Matthew have an affair (2006)
The Kings show home explodes, killing 3 and nearly killing Jimmy and Sadie (2006)
In the showhome wreckage, Sadie hits Jimmy with a brick but he manages to survive (2006)
Doctors tell Matthew and Tom that there's a chance Jimmy won't walk again (2006)
Tom gets engaged to Rosemary Sinclair (2006)
Tom and Sadie are kidnapped by Cain Dingle and nearly die (2006)
Sadie leaves the village after the kidnap plot (2006)
Tom is pushed through a window and killed on his wedding day (Christmas Day 2006)
Rosemary nearly dies after falling off a balcony (2007)
Tom's secret daughter Scarlett Nicholls arrives (2007)
Carl reveals to Jimmy and Matthew he murdered Tom (May 2007)
Carl and Chas break up (2007)
Scarlett's aunt Lexi is revealed to actually be her half-sister (2007)
Carl begins affair with DCI Grace Barraclough - who is investigating Tom's murder (2007)
Grace is killed after being hit by a lorry - it was hinted that Matthew organised this (2007)
Matthew begins affair with Perdita Hyde-Sinclair (2007)
Matthew is banged up for allegedly killing Rosemary (2007)
Rosemary is revealed to be alive but she kills herself with a gun (Christmas Day 2007)
Jimmy and Kelly Windsor's wedding ends the same way as Tom and Charity's (2007)
Carl begins relationship with Lexi (2008)
Matthew almost kills Carl with a golf club (2008)
Grayson Sinclair takes the King brothers hostage and Carl gets shot but survives (2008)
Matthew gets engaged to Anna De Souza (2008)
Lexi tells Carl that she knows he murdered Tom (2008)
Matthew causes Anna's father, Donald, to have a heart attack and he dies (2008)
Matthew and Anna's wedding ends in chaos and Matthew and Carl have a shocking fight (2008)
Matthew is killed after trying to run Carl over in a van which crashes into the front wall at Home Farm (2008)
The day after Matthew's death, the Kings are kicked out of Home Farm (2008)
Carl and Chas nearly get back together (2008)
Jimmy is accidentally shot the day after Matthew's funeral, but survives (2009)
Jimmy sleeps with Nicola De Souza (2009)
Carl and Lexi get married despite the fact that Carl still loves Chas (2009)
Nicola discovers that she is pregnant with Jimmy's baby (2009)
Lexi announces that she is pregnant with Carl's baby but suffers an ectopic pregnancy days later (2009)
Nicola goes into premature labour, giving birth to daughter Angelica (2009)
Lexi, still reeling about her inability to have children, kidnaps baby Angelica, taking her hostage on the hospital roof-top, in an effort to make Carl listen to what she wants (2009)
Carl and Chas reunite (2009)
Jimmy and Nicola marry (2010)
Carl cheats on Chas with Eve Jenson. Chas discovers this and secretly plots revenge (2010)
Kelly causes Jimmy to get amnesia and fakes an affair, making Nicola want a divorce (2011)
Cameron Murray murders Carl by hitting him over the head with a brick (2012)

Comments

• missemmerdale22missemmerdale22 Posts: 713
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think the Kings was a good family. The best family that owned home farm I miss them on screen mostly Matthew and Carl.
  • soap-leasoap-lea Posts: 23,851
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think the Kings was a good family. The best family that owned home farm I miss them on screen mostly Matthew and Carl.

agree. killing Carl was a big mistake.

that being said I do love Jimmy and Nico but Jimmy needs a male friend
  • Pink_SmurfPink_Smurf Posts: 6,883
    Forum Member
    The OP's post must have taken some effort! I didn't like Carl so I was glad when he died. The actor was good but Carl was a sneering horrible man who was up himself. I love Jimmy and Nicola. Nicola can be so funny and she's really grown on me the more I watch. She is acted to perfection.
  • attitude99attitude99 Posts: 14,848
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Carl should have never tried to rape Chas which then led to his death, I felt that was out of his character to try that.

Is a shame he died, Jimmy is so dull most of the time.
  • Marcus_SmithMarcus_Smith Posts: 3,572
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I like Jimmy give him some luck lets see him always in his business suit again. They should bring back his sister Scarlett maybe with a kid in toe and a partner then later reintroduce his nephew carls son Thomas
  • LHolmesLHolmes Posts: 13,887
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The Frost era wasn't that great and Beedles lost the plot in her final year.

As for the Kings, way too much tragedy has befallen them. In the space of ten years most of them have died. Jimmy is the last one standing and they've turned him into a buffoon. Of the sons, Carl and Matt were stronger characters. However, I did like Jimmy pre-comedy era.
  • cobwebsoupcobwebsoup Posts: 4,858
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Pink_Smurf wrote: »
    The OP's post must have taken some effort! I didn't like Carl so I was glad when he died. The actor was good but Carl was a sneering horrible man who was up himself. I love Jimmy and Nicola. Nicola can be so funny and she's really grown on me the more I watch. She is acted to perfection.

The post is from Wikipedia I think, I seem to recall reading it before.

The King's were great, never a dull moment when they were around. They were never quite the same after Tom died though.
  • GulftasticGulftastic Posts: 127,362
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I wish they'd bring back Scarlett. She was so lovely and smiley. I'd like her to come in wit her money (inherited from Tom) and set up a proper King Haulage again with Jimmy, so he doesn't have to be Charity's lap-dog anymore.
  • GlendarrochGlendarroch Posts: 20,489
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    i feel I should say, in defence of Cain, that Sadie wasn't kidnapped and didn't almost die - she was in on the plot, and wearing a bulletproof vest. I don't think Tom was seriously hurt either - apart from the trauma.:D

TBH I didn't see much of the King's early years. I liked Matthew from what I saw of him, and Carl was entertaining to watch, but I think Patsy Kensit's really awkward and unnatural on screen, and I just can't enjoy watching her in a major role.
  • Janet PlankJanet Plank Posts: 10,241
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The King family at Home Farm were great entertainment, real Emmerdale, and it is sad that they killed them all off except. Jimmy. Now the writers have reduced Jimmy to a vulgar character, constantly talking about his private parts and showing them to anyone who is interested in looking. . A young nephew came in to the show at one time, Thomas, and he was a very good actor; they should bring him back.
  • Siobhan_KellySiobhan_Kelly Posts: 202
    Forum Member
    Is that ten years since it started beating EE in the ratings, the producers and actors have been up their own arses ever since.
  • MeridaMerida Posts: 2,275
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    LHolmes wrote: »
    The Frost era wasn't that great and Beedles lost the plot in her final year.

As for the Kings, way too much tragedy has befallen them. In the space of ten years most of them have died. Jimmy is the last one standing and they've turned him into a buffoon. Of the sons, Carl and Matt were stronger characters. However, I did like Jimmy pre-comedy era.

Agree with this. A father and three sons to die in just a few years was totally unrealistic - even for soapland. I also think Carl and Matt were great characters and disappointed they were killed off (and agree with another poster about Carls attempted rape of Chas, it felt shoe horned in to fit with the storyline. Brilliantly acted live episode though). The other son, Max, added very little and wasn't missed at all.
  • Dr K NoisewaterDr K Noisewater Posts: 11,584
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The King family were brilliant in their early years. Jimmy was a completely different character to the one he is now. Mathew was a great villain and the family were also responsible for bringing Rosemary onto our screens who became a King by marriage. Rosemary was absolutely superb one of my all time favourite characters. The King's early years were golden they were excellent successors to Home Farm after the Tate's nobody since has lived up to that standard.
  • 0...00...0 Posts: 21,111
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The curse of Zoe Tate befell them. Mu ha ha. :D
    They were a great addition. The Sadie Cain exit was OTT but great fun.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,246
    Forum Member
    Ten years and the most boring King remains :(