New Speakers

A few weeks ago I purchased a Samsung LE32R74BD and was very impressed with the picture but not completely blown away by the sound quality... it's perfectly acceptable but I think I could definitely do better.

I've purchased two high quality scart cables from Kenoble (well, they say high quality they were £4.67+VAT).

At the moment I have one going from the Sky+ box to the DVD recorder and one from the DVD recorder to the RGB on my telly.

What should I go for with sound? I mainly watch stuff off my Sky+ box and the occassional film. I also play music through the TV sometimes and it's certainly not as good as the quality I get from the 5.1 system on my computer desk.

My room setup is maybe not perfect for sorround sound either seeing as the TV is in a corner although it could probably be moved.

Can anyone recommend a good speaker system? I'm not totally convinced it needs to be sorround sound or whether stereo would do but someone said to me that the speakers already on a TV are better than stereo speakers?

I have no idea how much to pay as I've seen 5.1 systems for £9.99 and I've seen them for £999. The system on my computer desk only cost about £50 a few years ago and they seem reasonable quality... it's all very confusing.

Phil

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 97
    Forum Member
    PhilT81 wrote:
    A few weeks ago I purchased a Samsung LE32R74BD and was very impressed with the picture but not completely blown away by the sound quality... it's perfectly acceptable but I think I could definitely do better.

I've purchased two high quality scart cables from Kenoble (well, they say high quality they were £4.67+VAT).

At the moment I have one going from the Sky+ box to the DVD recorder and one from the DVD recorder to the RGB on my telly.

What should I go for with sound? I mainly watch stuff off my Sky+ box and the occassional film. I also play music through the TV sometimes and it's certainly not as good as the quality I get from the 5.1 system on my computer desk.

My room setup is maybe not perfect for sorround sound either seeing as the TV is in a corner although it could probably be moved.

Can anyone recommend a good speaker system? I'm not totally convinced it needs to be sorround sound or whether stereo would do but someone said to me that the speakers already on a TV are better than stereo speakers?

I have no idea how much to pay as I've seen 5.1 systems for £9.99 and I've seen them for £999. The system on my computer desk only cost about £50 a few years ago and they seem reasonable quality... it's all very confusing.

Phil

Please dont get speakers for £9.99. They will sound like crap.

If your a hooking your speakers to your Sky box you may want to take advantage of optical/coax as you can get dolby/prologic/DTS over one cable. I recommend these speakers as it comes with hardware AV decoder!
    http://www.pixmania.co.uk/uk/uk/269746/art/sony/home-cinema-5-1-ht-ddw780.html#fichetechnique
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 912
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The speakers in the TV won't be as good as a decent stereo pair!

It might be most cost efficient to buy a good pair of floorstanding speakers and hook it up to your stereo (assuming its a half decent stereo).

If you go down the surround sound route:

If you listen to music, I'd invest in some 1/2 decent floorstanding front speakers - I have Gale 4040's which are at the cheaper end of the spectrum. Having floorstangind speakers gives a fuller sound. Also, subwoofers aren't always needed, try it without first, as my speakers have more than enough bass on em (and the rears have side mounted subs too!)

For the rears you can use more floorstanders (thats what I did) or some bookshelf speakers (mounted up high is best).

For a center - you often get recomended to get the speaker that matches your fronts as the sound is more balanced.

Then you'll need an amp (something like Denon AVR1906)

Doing it that way would be around £550, obviously you can tweak it to be alot better but it all depends on your budget.