Gazza back in rehab

Comments

• dorydaryldorydaryl Posts: 15,927
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My dad died with multiple complications but one of them was long term alcohol use. He thought that because he stuck to beer, not spirits, and drank socially rather than home alone he was 'doing what everyone does'. He was never a nasty or violent man. He was a good man. He overcame many personal difficulties and never lost a day's work due to a hangover. However, he was in denial about the impact of his alcohol use until it was too late. Having said that, he made it to 70 and had no serious discernible liver damage. I dare anyone to tell me that he was a waste of space because he drank. I'm not saying it didn't affect our family life. It did but it didn't make him a bad person.

In many ways, I feel sorry for Gazza because the chances of him making it to 70 are pretty slim. Even less so the chances of him being happy and well at 70. It's always sad to see an icon unravel. My sympathy wanes somewhat with regard to his episodes of domestic violence and his disregard for his own kids (Regan, especially, as he was the youngest and has quite a bit of justifiable anger towards him). As I said above, no amount of alcohol ever made my dad violent or nastily abusive and I always felt I was loved very much, despite my dad's failings with drinking. It must be awful for the loved ones who have to endure the extreme end and I feel it for some of the people writing in this thread.
  • kate36kate36 Posts: 13,715
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    what a waste, alcohol can be so destructive, :o:mad: not just for the drinker but the people around them,
  • kate36kate36 Posts: 13,715
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    dorydaryl wrote: »
    My dad died with multiple complications but one of them was long term alcohol use. He thought that because he stuck to beer, not spirits, and drank socially rather than home alone he was 'doing what everyone does'. He was never a nasty or violent man. He was a good man. He overcame many personal difficulties and never lost a day's work due to a hangover. However, he was in denial about the impact of his alcohol use until it was too late. Having said that, he made it to 70 and had no serious discernible liver damage. I dare anyone to tell me that he was a waste of space because he drank. I'm not saying it didn't affect our family life. It did but it didn't make him a bad person.

In many ways, I feel sorry for Gazza because the chances of him making it to 70 are pretty slim. Even less so the chances of him being happy and well at 70. It's always sad to see an icon unravel. My sympathy wanes somewhat with regard to his episodes of domestic violence and his disregard for his own kids (Regan, especially, as he was the youngest and has quite a bit of justifiable anger towards him). As I said above, no amount of alcohol ever made my dad violent or nastily abusive and I always felt I was loved very much, despite my dad's failings with drinking. It must be awful for the loved ones who have to endure the extreme end and I feel it for some of the people writing in this thread.

sorry to hear about your father dorydaryl
    excellent post
  • i4ui4u Posts: 54,809
    Forum Member
    His agent was on Radio 5 on Saturday night.

Don't know why I felt someone close to Gazza had sold the story to the Mirror which had photos of him on stage, which had been cropped to exclude the person next to him.

His agent said Gazza hadn't touched a drop for two years, but last Thursday on the way to the gig he was in the car with a can of alcohol, and when they stopped at a service station Paul bought another can of alcohol.

I believe the agent said Paul also had a drink before going on stage, his agent introduced him and Paul was shaking uncontrollably.

Granted it's a news story but are some seeing it as a nice little earner?
  • muddipawsmuddipaws Posts: 3,300
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I honestly don't think anyone can help Gazza.. Whatever his demons are ..

Only Gazza can help himself if he wants to, and seek professional help and sustained and consistent with continued support. I guess he has the finances to do it, but its up to him to seek that help, which as it looks at the moment he does not want it. He does not need sympathy.

I saw him in a club a few years ago and he looked a really old man, shockingly thin and haggard and drunk. I could not believe it was him. Looking at him now he has not changed at all, his addiction is slowly killing him and I don't think it will be far off if he continues in this way
  • soulloversoullover Posts: 1,515
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    muddipaws wrote: »
    Only Gazza can help himself if he wants to, and seek professional help and sustained and consistent with continued support.
    I'm afraid it's too late for help. :(
  • Saltydog1955Saltydog1955 Posts: 4,134
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    muddipaws wrote: »
    Only Gazza can help himself if he wants to, and seek professional help and sustained and consistent with continued support. I guess he has the finances to do it, but its up to him to seek that help, which as it looks at the moment he does not want it. He does not need sympathy.

I saw him in a club a few years ago and he looked a really old man, shockingly thin and haggard and drunk. I could not believe it was him. Looking at him now he has not changed at all, his addiction is slowly killing him and I don't think it will be far off if he continues in this way

As he's had rehab after rehab, I think it's past all that now. He's a hopeless alcoholic in every sense of the word.
  • Blondie XBlondie X Posts: 28,662
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I did fear the worst when the breaking news banner came up on Sky News with 'Former England Footballer Paul Gascoigne' but it was to say he's been taken into a treatment centre in the US.

This really could be the last chance saloon now Gazza, don't waste it.
  • occyoccy Posts: 64,627
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    He needs 24 Hour care according to Gazza agent.

http://uk.eurosport.yahoo.com/news/premier-league-gascoigne-needs-24-hour-care-115129308.html

Feel sorry for the bloke. He just wanted to play football, and probably believes he still can, then he goes on the drink.
  • occyoccy Posts: 64,627
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
  • DiamondDollDiamondDoll Posts: 21,460
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Everything crossed that this time he can crack those demons.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10,488
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've only just watched the video. Why on earth were those morons laughing and cheering? Couldn't they see a man in a seriously poor state, probably close to death? I note it was supposed to be a charity appearance but he should never have been allowed on that stage. I wish him well in rehab but fear it may well be too late.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 17,021
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've only just watched the video. Why on earth were those morons laughing and cheering? Couldn't they see a man in a seriously poor state, probably close to death? I note it was supposed to be a charity appearance but he should never have been allowed on that stage. I wish him well in rehab but fear it may well be too late.

You're right. There must've been people backstage who saw what a state he was in. They should've called his appearance off. It's like with George Best and Oliver Reed, people seemed to revel in seeing them self-destruct on TV. :(
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think he's got too many mental health issues to make a full recovery sadly. He's been to rehab before and nothing seems to work.

I wonder if he's not taking his medication, or drinking on top of it?
  • elgransenor1elgransenor1 Posts: 1,043
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    why do people feel sorry for this person? it's bizarre. he's been given every chance in life, made millions from doing something he loves, which is an infinitely better life than most on this planet are privy to, yet has just thrown it all away, simply because he lacks the will power to stop.

why feel sorry for him?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    why do people feel sorry for this person? it's bizarre. he's been given every chance in life, made millions from doing something he loves, which is an infinitely better life than most on this planet are privy to, yet has just thrown it all away, simply because he lacks the will power to stop.

why feel sorry for him?

The man is ill.
  • lexi22lexi22 Posts: 16,394
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

why feel sorry for him?

You plainly don't understand the nature of addiction if you think it's just a matter of will-power. It's a disease and in the same way that one would sympathise with anyone who has a life-threatening illness, then so it is with addiction.

He's a chronic alcoholic, a rotten, miserable, bleak, powerless existence where nothing but the next hit matters and there's no quick or easy fix. So yes, as a human being who's going through a terrible time, he warrants sympathy and compassion.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    lexi22 wrote: »
    You plainly don't understand the nature of addiction if you think it's just a matter of will-power. It's a disease and in the same way that one would sympathise with anyone who has a life-threatening illness, then so it is with addiction.

He's a chronic alcoholic, a rotten, miserable, bleak, powerless existence where nothing but the next hit matters and there's no quick or easy fix. So yes, as a human being who's going through a terrible time, he warrants sympathy and compassion.

but he chose to go down this route. and he chooses to continue down it? he's already said he has no desire to stop. that he has to have a beer. so why should i feel sorry for that person?

In what sense is addiction a disease? I had an addiction to smoking and I stopped. was i diseased? please explain it to me as I seem to be rather thick.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    In this case, ignorance is not bliss.:yawn:

Alcoholism is a chronic, lifelong disease. However, if managed properly, damage to the brain can be stopped and to some extent reversed. In addition to problem drinking, the disease is characterized by symptoms including an impaired control over alcohol, compulsive thoughts about alcohol, and distorted thinking. Alcoholism can also lead indirectly, through excess consumption, to physical dependence on alcohol, and diseases such as cirrhosis of the liver.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Disease_theory_of_alcoholism

Hope this helps.
  • Super_FurrySuper_Furry Posts: 774
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    but he chose to go down this route. and he chooses to continue down it?

You think he chose to be an alcoholic?
    What a ridiculous thing to say.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    but he chose to go down this route. and he chooses to continue down it? he's already said he has no desire to stop. that he has to have a beer. so why should i feel sorry for that person?

In what sense is addiction a disease? I had an addiction to smoking and I stopped. was i diseased? please explain it to me as I seem to be rather thick.

“You are not entitled to your opinion. You are entitled to your informed opinion. No one is entitled to be ignorant.”
    ― Harlan Ellison
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    In what sense am I ignorant?

He still chooses to go down that route. Plainly he must understand that it's destroying his life, but If he showed more willpower, he would be able to quit that addiction, however hard that process might be. But he chooses not to.

If his life isn't worth enough to him to quit, why should I care? most people struggle through life, with very little to show for it. Very little money, and most of them didn't turn to drink.

Why should I feel sorry for a wife-beating millionare, who was lucky enough to be given a gift in life for football, lucky enough to be good at something that he could make a very good living from it? He was given every advantage in life and threw it away. I feel sorry for those people who suffer through life on very little money, and don't turn to drink. millions of faceless people who don't get the publicity Gazza gets.

Other alcoholics like Tony Adams have managed to quit, why can't Gazza? probably because theres something inside him that's driven to self-destruction. But if he can't recognise that and take whatever measures to quit for good, I have very little sympathy.
  • Super_FurrySuper_Furry Posts: 774
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Wow!
    Even for the internet, that is some of most nonsensical rambling I've ever seen.

I hope no one close to you ever has to deal with addicition, as they're definitely not going to be helped by having you in their life!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Wow!
    Even for the internet, that is some of most nonsensical rambling I've ever seen.

I hope no one close to you ever has to deal with addicition, as they're definitely not going to be helped by having you in their life!

I've enabled my 'ignore' button.
    Try it.:)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    In what sense am I ignorant?

He still chooses to go down that route. Plainly he must understand that it's destroying his life, but If he showed more willpower, he would be able to quit that addiction, however hard that process might be. But he chooses not to.

If his life isn't worth enough to him to quit, why should I care? most people struggle through life, with very little to show for it. Very little money, and most of them didn't turn to drink.

Why should I feel sorry for a wife-beating millionare, who was lucky enough to be given a gift in life for football, lucky enough to be good at something that he could make a very good living from it? He was given every advantage in life and threw it away. I feel sorry for those people who suffer through life on very little money, and don't turn to drink. millions of faceless people who don't get the publicity Gazza gets.

Other alcoholics like Tony Adams have managed to quit, why can't Gazza? probably because theres something inside him that's driven to self-destruction. But if he can't recognise that and take whatever measures to quit for good, I have very little sympathy.

What a nasty, bitter rant. :mad:

The man is an addict who, unlike Tony Adams, also has mental health issues - bi-polar, depression and perhaps Tourette's. i only hope that if you ever have mental problems that someone's there to help you. Why should you care? There but for the grace of god goes any of us......

*ignores* :rolleyes: