Free upgrade for Thompson sky+hd box owners

Comments

• sodafountainsodafountain Posts: 16,829
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    So when are we going to get these boxes?

When did you respond to the letter, what did they tell you?
  • LankyLanky Posts: 252
    Forum Member
    I got a call this morning and the HD box to replace my Sky+ box should be delivered by the end of the week. I'd responded to their letter on 10 April.
  • A.PenroseA.Penrose Posts: 4,613
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I got a call on Saturday tea time. My new HD box is coming on Thursday to replace my old Sky+:)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 93
    Forum Member
    Well I got my new box yesterday did a self install, came via post, so got to keep my old box. Its a 500g box.

Several thoughts come to mind. Firstly and most important to me is that the picture is nowhere near as sharp and detailed as the tomson it replaced, the thomson had been modified and had nothing wrong with it at all just the software incapable of being updated. Only has one scart used the two on the tomson. One the plus side it seems to have woken up the 4:3 option on my TV and the applications via the ethernet cable seen to be vaild.

Now wondering wether to keep the tomson to use a freesat box or will it stop working in the future as software becomes out of date. i only want to use it to view not record ? For this option I would need to use the component out
  • DWA9ISDWA9IS Posts: 10,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    chivers wrote: »
    Well I got my new box yesterday did a self install, came via post, so got to keep my old box. Its a 500g box.

Several thoughts come to mind. Firstly and most important to me is that the picture is nowhere near as sharp and detailed as the tomson it replaced, the thomson had been modified and had nothing wrong with it at all just the software incapable of being updated. Only has one scart used the two on the tomson. One the plus side it seems to have woken up the 4:3 option on my TV and the applications via the ethernet cable seen to be vaild.

Now wondering wether to keep the tomson to use a freesat box or will it stop working in the future as software becomes out of date. i only want to use it to view not record ? For this option I would need to use the component out

Just use it as long as your able to, as a FTA receiver like freesat. If in the future it stops working you could get a non-PVR freesat box to replace it.
    Also as Sky appear to have enabled the eSATA port on the new boxes, you could take the old hard drive out and set it up as an eSATA drive and plug it in your new box there!
  • fossmanfossman Posts: 332
    Forum Member
    Got a letter yesterday confirming the order of the new HD box.

Slightly concerned now though as the letter states something about subscribing to Sky Entertainment Plus+ at £31.50 per month and that by accepting the box it means agreeing to a new 12 month contract (neither of which were mentioned in the original box replacement offer letter or on the website).
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 46
    Forum Member
    Sorry a little off topic but thought it was interesting to note here.

On a recent visit to Sky HQ in London, I noticed, as I waited in the reception that they are using an old Thompson HD box in their lobby connected to a 50inch tv to show sky news hd. the box its self is connected via HDMI but its definitely an old Thompson box.

I did take a picture (not that anyone is interested) but I can post it here once I remove the meta data from it.

Sorry its a little off topic and boring but just in case someone is interested!
  • joshua_welbyjoshua_welby Posts: 9,017
    Forum Member
    sim116s wrote: »

On a recent visit to Sky HQ in London, I noticed, as I waited in the reception that they are using an old Thompson HD box in their lobby connected to a 50inch tv to show sky news hd. the box its self is connected via HDMI but its definitely an old Thompson box.

I did take a picture (not that anyone is interested) but I can post it here once I remove the meta data from it.

I am interested, is it possible to send me the Photo via a PM?
  • chenkschenks Posts: 13,231
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

how could you tell it was a thompson box?
    did you look at the back of it to confirm? or did you just view it from the front?
    Forum Member
    When I get home I will try and get the image up. Just wouldn't want any meta data giving who I am away!

I couldn't look around the back due to the security desk being directly in front of where I was sitting, and also my lack of confidence got the better of me.

But I could see, as I was only a few feet away from it, that it was very big in size and scuffed up. I have had a Thompson box myself as we'll as a smaller Amstrad SkyHD box so I am 98% sure it's a Thompson.

Unfortunately my lack of confidence got the better of me! Maybe next time I get invited there I will get a better chance.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    When I get home I will try and get the image up. Just wouldn't want any meta data giving who I am away!

I couldn't look around the back due to the security desk being directly in front of where I was sitting, and also my lack of confidence got the better of me.

But I could see, as I was only a few feet away from it, that it was very big in size and scuffed up. I have had a Thompson box myself as we'll as a smaller Amstrad SkyHD box so I am 98% sure it's a Thompson.

Unfortunately my lack of confidence got the better of me! Maybe next time I get invited there I will get a better chance.

the samsung and pace boxes look the same though, as do the DRX890's

it's the DRX895 that is smaller and looks different.

that's why i was asking if you had identified it any other way than simply looking at the front.
  • davemurgatroyddavemurgatroyd Posts: 13,328
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    chenks wrote: »
    the samsung and pace boxes look the same though, as do the DRX890's

it's the DRX895 that is smaller and looks different.

that's why i was asking if you had identified it any other way than simply looking at the front.

DRX890s are the same smaller size as the DRX895 - it is the Amstrad DRX780 that is the same larger size as the Thomson etc.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    DRX890s are the same smaller size as the DRX895 - it is the Amstrad DRX780 that is the same larger size as the Thomson etc.

the DRX890's have the same physical look though as the original boxes though (unless the satbuyer are using the wrong image for a DRX890).
    Forum Member
    In light of this new info I may have mis-spoke. In my humble opinion though I am 98% sure that it is a Thompson box just through my own experience of the unit.

Next time I am there I will make sure I take a better look at the unit and over come any confidence issues! I know I know ill make sure I grow some balls before I'm next there.

This is the sneaky image i took of the unit (sorry its not a great picture)
    http://s8.postimg.org/67vpbtnyt/photo_2.jpg

And this is how close security were to me, directly opposite where I was sitting next to the Sky box (I didn't want to get kick out before having my meeting!).
    http://s8.postimg.org/nwng3fzpx/photo_1.jpg
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    In light of this new info I may have mis-spoke. In my humble opinion though I am 98% sure that it is a Thompson box just through my own experience of the unit.

Next time I am there I will make sure I take a better look at the unit and over come any confidence issues! I know I know ill make sure I grow some balls before I'm next there.

This is the sneaky image i took of the unit (sorry its not a great picture)
    http://s8.postimg.org/67vpbtnyt/photo_2.jpg

And this is how close security were to me, directly opposite where I was sitting next to the Sky box (I didn't want to get kick out before having my meeting!).
    http://s8.postimg.org/nwng3fzpx/photo_1.jpg

from that image it is impossible to say if it is a thomson or not. it could easily be any of the other 3 boxes that look the same.

the fact that the thomson boxes don't support the current HD EPG then i would say that it is unlikely it is a thomson box.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3
    Forum Member
    Still heard nothing from Sky and I responded end of March to the letter!
  • nedchesternedchester Posts: 155
    Forum Member
    Mine arrived today. Just need to watch all the programmes on the old Sky+ box before swapping over.

Incidentally, when Sky rang they mentioned me sending the old Sky+ box back. Well do I have to send the old Sky Box back or can I put it on ebay?
  • NsewellNsewell Posts: 824
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You don't have to return the old box, but I don't see why anyone would want to buy it when there's plenty of newer boxes going cheap.
  • fossmanfossman Posts: 332
    Forum Member
    Mother in laws box arrived on Friday and I have self installed it this morning. It's a lot faster than the old Thomson box.

Sky have also asked for the old box back and have included a grey plastic bag and a freepost address to return the box to.

I do like the feature where you can control the box using the Sky+ app.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8
    Forum Member
    I was offered a replacement Sky box for the Thomson one we have in my son's room. I was assured I would not have to take out a new contract. I get the new box and a separate letter stating we do have to take a new 12 month contract out and if we don't activate this new box within so many days of receipt then they will add a £31.50 entertainment extra package to our service and we will be tied into that. Will be returning it because we are on a half price deal at the moment and it effectively means when that runs out in August we will be tied in and end up paying through the nose for this new box. Be careful with these boxes, because they may have to replace them anyway without making you take out a new contract, I'm going to wait and see. I think Sky are being very sneaky.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1
    Forum Member
    We have just taken delivery of the new Sky replacement HD Box. took a moment then noticed, no Co-Ax connections, so all my cabling to share across magic eyes has now been totally wasted.
  • DWA9ISDWA9IS Posts: 10,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    We have just taken delivery of the new Sky replacement HD Box. took a moment then noticed, no Co-Ax connections, so all my cabling to share across magic eyes has now been totally wasted.

there is an add on for that so you can use RF out
  • sodafountainsodafountain Posts: 16,829
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

You need one of these - http://www.gionlineshop.co.uk/product_detail.php?code=F101972&product=iO-LINK&sm=3
  • Nigel GoodwinNigel Goodwin Posts: 58,335
    Forum Member

So you got the new WiFi box then?.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 93
    Forum Member
    So you got the new WiFi box then?.

It seems likely that he's talking about an Amstrad DRX-595 - I've not see the new wifi box on sale anywhere yet.