Kindle and storage 16gb 32gb

jezzerjezzer Posts: 705
Forum Member
✭✭
Hi

Daughter has been going on about a kindle since they first came out,So thats what she will get for xmas G so many of them now,The Fire HD seems a good choice but stuck on which 16gb or 32gb is 16gb going to be plenty of room? Staples have the 32gb at £179 but amazon only has the 16gb,If i was going to get the 16gb then amazon would be cheaper place to get it,But as they dont do the 32gb staples would have to be the place to get it.

She likes her books but now we dont have any room for books,So really its the books thats its mainly for,She will have a DS for games.

Cheers

Comments

• VoynichVoynich Posts: 14,481
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The Kindle with only 4 gig of memory can hold around 3,000 books! Plenty of room for books on either of them.
  • TiexenTiexen Posts: 600
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    jezzer wrote: »
    Hi

Daughter has been going on about a kindle since they first came out,So thats what she will get for xmas G so many of them now,The Fire HD seems a good choice but stuck on which 16gb or 32gb is 16gb going to be plenty of room? Staples have the 32gb at £179 but amazon only has the 16gb,If i was going to get the 16gb then amazon would be cheaper place to get it,But as they dont do the 32gb staples would have to be the place to get it.

She likes her books but now we dont have any room for books,So really its the books thats its mainly for,She will have a DS for games.

Cheers

Any tablet can have the Kindle book software put on it - see the new Tesco Hudl - £120)

http://www.tesco.com/direct/hudl/#tech

If you only want to read books you can't beat the proper Kindle E-readers - look for the Kindle Paperwhite on Amazon
  • jezzerjezzer Posts: 705
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Voynich wrote: »
    The Kindle with only 4 gig of memory can hold around 3,000 books! Plenty of room for books on either of them.

I see so 16gb would be plenty cheers
    Tiexen wrote: »
    Any tablet can have the Kindle book software put on it - see the new Tesco Hudl - £120)

http://www.tesco.com/direct/hudl/#tech

If you only want to read books you can't beat the proper Kindle E-readers - look for the Kindle Paperwhite on Amazon

Cheers ill have a look at the Tesco one,We have been talking about getting the Paperwhite but now we think she would be really pleased with the Fire HD as it has a little extra.
  • stud u likestud u like Posts: 42,100
    Forum Member
    16gb goes nowhere these days. With the apps and films, a lot of space gets taken up.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    True about films but it would be mainly for books and the odd games.
  • mastanlemmastanlem Posts: 633
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    True about films but it would be mainly for books and the odd games.

If she wants to read in the sunshine then the Fire is not suitable. The new Paperwhite is excellent.

Marina
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thanks ill keep that in mind i did think the paperwhite was the best for sunlight.
  • wakeywakey Posts: 3,073
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hi

Cheers

While tablets are great devices they really aren't suited for prolonged reading.

The backlights that an LCD screen requires are the main issue. Not only is it one of the main causes of eye screen but they also aren't great for your sleep. A Backlight shines intense light directly into your eyes which tricks the brain into thinking its daytime. This restricts melatonin production and keeps you more alert. Its why you should really use a tablet, computer or even watch TV an hour before you goto bed.

With devices like the Paperwhite these are front lit meaning the light is being bounced down onto the screen to light it so its more like having a bed side light on.

Other issues include the reading in sunlight issue that others have mentioned and the fact that tablets are heavier and generally slightly bigger so they can be less comfortable to hold for long periods.

So my advice is that if the main use of the device is going to be reading then get an eink device such as the paperwhite as its a much more enjoyable experience for book reading.

If you do go the tablet route as its going to be used for things like surfing the net, email and movies more than reading then be aware that the devices on staples are probably different devices as Amazon just refreshed the Kindle Fire Line
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Looks like after some careful hinting on what my daughter wants out of the kindle its going to be the Paperwhite now need to decide if the new 3G one is better to get or just the wifi one.

Cheers for the advice just by looking at the kindles i would of said the Kindle Fire would of been better.

EDIT: 3G ordered.