Options

Adele's 21 passes 26.5 million copies sold worldwide

Comments

• Options
    MissMusiqueMissMusique Posts: 2,098
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Congrats to Adele - amazing achievement! I held off on buying it for ages as RITD and SLY were driving me nuts due to overplay - but glad I did get it. There's some great tunes on there, and her voice sounds wonderful.
  • Options
    VashettiVashetti Posts: 2,361
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I kind of wish she'd re-release it so she could tackle 30 million.

Throw in all of the deluxe tracks and tracks exclusive to other countries, B-Sides to the singles, live DVD/Blu-Ray of the Albert Hall, live CD, the Skyfall track, and whatever else they can.

Would sell like hotcakes.
  • Options
    konebyvaxkonebyvax Posts: 9,120
    Forum Member
    This actually equates to over 50 million when you compare it to how few albums are sold these days compared to before the turn of the century/illegal downloading/legal cherry picking of album track downloads etc.
  • Options
    Hav_mor91Hav_mor91 Posts: 17,183
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Vashetti wrote: »
    I kind of wish she'd re-release it so she could tackle 30 million.

Throw in all of the deluxe tracks and tracks exclusive to other countries, B-Sides to the singles, live DVD/Blu-Ray of the Albert Hall, live CD, the Skyfall track, and whatever else they can.

Would sell like hotcakes.

That would feel like a hollow victory to me though. This is probabaly the only album in recent memeory to sell so many on the original release with no reissues, or re-releases :)
  • Options
    Unigal07Unigal07 Posts: 22,326
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Amazing!

I can't wait for an Adele comeback, I'm having withdrawal symptoms. Her Skyfall song was the best part of the Bond movie for me :o:D Well one of the best parts.
  • Options
    ScenciaScencia Posts: 271
    Forum Member
    Great achievement :)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 172
    Forum Member
    konebyvax wrote: »
    This actually equates to over 50 million when you compare it to how few albums are sold these days compared to before the turn of the century/illegal downloading/legal cherry picking of album track downloads etc.
    If that's so, then Alanis and Shania would not only not be out of Adele's reach, she would have already surpassed them. Amazing.
  • Options
    crazymonkcrazymonk Posts: 1,566
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well done to her! Her album is just okay though, I think she is very overrated...
  • Options
    whitecliffewhitecliffe Posts: 12,152
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    crazymonk wrote: »
    Well done to her! Her album is just okay though, I think she is very overrated...

Many congrats Adele. I guess many think she is overrated but that fine I actually don't and love her music.

Interesting that 19 is seemingly in demand in North America this weekend - 5th in the USA i tunes chart and topping the Canadian chart - quite an achievement.

I think the sales of 19 since the release of 21 are amazing and proves that people liked 21 - didn't just go for the hype - and wanted more!!
  • Options
    crazymonkcrazymonk Posts: 1,566
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ^ Nice for you, still don't think she is anything special. ;)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10,019
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    21 is one of those albums that you wonder how on earth it could possibly sell so many copies. Most of the big selling albums throughout history you can understand why they sold so many copies even if you dont like the artist but with 21 i just dont get it at all in any shape or form and bet i am not alone in this thinking either.
  • Options
    whitecliffewhitecliffe Posts: 12,152
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    crazymonk wrote: »
    ^ Nice for you, still don't think she is anything special. ;)

That fine we are all entitled to an opinion and who is to say who is right or wrong.

Its good for the music industry that we ( as in humanity) have different taste,
  • Options
    WhyHelloWorldWhyHelloWorld Posts: 15,494
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    21 is one of those albums that you wonder how on earth it could possibly sell so many copies. Most of the big selling albums throughout history you can understand why they sold so many copies even if you dont like the artist but with 21 i just dont get it at all in any shape or form and bet i am not alone in this thinking either.

Anyone who listens to the album will be able to understand how it has sold so much.
  • Options
    wonderwall2012wonderwall2012 Posts: 306
    Forum Member
    I often feel left out as her music doesn't really interest me and I haven't listened to any of her albums.

For me personally she is definetly overrated and nothing that special that hasn't been seen before.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,163
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I often feel left out as her music doesn't really interest me and I haven't listened to any of her albums.

For me personally she is definetly overrated and nothing that special that hasn't been seen before.

How can you say she is overrated when you don't have interest in her music?:confused:

Look I have no interest in music of e.g. Girls Aloud or Little-mix but could I say, their music is overated? I don't know their music at all, I don't care.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 104
    Forum Member

Eh? Be quiet you idiot...
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    19 is #1 on Canadian iTunes a four year old album:)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Anyone who listens to the album will be able to understand how it has sold so much.

Thats the thing they cant. I know many adele fans who admit 21 is not a classic, apart from the main singles the rest is a lot of filler and very average tracks of the kind that are littered across hundreds of other albums. If you look at it not as a fan but from a music perspective none of the songs offer anything tehcnically and none ae really memorable. In 20 years time will people remeber the songs, I doubt it very much ad thats what sets it aside from other big selling albums because everyone knows all the tracks on the big albums and 3 generations of people know these songs, will 3 generations of people be listening to 21 in the years ahead?

I am not a fan of michael jackson in any shape or form and would never listen to one of his records but can understand why thriller sold so many albums its full of classic pop songs. If you look at any of the top 10 or 20 best selling albums of all time you know why they sold so many each and every one is a classic with most if not all of the album containig songs people will remember decades from now.

None of this is a dig at adele and has nothing to do with my opinions of her at all, but I need to find rhyme and reason with things I dont like things illogical with no explanation and for me the sales of 21 fits into that category.

Of course the album will be remembered in years to come but more for the number it has sold rather then its content.
    Of course all this is just my opinion but I doubt I am alone in these views, in fact I know I am not alone in these views.:)
  • Options
    BrokenArrowBrokenArrow Posts: 21,665
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't see the significance of selling 26.5 million.

20 yes, 25 yes, both landmarks.

But 26.5? who cares.

Start a thread when it passes 30 million.
  • Options
    WhyHelloWorldWhyHelloWorld Posts: 15,494
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thats the thing they cant. I know many adele fans who admit 21 is not a classic, apart from the main singles the rest is a lot of filler and very average tracks of the kind that are littered across hundreds of other albums. If you look at it not as a fan but from a music perspective none of the songs offer anything tehcnically and none ae really memorable. In 20 years time will people remeber the songs, I doubt it very much ad thats what sets it aside from other big selling albums because everyone knows all the tracks on the big albums and 3 generations of people know these songs, will 3 generations of people be listening to 21 in the years ahead?

I am not a fan of michael jackson in any shape or form and would never listen to one of his records but can understand why thriller sold so many albums its full of classic pop songs. If you look at any of the top 10 or 20 best selling albums of all time you know why they sold so many each and every one is a classic with most if not all of the album containig songs people will remember decades from now.

None of this is a dig at adele and has nothing to do with my opinions of her at all, but I need to find rhyme and reason with things I dont like things illogical with no explanation and for me the sales of 21 fits into that category.

Of course the album will be remembered in years to come but more for the number it has sold rather then its content.
    Of course all this is just my opinion but I doubt I am alone in these views, in fact I know I am not alone in these views.:)

I think it has to do with the fact her album appeals to every generation. Unlike Taylor Swift, Florence and The Machine, Ellie Gouldding, Rihanna, Gaga and Katy Perry - those that aren't doing as well as her. All of those mentioned, have sold a lot, yes, have toured a lot, yes. But they cannot sell as much as Adele because the standard of the albums are not up to scratch. Adele can sell to anyone. Taylor, Rihanna, Florence, Ellie, GaGa and Katy cannot.

21 is a true classic.

EDIT - How can anyone say Someone Like You, Set Fire To The Rain, One and Only, Turning Tables, Rolling In The Deep, Dont You Remember and Take It All are not remember-able. All of those songs are beautiful, all of which are a lot better than anything on Albums released in the last 6 months.

The only 2 artist that have come out with albums that are ANYWHERE near the standard of 21 are Emeli Sande and Lana Del Rey (both of which aren't as good as 21, but a lot better than the likes of Rihanna, Taylor and Florence's latest attempts.)

People need to stop getting jealous that Adele is taking the spotlight and selling more than their favourites, then they will realise what a superb album this is. I hated 19, and only bought 21 because of Rolling In The Deep. To my surprise, Rolling In The Deep is one of the weaker songs on the album.

Again - 21 is a classic.
  • Options
    wonderwall2012wonderwall2012 Posts: 306
    Forum Member
    rbautz wrote: »
    How can you say she is overrated when you don't have interest in her music?:confused:

Look I have no interest in music of e.g. Girls Aloud or Little-mix but could I say, their music is overated? I don't know their music at all, I don't care.

I mean because of the singles/live tracks I have heard and seen her perform.
  • Options
    robo2robo2 Posts: 1,470
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

you could say the same for Soundtrack - The Bodyguard, Soundtrack - Saturday Night Fever, Shania Twain - Come On Over, Alanis Morissette - Jagged Little Pill, Michael Jackson - Dangerous, Celine Dion - Let's Talk About Love, Celine Dion - Falling Into You, Soundtrack - Dirty Dancing, Meat Loaf - Bat Out Of Hell , Soundtrack - Titanic, Mariah Carey - Music Box, Backstreet Boys - Millennium, Santana - Supernatural, Britney Spears - Baby One More Time - all of which are currently above adele - people have different tastes, im sure many people like me think these are crap, im sure many people also think metallica, nevermind, the beatles, the eagles, queen etc are crap which i like - there is not one album ever released that everybody thinks is great
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think it has to do with the fact her album appeals to every generation. Unlike Taylor Swift, Florence and The Machine, Ellie Gouldding, Rihanna, Gaga and Katy Perry - those that aren't doing as well as her. All of those mentioned, have sold a lot, yes, have toured a lot, yes. But they cannot sell as much as Adele because the standard of the albums are not up to scratch. Adele can sell to anyone. Taylor, Rihanna, Florence, Ellie, GaGa and Katy cannot.

21 is a true classic.

EDIT - How can anyone say Someone Like You, Set Fire To The Rain, One and Only, Turning Tables, Rolling In The Deep, Dont You Remember and Take It All are not remember-able. All of those songs are beautiful, all of which are a lot better than anything on Albums released in the last 6 months.

The only 2 artist that have come out with albums that are ANYWHERE near the standard of 21 are Emeli Sande and Lana Del Rey (both of which aren't as good as 21, but a lot better than the likes of Rihanna, Taylor and Florence's latest attempts.)

People need to stop getting jealous that Adele is taking the spotlight and selling more than their favourites, then they will realise what a superb album this is. I hated 19, and only bought 21 because of Rolling In The Deep. To my surprise, Rolling In The Deep is one of the weaker songs on the album.

Again - 21 is a classic.

Of course its just your opinion but I cant find hardly anything here that I agree with. I think most agree 21 is not a classic, bit surprised you think it is. I certainly have heard no one call it that, even people who like it. Classic albums dont have filler and most classic albums are accepted as that across the board. One good indication of a classic album is when people who dont lke the artist in question stll admire it for what it is, in my case that would be say thriller.
    You would need to go back decades to find the last album that was really a classic. Classic is overused in music which actually undermines the word and the artists who have actually given the world a true classic album
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

What a load of crap.

RITD is the epitome of a Rock song

Has Hey Jude anything technically to offer?

What is the most famous song of Deep Purple? Smoke on the water, it is also the most easy song to play but neverless a classic

Oh God, I rest my case with you.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 172
    Forum Member

"Overrated" became a cath-word which doesn't really mean anything anymore except "I don't like it and can't or won't say anything reasonable about why". Stop using such meaningless words (it's not personally to you, it's in general).

You said that her music doesn't interest you, and that's fair enough, leave it at that. It has no bearing on the fact that she sold over 26,5 millions of albums, but if you feel like saying it, it's ok. This part at least conveys something meaningful.