Options

Male nursery workers et al

Comments

• Options
    TeddybleadsTeddybleads Posts: 6,814
    Forum Member
    I don't think these views are representative of the general public as a whole. Radio phone-ins are always going to feature extreme views, it's good for ratings.
  • Options
    DinkyDooDinkyDoo Posts: 3,588
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bet these people think male midwives are pervs too. Idiots!
  • Options
    Slarti BartfastSlarti Bartfast Posts: 6,607
    Forum Member
    Maxatoria wrote: »
    But if it saves one child then whatever the cost it has to be worth it

Well, since some women, like Vanessa George, also commit crimes against children, banning women from working with children would also save at least one child, so whatever the cost, is it worth it?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 591
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

This is my rationale for the humane destruction of all convicted DNA proven paedophiles. Even 10,000 dead nonces is better than one raped child. Of course it will never happen, which is why so many "disappear" when found out.
  • Options
    21stCenturyBoy21stCenturyBoy Posts: 44,506
    Forum Member
    People are very, very quick to tar the majority based on the actions of a minuscule minority.

I think it's because these people are fundamentally stupid, bigoted and reactionary.
  • Options
    SemieroticSemierotic Posts: 11,132
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    This is my rationale for the humane destruction of all convicted DNA proven paedophiles. Even 10,000 dead nonces is better than one raped child. Of course it will never happen, which is why so many "disappear" when found out.

Wow, glad you don't run the country. You have way too much faith in the veracity of 'DNA' evidence.
  • Options
    MaxatoriaMaxatoria Posts: 17,980
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I was being sarcastic...should of popped a smiley on the end :)
  • Options
    NoseyLouieNoseyLouie Posts: 5,651
    Forum Member
    I was being sarcastic...should of popped a smiley on the end :)

Sarcasm is easily lost non verbally, that's why i usually write (jokey) if I am in uber doubt :D

Well I am all for more men in education, my little one gets on better with males, think she finds women too squeaky and naggy, she gets that at home! she gets on well with the teaching assistant and janitor at school, who are men. The boys would have good role models if more men went and got posted, it would be of benefit.

Enough of this every man is a paedo nonsense...meh..
  • Options
    Sara WebbSara Webb Posts: 7,885
    Forum Member
    Jon Ross wrote: »
    I'm a man and it pains me to say it, but you can't deny the statistics that the vast majority of convicted paedophiles - and indeed murderers - are men. Sad but true, so you can understand where this anti-men agenda might come from.

I must admit I would never consider working with children because of paedophile paranoia and the albeit slight chance of false accusations that could be made because of my gender.

That's so sad. :(

One of my male friends from school is now a registered childminder. He gets the odd funny look from idiots, but he generally takes it in his stride. He's absolutely brilliant with kids and is a real natural when it comes to childcare. I'm glad he didn't let comments ignorant and overly suspicious paranoid types put him off his choice of career.
  • Options
    dee123dee123 Posts: 46,274
    Forum Member

One of the stupidest things ever said around here. Quite the feat!
  • Options
    MaxatoriaMaxatoria Posts: 17,980
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    dee123 wrote: »
    One of the stupidest things ever said around here. Quite the feat!

i was being sarcastic as i said above....its was meant to be embody some of the stupidity that always occurs in these sort of occasions
  • Options
    RandomSallyRandomSally Posts: 7,072
    Forum Member
    i was being sarcastic as i said above....its was meant to be embody some of the stupidity that always occurs in these sort of occasions

A smiley would def have helped :)
    I know people who truly think like that though. :eek:
  • Options
    CadivaCadiva Posts: 18,412
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What are your views of men who work in childcare, such as nursery workers? I ask as I caught a few minutes of Jeremy Vine on Radio 2 earlier discussing this in the aftermath of the recent case of child abuse at a nursery and some of the comments were horrendous, imo.

Some which stick in my mind are:

"Men who want to work with children are weird"
    "Nurseries should not employ men"
    "Women raise children, not men, because women are the mothers"
    "I wouldn't send my child to a nursery that employed a man"

What do you think? Are these comments justified? Is it sexism? Would you entrust your child to a male nursery worker?

I think it's disgraceful gender stereotyping. My son's nursery had a male worker and he was absolutely fantastic. I trusted him exactly the same as I trusted the women who worked there.
    Now he's at school, my son has a male teacher who will be going with his class throughout their time at infant school (because of the huge number of intake for primary this year, the schools in my town banded together to pay for an additional teacher) and he is brilliant with them. There will also be a male teaching assistant in their year when they go back next week.
    I think it's a crying shame that there is suspicion over any man wishing to teach or be a teaching or nursery assistant. Most sexual crimes against children are committed by someone they know so should we never leave any child alone with a male relative? It's utterly absurd.
  • Options
    thefairydandythefairydandy Posts: 3,235
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

The vast majority of child abuse is committed by close family members, so let's make sure no child ever has contact with a close family member. It has to be worth it, right? :rolleyes:

Predatory strangers really are the minority of cases for abuse.
  • Options
    juliancarswelljuliancarswell Posts: 8,896
    Forum Member
    I think equality in the workplace cuts both ways. We hear much about campaigns to address the balance in male dominated industries but very little on addressing the balance in female dominated industries. Why is this?[/QUOTE]

TT, it is precisely because it doesn't't cut both ways.
    The proportion of men in nursing is less than 10% , the proportion of men in Midwifery in less than 1% (iirc around .3%) could you imagine the uproar if there was .3% of take up for females on Medical Doctors courses at uni. There would be an outcry and massive drive to get women into medicine.
    There are countless Infant and Junior Schools where there is no sign of a man ( apart from the caretaker, which for some reason most women don't want to do)
    Yet the only time this is brought up is because of the effect it is having on young boys growing up with no males in their lives and falling into gangs for male company.
    No inquiry or push for men to take up these posts for their own benefit.
  • Options
    Jane Doh!Jane Doh! Posts: 43,307
    Forum Member

Oh dear...
  • Options
    Jol44Jol44 Posts: 21,048
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Most abuse is committed by women.
  • Options
    SchmiznurfSchmiznurf Posts: 4,434
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

But there have been a lot of women in the past 5-10 years for sexual abuse of children. So by your logic, all women should be barred from childcare too, if it saves one child and all.
  • Options
    VoynichVoynich Posts: 14,481
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The other side of the coin to these comments is the implication that Mothers should be at home raising children as only a Mother can look after a child properly. The attitude stinks to be honest.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Is it sexism?

Of course it's sexism, sadly there's no one in government to fight for the male case though. There's a Minister for Women and Equalities, but not one for men.
  • Options
    Raquelos.Raquelos. Posts: 7,734
    Forum Member
    Jol44 wrote: »
    Of course it's sexism, sadly there's no one in government to fight for the male case though. There's a Minister for Women and Equalities, but not one for men.

Men will simply have to do what women had to do, fight for themselves. If there was a genuine political movement among men to combat this then we might see some changes. There isn't one. Why is that?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Raquelos. wrote: »
    Men will simply have to do what women had to do, fight for themselves. If there was a genuine political movement among men to combat this then we might see some changes. There isn't one. Why is that?

Because it's early days I guess. It's only just now we are starting to see people question some of the double standards that exist in our society.

The whole equality thing needs to start to mature.
  • Options
    katinthehatkatinthehat Posts: 675
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Some children hardly see a male teacher until they go to junior school so I personally would like to see more males enter child care from nursery levels.

I can fully understand why men avoid early childcare when the public are so openly suspicious about their intentions.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,607
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think it's important that children have at least one male nursery worker/primary teacher. Many kids these days (not necesesarily at the fault of their parents) have no male parent present and it's great they can see and be around a strong influential male. I know there can be others but just incase having a male nursery worker or teacher won't do any harm.

People seem to forget most abuse is committed by a family member or family friend, so staff at the local nursery should not be their main cause for concern without reason.
  • Options
    NoseyLouieNoseyLouie Posts: 5,651
    Forum Member
    I think it's important that children have at least one male nursery worker/primary teacher. Many kids these days (not necesesarily at the fault of their parents) have no male parent present and it's great they can see and be around a strong influential male. I know there can be others but just incase having a male nursery worker or teacher won't do any harm.

People seem to forget most abuse is committed by a family member or family friend, so staff at the local nursery should not be their main cause for concern without reason.

Quoted for truth, I am of the same opinion