Why does David have Janine's money still.

SpiderMan 83SpiderMan 83 Posts: 11,590
Forum Member
✭✭
I thought Carol made him leave it. Anyway i thought he was selfish last night. Rather then help Carol's treatment cost he wants to spend it all on some rubbish car lot.

Comments

• SpiderMan 83SpiderMan 83 Posts: 11,590
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Bump.
  • starry_runestarry_rune Posts: 9,006
    Forum Member
    They don't handle finances well. Remember Roxy's millions that Shirley and Phil stole?
  • priscillapriscilla Posts: 34,370
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Very low of him to use Carol's cancer to get the deal. I think Carol was more worried about being ill than fighting David about the money.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,348
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Only £100K went on the car lot - it was £250K right off Janine? So 150K left for Carol's treatment.
  • innovativebecinnovativebec Posts: 394
    Forum Member
    Carol said she didn't want any of the money being spent for her treatment. She was disgusted with David because it was money gained through blackmail and said she wouldn't accept it.
    David's investing it in the car lot I think, obviously for selfish reasons but also so he can support the family with it on day to day finances etc if Carol gives up work because of her illness.
    I don't think Bianca would refuse money if David offered it to her for her and her kids. She certainly didn't turn down the dosh he offered her in the Vic when they were first reunited last year.
    Plus he's obviously trying to prove to Bianca and the family he's going to stick around.
    He still has some left, as well as the £35k he made from selling Janine's car.
  • blue_angelblue_angel Posts: 3,898
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Carol said she didn't want any of the money being spent for her treatment. She was disgusted with David because it was money gained through blackmail and said she wouldn't accept it.
    David's investing it in the car lot I think, partly through selfish reasons but also so he can support the family with it on day to day finances etc if Carol gives up work because of her illness.
    I don't think Bianca would refuse money if David offered it to her for her and her kids. She certainly didn't turn down the $2k he offered her last year.
    Plus he's obviously trying to prove to Bianca and the family he's going to stick around.
    He still has some left, as well as the £35k he made from selling Janine's car.

What bec said.

It's his second nature to wheel and deal, manipulate and con, and try and beg/borrow/steal/earn as much money as he can get his hands on.

That being said, David is a multifaceted character. As much as it's almost a reflex to try and charm his way to the top, he does genuinely care for his family and loves Carol and Bianca. He's a man that wants to a be family man, he just doesn't know how to naturally do it. It's not his natural instinct.

Him getting the money and trying to build it up in the business, is like a cat bringing you a dead bird. It's their instinct to do it, but they are also trying to do something they think you'd find nice, even if it isn't what you actually wanted.
  • Otis HillOtis Hill Posts: 2,322
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm wondering why the police havent questioned him about it. Surely Janine would have mentioned his blackmail to try and drag him down with her out of spite
  • valdvald Posts: 46,057
    Forum Member
    blue_angel wrote: »
    What bec said.

It's his second nature to wheel and deal, manipulate and con, and try and beg/borrow/steal/earn as much money as he can get his hands on.

That being said, David is a multifaceted character. As much as it's almost a reflex to try and charm his way to the top, he does genuinely care for his family and loves Carol and Bianca. He's a man that wants to a be family man, he just doesn't know how to naturally do it. It's not his natural instinct.

Him getting the money and trying to build it up in the business, is like a cat bringing you a dead bird. It's their instinct to do it, but they are also trying to do something they think you'd find nice, even if it isn't what you actually wanted.

Yes, and it's as much about nurture for David as well. Pat was a dreadful mother so he learnt nothing about parenting when he was growing up. His attempts at being a family man are clumsy and often misguided. He can be overbearing and manipulative in his attempt to be the man about the house. His hearts in the right place and there is a real desire to provide for his family in the long term. I don't think he trusts Terry to stay around, so he this isn't just about Carol but about his daughter and grandchildren as well. He knows they've had a hard life and is determined to be the one who changes this, convinced that if he'd stayed around their lives would have been so much easier.
  • GeekInfectedGeekInfected Posts: 6,372
    Forum Member
    They don't handle finances well. Remember Roxy's millions that Shirley and Phil stole?

Roxy spent her millions down to the thousands and then Phil and Shirley stole it
  • valdvald Posts: 46,057
    Forum Member
    Roxy spent her millions down to the thousands and then Phil and Shirley stole it

And then Phil gave it back.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 181
    Forum Member
    Otis Hill wrote: »
    I'm wondering why the police havent questioned him about it. Surely Janine would have mentioned his blackmail to try and drag him down with her out of spite

Exactly. There's a trial coming up too; the circumstances of the night she tried to abscond will be under the spotlight - the telephone recording of the confession is key evidence (how it was filmed, who by, for what purpose).

How did he bank the £250k? Just at the NatWest in the High Street?? Try walking into a branch with a holdall full of notes and see what happens.
  • mo mousemo mouse Posts: 38,764
    Forum Member
    A thieving leech who has never been able to hack life or provide for his family. He wants a proper toecapping.
  • BumbleSquatBumbleSquat Posts: 7,176
    Forum Member

How did he bank the £250k? Just at the NatWest in the High Street?? Try walking into a branch with a holdall full of notes and see what happens.

''I don't trust banks,'' is what his reply was when Max asked him what the hell he was doing walking around with 100k in a briefcase.

Any normal person would question where he suddenly acquired that sum of money out of the blue. But not Max - too busy licking his wounds over Kirsty publicly calling out his tiny dinky dong! ;-)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,133
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    £250k doesn't buy much cancer treatment anyway unfortunately.

Especially if you're thinking of tripping off to the USA :(
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 353
    Forum Member
    ''I don't trust banks,'' is what his reply was when Max asked him what the hell he was doing walking around with 100k in a briefcase.

Any normal person would question where he suddenly acquired that sum of money out of the blue. But not Max - too busy licking his wounds over Kirsty publicly calling out his tiny dinky dong! ;-)

Eastenders is particularly bad for having characters acquiring large amounts of bank notes at short notice with no explanation requested or given. I can only conclude that none of the characters are normal people.
  • mossy2103mossy2103 Posts: 84,308
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Only £100K went on the car lot - it was £250K right off Janine? So 150K left for Carol's treatment.
    And importantly, if the business can be made even more successful, it will provide a sustained income for the future.
  • radcliffe95radcliffe95 Posts: 4,086
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mo mouse wrote: »
    A thieving leech who has never been able to hack life or provide for his family. He wants a proper toecapping.

....but by far the best character on the show.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,348
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    mossy2103 wrote: »
    And importantly, if the business can be made even more successful, it will provide a sustained income for the future.

Plus the £35 K that David got for Janine's car - forgot about that, so £185 K in fact though it would appear Carol doesn't want it.