Options

The Mekong River with Sue Perkins [BBC]

Comments

• Options
    LenitiveLenitive Posts: 4,263
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Good God, what are the first two pages of this thread even about...

Really enjoyed the episode and found Sue an intelligent and personable presenter. It was fascinating to see the daily, evolving life for folk in Vietnam. The museum was chilling, and how brave of that man to tell his story to those who would listen. Looking forward to the rest of the series.
  • Options
    Prince MonaluluPrince Monalulu Posts: 35,900
    Forum Member
    Thanks for the bump, out last night and missed it, downloading now.
    Maybe silk from this sows ear of a thread is possible.

Some FM's might find Simon Reeve's Sacred Rivers interesting if they haven't heard of him or the program.
    Adventurer Simon Reeve travels from source to sea along the world's longest river, the Nile. His journey will take him from the holy source of the Blue Nile in the Ethiopian highlands

Oh was Sue trying to 'find herself', as the OP said, I suspect not.
  • Options
    LostFoolLostFool Posts: 90,662
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Lenitive wrote: »
    Good God, what are the first two pages of this thread even about...

Really enjoyed the episode and found Sue an intelligent and personable presenter. It was fascinating to see the daily, evolving life for folk in Vietnam. The museum was chilling, and how brave of that man to tell his story to those who would listen. Looking forward to the rest of the series.

I was in Phnom Penh a few years ago and met that chap. He is at the Genocide Museum every day as a living witness to what happened there only a few decades ago

The walk around the Killing Fields listening to the audio guide is one of the most emotional things I have ever done in my life. As Sue said, it's not a place you ever want to go back to but it is an important place to visit once in your life.
  • Options
    GodAtumGodAtum Posts: 552
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    its a shame simon reeve didnt present this
  • Options
    TheGrumpWizardTheGrumpWizard Posts: 1,547
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    LostFool wrote: »
    I was in Phnom Penh a few years ago and met that chap. He is at the Genocide Museum every day as a living witness to what happened there only a few decades ago

The walk around the Killing Fields listening to the audio guide is one of the most emotional things I have ever done in my life. As Sue said, it's not a place you ever want to go back to but it is an important place to visit once in your life.
    Please do not take this as anything other than what it is, a straight forward question...why did you visit the Killing Fields? I ask as I don't understand the need to go to the actual location of some of the worlds most horrific crimes and mass murders, as with Auschwitz, especially knowing the effect in may have. Learning, reading and hearing about them is horrendous enough. What is the attraction?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Please do not take this as anything other than what it is, a straight forward question...why did you visit the Killing Fields? I ask as I don't understand the need to go to the actual location of some of the worlds most horrific crimes and mass murders, as with Auschwitz, especially knowing the effect in may have. Learning, reading and hearing about them is horrendous enough. What is the attraction?

It's a fair enough question. Even when I planned to go to Phnom Penh I didn't know whether I'd want to go to the Killing Fields (when I went to Krakow I decided I couldn't cope with Auschwitz so went on a vodka drinking tour instead) but when I got there I just found myself drawn to the place. You can read all you want about Pol Plot and watch documentaries but actually walking around the Killing Fields raises your understanding to another level.

It's an incredibly moving experience and the Cambodian authorities have done well to maintain the dignity of the place without turning it into a tourist attraction. I'd encourage people to go there - then head out for some cheap beer and cocktails in Phnom Penh to reflect on what you have seen. This isn't ancient history. This was happening when I was at school.
  • Options
    jojoenojojoeno Posts: 1,842
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Have to say I liked the prog and was taken aback at just how good she was. Also was also stunned at the lovely figure and boobs she has which up to now I never really saw or appreciated.

Yep I have a different perspective on Sue Perky especially on doing prog docus like this.
  • Options
    StrakerStraker Posts: 79,658
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What a shame for all those condemning it in advance that this was rather bloody good.
  • Options
    valkayvalkay Posts: 15,726
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I must admit I wasn't expecting much from Sue Perkins and was prepared to find her annoying, but surprisingly I enjoyed the programme and she was quite intelligent and eloquent, when she wasn't trying to be funny.
  • Options
    Prince MonaluluPrince Monalulu Posts: 35,900
    Forum Member
    jojoeno wrote: »
    Have to say I liked the prog and was taken aback at just how good she was. Also was also stunned at the lovely figure and boobs she has which up to now I never really saw or appreciated.

Yep I have a different perspective on Sue Perky especially on doing prog docus like this.

Ahh, you're late to this party, been covered before.
  • Options
    TheGrumpWizardTheGrumpWizard Posts: 1,547
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's a fair enough question. Even when I planned to go to Phnom Penh I didn't know whether I'd want to go to the Killing Fields (when I went to Krakow I decided I couldn't cope with Auschwitz so went on a vodka drinking tour instead) but when I got there I just found myself drawn to the place. You can read all you want about Pol Plot and watch documentaries but actually walking around the Killing Fields raises your understanding to another level.

It's an incredibly moving experience and the Cambodian authorities have done well to maintain the dignity of the place without turning it into a tourist attraction. I'd encourage people to go there - then head out for some cheap beer and cocktails in Phnom Penh to reflect on what you have seen. This isn't ancient history. This was happening when I was at school.
    I appreciate living history but think I'd stick to the cheap beer and cocktails! Thanks for the answer.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I appreciate living history but think I'd stick to the cheap beer and cocktails! Thanks for the answer.

In which case you should definitely go to Phnom Penh. It's happy hours are legendary.
  • Options
    Jason CJason C Posts: 31,336
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    In which case you should definitely go to Phnom Penh. It's happy hours are legendary.

Suppose they've got a lot to make up for.
  • Options
    Jimmy ConnorsJimmy Connors Posts: 117,895
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Straker wrote: »
    What a shame for all those condemning it in advance that this was rather bloody good.

It was good. Glad I watched it.

I am not familiar with Sue Perkins at all. I found her to be a very personable lady. Loved Mrs Noodles, the lady that sells her noodles on the river. :)

Looking forward to the next episode.
  • Options
    mazzy50mazzy50 Posts: 13,304
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Just watched this on catch up.

I thought it was interesting and engaging - along similar lines to the way Simon Reeve covers the countries he visits.
  • Options
    barbelerbarbeler Posts: 23,827
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I like Sue Perkins (even though nothing would get me to watch that baking thing) so I'll watch it tonight, seeing as there's yet another of those stupid international breaks disrupting the football.
  • Options
    vauxhall1964vauxhall1964 Posts: 10,360
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sue Perkins was rather good in this. Quite an inspired choice of presenter in fact.
  • Options
    allafixallafix Posts: 20,690
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I like Sue Perkins, I like travel programmes and I am particularly fascinated by Vietnam and Cambodia. So I recorded episode 1 and watched it today. The big problem I had with it is that it's all about her and her relationship with the people she met. Not just her as a person, but her as a TV persona. I don't have any problem with celebrity fronted documentaries but the celeb can't be the focus of the action. Karl Pilkington fits in better on his travels.

Some of her discoveries were breathtaking. Working in paddy fields is apparently back breaking work. Who knew? The locals peeing and crapping in the river was quite a surprise (to Sue at least), or so she said. She isn't thick so why pretend to be? We saw her hugging her various hosts in thanks but I got the impression they were glad to see the back of her. Especially the paddy field woman who told her she'd like her life style. Sue seemed to have very little empathy with her surroundings. On the dragon boat she looked decidely miffed when she got hit by the paddle behind her and took its sinking rather personally too. How dare it sink, she wouldn't be able to win.

The bit with the border policeman and his uniform was bizarre. She told him to his face that he probably only did the job for the uniform (which was spectacular). Then seemed to expect him to be pleased. WTF? That kind of comment better kept for the voiceover commentary. I'd hate to travel with her if she always winds up border officials like that.

She toned down for the Killing Fields museum thankfully, that part was sensitively presented, but most of the programme was basically Sue P doing her comedy act on tour in the Far East.

Ironically, when I went back to live TV, BBC was showing a repeat of the Cambodia and Vietnam epsiode of Rick Stein's Far Eastern journey. What a contrast. I'm not a big fan of his but his film was much more interesting.
  • Options
    Dub2Dub2 Posts: 2,869
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I thought it was one of the best programmes on that part of the world i have ever seen, and i really wasn`t expecting much. Sue Perkins was amazingly good, again something i wasn`t expecting. Very much looking forward to the next episodes.
  • Options
    allafixallafix Posts: 20,690
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Were we watching the same programme?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Anyone else watching this evening?
  • Options
    immusicimmusic Posts: 955
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    mazzy50 wrote: »
    Anyone else watching this evening?

Yes! Me and hopefully lots of other people because the vitriol on here so far has been completely undeserved. I hope Sue doesn't read this thread :(
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    immusic wrote: »
    Yes! Me and hopefully lots of other people because the vitriol on here so far has been completely undeserved. I hope Sue doesn't read this thread :(

Indeed.

I am finding this episode just as interesting as last week.

Those stats about the tigers are so sad. Only 31 remaining in the wild.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I remember seeing mouse deer in Singapore zoo on a night safari - so beautiful. They were so tiny that at first I thought there was nothing in the enclosure. Very sad to hear that they are very endangered, but I understand where Sue is coming from when she feels torn due to the poverty of some of the people involved.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 68,508
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think she's done a good job of showing the conflict between animal rights and human rights in very poor places. She was obviously upset at the pig tied up and waiting to be killed, but she was right - it is not her world and she has to respect their traditions.