Options

Signal Problems with cabling

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 21
Forum Member
Hi All,

Hope you can help.
I keep losing signal to my Sky+ HD box and have narrowed it down to being the cable.
We live in a flat, one sky dish feeding multiple apartment via a multi box.

I have re-made all 4 ends of the feed cable, and managed to get signal back, however if I plug feed 1 in only, i get good signal and quality. If I then add feed 2, both signal and quality drop to the lowest possible and then both feeds struggle to hold signal.

I have checked the cables to make sure that they are not shorting on each other and can see no problems.

No-one else in the black has problems, which suggests its defiantly something to do with my kit.

Anyone got any thoughts?

Thanks

Ben

Comments

• Options
    Dave-HDave-H Posts: 9,940
    Forum Member
    b1nuzz wrote: »
    I have re-made all 4 ends of the feed cable
    Four ends?
    How many cables actually are there?
    Does the signal drop when you connect the second cable happen regardless of which cable you connect first and which input you connect it to first?
    If so, it sounds like a problem with the distribution system.
    If you can get access to it, see if there are any spare unused outputs your cables could be swapped to to eliminate the problem.
    It really needs to be sorted out by the people who maintain it for the building owners.
    :)
  • Options
    Nigel GoodwinNigel Goodwin Posts: 58,530
    Forum Member
    Dave-H wrote: »
    Four ends?
    How many cables actually are there?

???????

Normal HD+, two cables, four ends - where's the confusion?

Presumably the problem is with the distribution system, or it's not wired correctly (such as trying to use a splitter instead of the required two feeds).
  • Options
    Deacon1972Deacon1972 Posts: 8,171
    Forum Member
    ???????

Normal HD+, two cables, four ends - where's the confusion?

Presumably the problem is with the distribution system, or it's not wired correctly (such as trying to use a splitter instead of the required two feeds).

Or....

Two cables and they have refitted the connections at both ends.

"4 ends" is open to interpretation (as shown here) so could lead to confusion.
  • Options
    Dave-HDave-H Posts: 9,940
    Forum Member
    Indeed so!
    If the OP has re-made four F connectors presumably there is a faceplate on the wall in his flat rather than cables coming in, although he doesn't actually mention that.
    If that is the case eliminating the cables should be easy enough just by substitution, but from the symptoms described it's much more likely to be a problem with the feeds from the distribution system.
    :)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 21
    Forum Member
    Thanks for your help.
    Sorry i should have been clearer.
    Yes there is a face plate on the wall so i re-made 4 F connectors. 2 cables.

So an update;

Both feeds seem to be working OK from the distribution box. If I try them both one at a time, they are clean, and i have tried both of them individually in both inputs on the Sky dish.

Now, if i connect input 1 to either of the faceplate outputs i get good signal. As soon as I connect input 2, i lose it. Nothing. AND signal 1 drops.

This happens the same the other way around, as in, if i do it all with input 2 first.

Occasionally both feeds will work, but the quality of input 1 drops massively. How is this possible if they are both coming from the same dish?

Thanks

Ben
  • Options
    sodafountainsodafountain Posts: 16,863
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Can you try your box on someone else's system, or maybe try another box on your connection, that should determine whether the fault is in the wiring end, or the box end.
  • Options
    kenedinkenedin Posts: 547
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Maybe the wallplate itself. Dust, debris etc behind it?