Options

200th story

bodsworthnjbodsworthnj Posts: 313
Forum Member
Acording to my calculations the story "the silence in the library/ River's run" is going to be the 200th story since Doctor who's start in 1963.
Obviously all multiparters count as one story.

http://www.gallifreyone.com/epguide-dw10.php

Comments

• Options
    MansunMansun Posts: 2,155
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That episode guide is slightly off because it's including 'Shada', the untransmitted story. The actual 200th broadcast story will be the episode 'Midnight', which follows Moffat's two-parter.

However... things get slightly more tricky because whereas previously the BBC counted 'Trial Of A Time Lord' as four separate stories (Mysterious Planet, Mindwarp, Terror Of The Vervoids and Ultimate Foe) it seems that they're now counting it as one, which reduces the numbering of every subsequent story by three, so they're now claiming that the 200th story will actually be episode six of the new season!

Pah, bloody new numbering system! TOATL will always be four stories as far as I'm concerned! :p Easier to verify is the number of episodes. Episode 12 this year will undeniably be the 750th episode of Doctor Who.
  • Options
    The SlugThe Slug Posts: 4,162
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mansun wrote: »
    Episode 12 this year will undeniably be the 750th episode of Doctor Who.

Does that include items like the 2005 CIN mini-episode and Time Crash? ;)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Slug wrote: »
    <sticks fingers in ears>

La la la! I can't hear you! La la la!

:p
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 13,767
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The Slug wrote: »

would they not be regarded as part of the episodes...Parting of the Ways or TCI and with Time Crash LotTL or VotD?
  • Options
    JCRJCR Posts: 24,076
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I demand to know if Dimensions in Time counts! :p
  • Options
    be more pacificbe more pacific Posts: 19,061
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Episode 12 this year will undeniably be the 750th episode of Doctor Who.
    Are you counting The Five Doctors as 1 episode or 4? Are you counting Resurrection of the Daleks as 2 episodes or 4?
  • Options
    A for AndromedaA for Andromeda Posts: 47
    Forum Member
    Are you counting The Five Doctors as 1 episode or 4? Are you counting Resurrection of the Daleks as 2 episodes or 4?

The question is what is the official BBC take on all of this? How do they count it? :confused:
  • Options
    Dr TheteDr Thete Posts: 573
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Acording to my calculations the story "the silence in the library/ River's run" is going to be the 200th story since Doctor who's start in 1963.
    Obviously all multiparters count as one story.

http://www.gallifreyone.com/epguide-dw10.php
    That episode guide is slightly off because it's including 'Shada', the untransmitted story. The actual 200th broadcast story will be the episode 'Midnight', which follows Moffat's two-parter.

However... things get slightly more tricky because whereas previously the BBC counted 'Trial Of A Time Lord' as four separate stories (Mysterious Planet, Mindwarp, Terror Of The Vervoids and Ultimate Foe) it seems that they're now counting it as one, which reduces the numbering of every subsequent story by three, so they're now claiming that the 200th story will actually be episode six of the new season!

Pah, bloody new numbering system! TOATL will always be four stories as far as I'm concerned! :p Easier to verify is the number of episodes. Episode 12 this year will undeniably be the 750th episode of Doctor Who.
    The question is what is the official BBC take on all of this? How do they count it? :confused:

DWM, on their Facebook forums, have confirmed that the BBC have said that the first 2009 special will be marked as the 200th story.

It works like this - if you go by the Outpost Gallifrey story guide you get 192 stories. That is inaccurate on four counts (officially):

1) Shada was never completed - so that's one taken off.

2) 'The Trial of a Timelord', though often treated as four stories, officially only had one title, and a cliffhanger at the end of every episode up until thirteen. Officially then - it is only one story (and, indeed, was at the time - only for the sake of novelisations and video releases was it split into four using the working title of each segment - JNT later decided to go with this so he could publicise 'Dragonfire' as story 150) - so that's three taken off.

3) The Outpost Gallifrey guide counts 'Utopia' and 'The Sound of Drums/Last of the Time Lords' as two different stories. Officially, however, they are one three parter - so that's one taken off.

4) The guide hasn't (and won't) be updated to include 'Voyage of the Damned' - so that's one added.

There are, in series four, ten stories. The 2008 Christmas special adds one more.

'Time Crash', 'Dimensions in Time', 'The Curse of Fatal Death' and any webcasts are all not counted.

That means:

192 - 1 - 3 - 1 + 1 + 10 + 1=

Meaning that the first special of 2009 is, indeed, the 200th broadcast TV story.

Mansun - when you took three stories off by taking into account 'Trial' as a single story, you moved in the wrong direction. Reducing the number of pre-existing stories makes the 200th story come later rather than earlier.

If anyone feels really wed to the idea that Shada and/or a four story season 23 and/or 'Utopia' as a separate story is their preferred truth (though it still remains the case that the producers' original intentions in every case was what the BBC have now made official) - bear in mind that this will give the BBC a major hook on which to start the specials. They may even have something extra nice planned in lieu of not managing a thirtieth or fortieth anniversary special.
  • Options
    Old Man 43Old Man 43 Posts: 6,214
    Forum Member
    Dr Thete wrote: »
    DWM, on their Facebook forums, have confirmed that the BBC have said that the first 2009 special will be marked as the 200th story.

It works like this - if you go by the Outpost Gallifrey story guide you get 192 stories. That is inaccurate on four counts (officially):

1) Shada was never completed - so that's one taken off.

2) 'The Trial of a Timelord', though often treated as four stories, officially only had one title, and a cliffhanger at the end of every episode up until thirteen. Officially then - it is only one story (and, indeed, was at the time - only for the sake of novelisations and video releases was it split into four using the working title of each segment - JNT later decided to go with this so he could publicise 'Dragonfire' as story 150) - so that's three taken off.

3) The Outpost Gallifrey guide counts 'Utopia' and 'The Sound of Drums/Last of the Time Lords' as two different stories. Officially, however, they are one three parter - so that's one taken off.

4) The guide hasn't (and won't) be updated to include 'Voyage of the Damned' - so that's one added.

There are, in series four, ten stories. The 2008 Christmas special adds one more.

'Time Crash', 'Dimensions in Time', 'The Curse of Fatal Death' and any webcasts are all not counted.

That means:

192 - 1 - 3 - 1 + 1 + 10 + 1=

Meaning that the first special of 2009 is, indeed, the 200th broadcast TV story.

Mansun - when you took three stories off by taking into account 'Trial' as a single story, you moved in the wrong direction. Reducing the number of pre-existing stories makes the 200th story come later rather than earlier.

If anyone feels really wed to the idea that Shada and/or a four story season 23 and/or 'Utopia' as a separate story is their preferred truth (though it still remains the case that the producers' original intentions in every case was what the BBC have now made official) - bear in mind that this will give the BBC a major hook on which to start the specials. They may even have something extra nice planned in lieu of not managing a thirtieth or fortieth anniversary special.

Why not
  • Options
    bodsworthnjbodsworthnj Posts: 313
    Forum Member
    I counted the voyage of the damned and shada hasen't benn counted in the guide
  • Options
    The SlugThe Slug Posts: 4,162
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Old Man 43 wrote: »
    Why not

Outpost Gallifrey is no more, that's why. :(

The news articles are continuing as The Doctor Who News Page, and the Forum is continuing as The Doctor Who Forum, but I guess other parts of the site such as the episode guides are just too much work to keep up to date now.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    As broadcast - Five Doctors is one and Resurrection is two. Though Resurrection being re-edited into four episodes for the DVD release doesn't help matters!
    I counted the voyage of the damned and shada hasen't benn counted in the guide
    It has - look in the Tom Baker section and they have it listed as story #109.
    Didn't they have separate production codes though? Actually, I've just checked and it seems the first segment was 7A, the second was 7B, and the third and fourth had a combined code of 7C, meaning you could potentially count it as three stories!
    Doh! You are correct of course.:o And yeah, they probably will use it as a big publicity hook for the first of the specials.

Anyway, I still stand by the idea that episode 12 of this coming season is the 750th actual, real, written, produced and broadcast on the telly, not-a-spoof-or-charity-sketch, proper episode of Doctor Who!:D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Didn't they have separate production codes though? Actually, I've just checked and it seems the first segment was 7A, the second was 7B, and the third and fourth had a combined code of 7C, meaning you could potentially count it as three stories!

Three production codes, four segments, one story. 'Trial' is an awkward bugger to categorise. However - the fact that it is given only one title on screen, has 'Part One' through to 'Part Fourteen' displayed, and has cliffhangers all the way through, pretty much shores up that the intention at the time was to think of it as a single story.
    Anyway, I still stand by the idea that episode 12 of this coming season is the 750th actual, real, written, produced and broadcast on the telly, not-a-spoof-or-charity-sketch, proper episode of Doctor Who!:D

I remember that the Time Team in DWM noted that there were 696 episodes prior to the show's return. There have been another 42 since then - making 738 - so yes, episode 12 of series four will be the 750th.
  • Options
    SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    JCR wrote: »
    I demand to know if Dimensions in Time counts! :p

That needs to wiped from all our memories.

Retcon anyone?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    emma30 wrote: »
    That needs to wiped from all our memories.

Retcon anyone?

Just be thankful that it can never be released on DVD.
  • Options
    ListentomeListentome Posts: 9,804
    Forum Member
    Sorry if I am living in a parallel universe, but I thought last year's Gridlock was said to be the 200th story?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Listentome wrote: »
    Sorry if I am living in a parallel universe, but I thought last year's Gridlock was said to be the 200th story?

Nope. There's no way of counting stories, or even possible stories (e.g. 'Dimensions in Time' or 'Time Crash'), that could make it 200th either.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,910
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

The BBC couldn't even preserve all the episodes for posterity so who cares what they think.:mad:

Not that it matters of course. Episode numbering that is. ;)
  • Options
    be more pacificbe more pacific Posts: 19,061
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The BBC couldn't even preserve all the episodes for posterity so who cares what they think.:mad:

Not that it matters of course. Episode numbering that is. ;)

Episode numbering matters more than episode naming, though. There are fans out there who seriously think Mission to the Unknown should be referred to by its production title Dalek Cutaway.:D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,980
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Wheeeeeeeeeeee!
    It's great being a nerd isn't it?!! I love this stuff!
    If I wasn't reading this I'd have to do some work...
    Worms:tin:opened:D:D:D