Options

Documentaries - treating us like goldfish?

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 511
Forum Member
✭✭
Does anybody else get irritated by the trend of most (if not all) documentaries filling time by telling you (and showing clips of) what is coming up in the next segment after the commercial break and then when the doco returns having to endure a recap of all the stuff I've just watched -because obviously I've got the memory of a goldfish and forgotten everything during the 3 minute break (or actually in the 30 seconds it took me to fast forward through the ads)? it's even more annoying when watching somethin on Anytime cos there are no breaks but the recaps and teasers are still in place! rant over

Comments

• Options
    peodudepeodude Posts: 286
    Forum Member
    Dragons Den have slipped this in, to accommodate other countries who purchase the show with adverts. Another show I watch, Fifth Gear, do what you mention as well, and it probably takes up a good 5 or 10 mins of show time.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 366
    Forum Member
    Documentaries were much more enjoyable years ago before this ridiculous trend took off. I find the majority of programming unwatchable because of things like this. The worst thing about it is the "spoiler" aspect. The "coming next" outtakes always give far too much away.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,470
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have stopped watching them as they drive me mad with the constant updates.
    Discovery Channels like to pretend that a very serious problem has occoured and the thing that is being built (could be a new airport terminal or a bridge) will never go any further and millions will be loose their jobs or might get hurt in all sorts of ways. Then after the advert break some bloke belts something with a hammer and all is well so we can move on for the next 10 mins. Then it's oh my goodness that thingy wont fit into that whotsit so all is doomed and on it goes.........
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 34
    Forum Member
    I agree that the reason for this is because the shows are sold abroad with many advert breaks in the show.
    Or possibly because of the veiwers limited attention span these days.
  • Options
    Doghouse RileyDoghouse Riley Posts: 32,491
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    TV documentaries on all channels sadly, even now on BBC2 are presented like so many "Cheap Daytime Tat TV" programmes. They are "presenter focused."
    Comedians, ex Blue Peter nerds, actors, actresses, newsreaders and auto-cuties are roped in to present documentaries on subjects on which they've either a passing acquaintance or none, all in the search for ratings.

The logic is "dumb it down to include the type of audience that wouldn't normally be interested."

What happens is that often those who actually might be interested, consider their intelligence somewhat insulted by this manner of presentation and don't bother to watch.

We now have a large number of people who watch TV (not necessarily the licence payer in the home) who are more interested in these "celebrity presenters" than the actual programmes.
    You'll see other threads on this board where people are discussing their "presenter favourites" as if the programme they are fronting whilst waving their hands about, is of secondary importance.

Believe me it'll get worse.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 34
    Forum Member
    The new morning show about benefit cheats, "Saints and Scroungers" is an excellent example of this practice. There are several stories told within each episode and the presenter flits from one to another, constantly telling the viewer what is coming up, then telling part of another story, going back to the first one, reminding us what he's already said and so on. They even keep showing the same clips. Of the total running time of 45 minutes at least a quarter of it must be repeated. Makes it almost unwatchable as it is so annoying.
  • Options
    chrisbartleychrisbartley Posts: 1,790
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    you'd think/wish/hope that at least the bbc created/funded ones could be produced in 2 edit formats, one for the straight end to end bbc showing and another for the other commercial markets they sell it to which have to cater for add breaks.
  • Options
    CrazyeyeskillerCrazyeyeskiller Posts: 4,869
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Spiderpig wrote: »
    I have stopped watching them as they drive me mad with the constant updates.
    Discovery Channels like to pretend that a very serious problem has occoured and the thing that is being built (could be a new airport terminal or a bridge) will never go any further and millions will be loose their jobs or might get hurt in all sorts of ways. Then after the advert break some bloke belts something with a hammer and all is well so we can move on for the next 10 mins. Then it's oh my goodness that thingy wont fit into that whotsit so all is doomed and on it goes.........

Haha very true. Nice username btw.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 15,448
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Depends which doccies you watch.I only do More 4 C4- Unreported World,True Stories,Despatches, and BBC 4 Storyville.. no recaps after ads on commercial channels.

I do not see one single thread for the doccie of the century shown last night-The Shock Doctrine..which shows most people prefer "reality " shows I guess.
  • Options
    brangdonbrangdon Posts: 14,110
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    MickEden wrote: »
    because obviously I've got the memory of a goldfish and forgotten everything during the 3 minute break
    Presumably it is actually aimed at people who switched channels during the break and didn't see the earlier part. And the trailer before the break is to help you decide (not) to switch channels.

It's not saying you have poor memory at all.
  • Options
    Prince MonaluluPrince Monalulu Posts: 35,900
    Forum Member
    Stewing wrote: »
    Depends which doccies you watch.I only do More 4 C4- Unreported World,True Stories,Despatches, and BBC 4 Storyville.. no recaps after ads on commercial channels.

I do not see one single thread for the doccie of the century shown last night-The Shock Doctrine..which shows most people prefer "reality " shows I guess.

I was wondering what Docs people were on about, as I watch those strands and don't remember these recaps and 'coming ups'
    I've seen them on Ramsay's Kitchen Nightmares USA, but that's not a doc.
    What Docs are people talking about.

As another FM says it's probably there to stop you flipping during the break and to draw newcomers into the
    program after the break.
    Ch4 listings seems to be a bit broken, do you know if/when Shock Doctrine is repeated?

Oh Ch4 listings seems to be a bit broken, do you know if/when Shock Doctrine is repeated.
    You're in the wrong place if you're expecting any traffic on a thread related to Docs on here.
    If there isn't a celeb or well known personality involved virtually no f'ers interested, even when they are it usually goes off into how much the FM's do/don't fancy them or their presenting style.
    I'll go off and grumble elsewhere now :)