Friend with severe OCD

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 977
Forum Member
✭✭
Basically, one of my friends has really severe OCD to the point that it's affecting everyone else's lives. I have mild OCD so I do understand her, but my patience is wearing thin.

For example, we went shopping today and she bought a watch that both of us liked. I noticed it first and suggested she buy it as she'd been looking for one for months. She bought it and when she got home she texted me saying that her OCD wouldn't let her keep it because I saw it first and if she kept it she thought that her mother would die (the obsession part of her OCD usually involves horrible images of her family being killed, which is why it's so severe). I had to go to her flat and pick up the watch which is now sitting on my desk being useless. She can't take it back as it was a sale item.

Also, she is obsessed with cleanliness, and whenever you go into her room you are hit with such a strong smell of cleaning products it makes you gag.

I've tried talking to her to calm her down, reassure her that it's just her OCD and her parents are completely safe, and she's on the waiting list for counselling. She's already on medication and has had a lot of therapy in the past, but nothing seems to be helping.

Is there anything I can do to make it easier for her? It's not a nice thing to witness - the smallest thing sets her off into a panic attack.

Thank you :)

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 727
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hi,

I thought i should reply as Im 31 and had OCD since i was about 6. All i can say is that you need to be patient with her. If she feels you are being annoyed with her it will just make her more anxious. Its good she is on a waiting list but i know they take a long time. Recommend she visit the OCDUK site, you can join and become a member.

http://www.ocduk.org/

There is an annual meeting and a forum where people with OCD can talk about their frustrations. I know from experience that family and friends get frustrated but if you care a lot for this friend then stick with her, she needs good friends around her. If it ever really gets too much for you just take a bit of time out, dont give up on her.
    One thing they teach you in Cognitive Behavioural Therapy is to face the fears, when she is in therapy they will probably ask her not to get people to help her (like the watch thing) My Mum had to refuse my irrational pleas and its hard but im so much better now. It didnt go away for me but some people recover. Most learn the tools in therapy to deal with it.

I hope you stick with your friend, tell her it will get better

x
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 455
    Forum Member
    I have pretty severe OCD with cleanliness, order and intrusive thoughts.

I was getting desperate and tried a hypnotherapy session from here
    http://www.josephclough.com/overcome-ocd-p-56.html?osCsid=reddjeclv047rm06o1keekvsr4

and it worked quite well! I get less panicked about not completing the rituals, and the intrusive thoughts have quietened down.

i've also tried therapy, CBT and I found anti-depressants helped me as well.