✭✭✭✭
    kernow19 wrote: »
    I keep confusing her with Jill Halfpenny :confused:

Tuppence ha'penny ;););)
  • Options
    Eater SundaeEater Sundae Posts: 10,000
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You mean like the toilets in the Rovers Return have to be in the house next door?

Whatever you do, never watch Doctor Who.
  • Options
    ricardoyluciaricardoylucia Posts: 911
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    In my opinion, this was rubbish, crap, diabolical...missed out parts of the storyline..acting was awful..1 out of 10 for the train..for get the rest, forget it....television and film companies should NEVER make remakes of fabulous originals, which can never be bettered..
  • Options
    BorefestBorefest Posts: 9,557
    Forum Member
    I have had a bad weekends viewing today I watched this and yesterday I watched Colin Farrell in Alexander both as bad as one another!!!
  • Options
    John DoughJohn Dough Posts: 146,632
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Whatever you do, never watch Doctor Who.

That's good advice for everybody.;):sleep:
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 15
    Forum Member
    That was one of the most dislikable main characters I've ever seen.
  • Options
    Haggis&ChipsHaggis&Chips Posts: 643
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Did I hear Hoopoes in the background of that supposedly 'quintessentially' English final scene?!
  • Options
    mal2poolmal2pool Posts: 5,690
    Forum Member
    Was okay. All star cast? I'd never heard of them myself! Was this version going by the novel? What happened to the special brand of tea miss froy had in the dining compartment and her writing her name on the window in the carraige.
    Not as good as the original. Didnt like the characters much really
  • Options
    domedome Posts: 55,878
    Forum Member
    So, no real explainations to why nobody corroborated her story then.....

The two sisters wanted to get home for a flower show.

The Vicar and his wife were rushing home as their son had been diagnosed with Influenza.

The couple were on an extra marital affair break and were returning to their respective spouses.
  • Options
    enna_genna_g Posts: 2,035
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well I must be in the minority but I enjoyed it. It was apparently based on the original novel not any of the film or TV versions. The girl was supposed to be unsympathetic - she made a nuisance of herself and no-one liked her apart from the young man but she was tenacious and did the right thing where everyone else couldn't be bothered because of their personal circumstances. As for leaving the young man in the end - I would too if someone had drugged me!
  • Options
    beerqueenbeerqueen Posts: 91
    Forum Member
    dome wrote: »
    The two sisters wanted to get home for a flower show.

The Vicar and his wife were rushing home as their son had been diagnosed with Influenza.

The couple were on an extra marital affair break and were returning to their respective spouses.
    enna_g wrote: »
    Well I must be in the minority but I enjoyed it. It was apparently based on the original novel not any of the film or TV versions. The girl was supposed to be unsympathetic - she made a nuisance of herself and no-one liked her apart from the young man but she was tenacious and did the right thing where everyone else couldn't be bothered because of their personal circumstances. As for leaving the young man in the end - I would too if someone had drugged me!

I was going to post more or less exactly the same. It WAS explained why each person/people lied - all for separate reasons. And it was based on the original book, not the Hitchcock film (I haven't seen that so can't comment on which was better).

It wasn't brilliant but it wasn't bad either.
  • Options
    AlbacomAlbacom Posts: 34,578
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    beerqueen wrote: »
    I was going to post more or less exactly the same. It WAS explained why each person/people lied - all for separated reasons.

I believe it would have been the more enjoyable had it been shown at Christmas as intended. It was sort of "Christmassey" without being Christmassey if you know what I mean. I reckon this was bumped for Loving Miss Hatto. However, I did enjoy it. It was a decent enough way to while away 90 minutes.
  • Options
    DavetheScotDavetheScot Posts: 16,623
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I might have liked it better if I hadn't seen the Hitchcock film. This was very much inferior to that.

I'd disagree with some posters about the lead actress though. It was clear that they intended her to be dislikeable to start with; all the dialogue pointed that way. She became far more likeable later as she became increasingly isolated and vulnerable. I don't think there was any lack of ability or charm on Tuppence Middleton's part, she was just playing the part as it was intended to be in this version.
  • Options
    Granny McSmithGranny McSmith Posts: 19,622
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    beerqueen wrote: »
    I was going to post more or less exactly the same. It WAS explained why each person/people lied - all for separate reasons. And it was based on the original book, not the Hitchcock film (I haven't seen that so can't comment on which was better).

But this is such a typical thread for this forum.

"Too slow", yes, if you have some form of ADD, "nothing is explained" er, yes it was, "characters not nice", yes, that was the point, etc etc.

If you want a decent discussion you have to wait until all the moaners have had their say, then come back and discuss it properly.
  • Options
    tiltonlandtiltonland Posts: 234
    Forum Member
    I've seen a lot worse on a sunday night,,,,quite an enjoyable hour and a half.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    But this is such a typical thread for this forum.

"Too slow", yes, if you have some form of ADD, "nothing is explained" er, yes it was, "characters not nice", yes, that was the point, etc etc.

If you want a decent discussion you have to wait until all the moaners have had their say, then come back and discuss it properly.

Agreed Granny. It was a perfectly enjoyable 90 minutes which made perfect sense. Some people possibly need to pay more attention to what they're watching!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 87
    Forum Member
    I enjoyed it and thought Tuppence Middleton played her part well. This version was based on the book, not on Hitchcock's film so of course there were differences. I have to admit I'm surprised by the number of negative comments on the forum - still, each to their own!
  • Options
    Chris1964Chris1964 Posts: 19,817
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    enna_g wrote: »

I enjoyed it too. Im sure I must have seen the film but could not remember it, and its a story to get engrossed in on a dark rainy night.
  • Options
    -Sid--Sid- Posts: 29,365
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The most gripping drama I've watched in a while. Tuppence Middleton was very convincing as Iris (I could totally feel her anguish & despair).

Always good to see Stephanie Cole on our screens too.

Gosh, my nerves are actually quite frayed!
  • Options
    gurney-sladegurney-slade Posts: 29,655
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If only her tumble down the mountain had been fatal. We would have been spared the following hour and a quarter of badly acted nonsense.

It was rather naughty of Film4 to show the 1979 film this afternoon but I recall that being just as bad. I wonder if they had a spoiler alert before it came on! :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    EssexLady wrote: »
    I enjoyed it and thought Tuppence Middleton played her part well. This version was based on the book, not on Hitchcock's film so of course there were differences. I have to admit I'm surprised by the number of negative comments on the forum - still, each to their own!

If I remember correctly, Hitchcocks version was with Margaret Rutherford. I think it was on the day after Boxing Day. It was enjoyable and rather light and fluffy but gripping nevertheless. Then a virtual remake with Angela Lansbury and Cybil Sheppard came along in 1979. This was a modern retelling of the Hitchcock version and not of the book. This new version, I believe, was the first time the actual book was told on screen and because I had only seen the two versions on screen and not read the book, I enjoyed it more for it. It was a good way to end a cold snowy day.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 58
    Forum Member
    Morgsie wrote: »
    Keeley Hawes looked stunning, I hope the BBC get her to do more period stuff

Yeah, no one quite does 'repressed englishwoman' like her. IMO a very limited actress.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If only her tumble down the mountain had been fatal. We would have been spared the following hour and a quarter of badly acted nonsense.

:D

I'll let you into a trade secret. If you want to be spared something you are not enjoying on TV, pick up the thing called a remote control. It has buttons on it. You press a few buttons and voila! You get a different programme on a different channel! It really is clever. Saves you having to watch an hour and a quarter of something you don't want to watch.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 87
    Forum Member
    wizzywick wrote: »
    I'll let you into a trade secret. If you want to be spared something you are not enjoying on TV, pick up the thing called a remote control. It has buttons on it. You press a few buttons and voila! You get a different programme on a different channel! It really is clever. Saves you having to watch an hour and a quarter of something you don't want to watch.

:D:D Well said!