• Evo102Evo102 Posts: 13,630
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Why do you need to know all this?

There's always one:rolleyes:
  • ÆnimaÆnima Posts: 38,548
    Forum Member
    sodavlac wrote: »
    About 41 mpg. I walk approximately 900 miles a year and drink around 22 gallons of booze.

I think I am less economical than you...

:D
  • ÆnimaÆnima Posts: 38,548
    Forum Member
    Evo102 wrote: »
    There's always one:rolleyes:

Was one earlier too. You'd think I was asking for their bank details :D
  • David (2)David (2) Posts: 20,632
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Even though my diesel polo is one of the more economical cars on here it too doesn't do so well in winter. I don't know what % the drop is but there is a drop. Running on a cold engine for longer is part the prob, but needing heaters, lights, etc also plays a part.

Where you drive and your speed is a Further factor. My little diesel engine with the standard gearbox is not at its most economic on the motorways even at 70mph. Top gear is not tall enough so the revs are quite high, using more fuel. The bluemotion polo has a modified gear ratio to improve this. My standard model is most economic at 55mph on long straight, flat A roads.

Even in this car there is one location (as you enter Westbury from the warminster direction) as you drop down the slope the needle always drops back a notch, but it hasn't moved for the last 5miles.

I know small engines don't like lugging round lots of weight, the economy on this diesel polo drops with 3 of us in it. I first noticed this when taking us to the pub some 5 miles away and thinking that needle is moving faster today compared with when its just me in the car. Recently had to fill it right up with stuff + 3 people and leaving home on cold engine the needle dropped back faster than I have ever seen it move before, over just 4miles. When I had my big petrol auto astra the economy was poor all the time but filling with stuff + 5 people didn't make it much worse (if at all). Had enough power I didn't have to change my driving style (u have to press a lot harder on the pedal in the polo when loaded up).
    To the jazz cvt driver, how does the jazz compare in that situation (also being 1.4).
  • swehsweh Posts: 13,665
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm gonna add useless information because I have an hour to kill, so I might as well.

It costs $400 TTD to full the tank from empty. That's about £40 for premium gas, I'm sure normal is even cheaper. Hurrah for countries with subsidies!

I had to google the miles per gallon thing. All I know is that once I touch the accelerator, my fuel gauge goes down. My car guzzles gas like a beast.
    According to some article it's "rated to get 19 miles per gallon in the city and 26 mpg on the highway" - I don't know wtf that means, but there ya go.

The other supplementary questions, Idfk.
  • AndrueAndrue Posts: 23,363
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    David (2) wrote: »
    To the jazz cvt driver, how does the jazz compare in that situation (also being 1.4).
    On the motorway it's fine. It has a very long ratio in auto mode. At 60 it's doing around 1800rpm. 70 is only 2500. But it is weight sensitive in stop/start traffic. I took my Dad up to Scotland earlier this month and mpg on the way up/down was fairly normal. But the mpg pottering around visiting places was quite poor - all the hills didn't help. One day I went out on my own and the reported MPG noticeably recovered.
  • Smiley433Smiley433 Posts: 7,894
    Forum Member
    Ænima wrote: »
    Those on the fly mpg calculators on cars are really funny. Put my foot down up a hill and I'm getting 5 mpg, ease off on a straight and it's straight to 99.9, cruise control on the motorway and it's 40 mpg+ :p They drive me a bit crazy seeing the numbers jumping around! That's why I tend to go on what I actually put in cost wise and the distance I travel on trip computer and figure out my mpg from that.

Yeah, the "range" readout on my Golf is great for that! I drive one mile to the petrol station and after filling the tank it reads about 530 mile range as it bases that on the fuel consumption driving the mile to the pumps.

I then drive 170 miles and when I get back the range is reading something like 620 miles!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Smiley433 wrote: »
    Yeah, the "range" readout on my Golf is great for that! I drive one mile to the petrol station and after filling the tank it reads about 530 mile range as it bases that on the fuel consumption driving the mile to the pumps.

I then drive 170 miles and when I get back the range is reading something like 620 miles!
    Yeah I don't rely on what my Jazz display says either. The mpg figure is pretty inaccurate. It's far better to work it out based on what the pump says. The distance figure seems to relate to the low fuel warning light. In itself rather daft because it comes on when I usually have 100 miles left :-/
  • burbsburbs Posts: 1,029
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    55 litre tank and if I get 11 miles to the gallon I get excited.
  • venusinflaresvenusinflares Posts: 4,194
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    We've got a Skoda Fabia Greenline I.

It costs about £50 to fill with diesel and does on average 60mpg.

VED is £20, insurance is about £300 - I'm the main driver and only have 1 years no claims discount.
  • marlmanmarlman Posts: 661
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ford Fiesta 1.6 Diesel
    56mpg
    £20 year tax Yes £20!
    Service & £100 to £150
    Insurance £310
    Garage £38 per month
    Breakdown Cover £100 per year

I only do about 4000 miles a year so it's not a good deal.

Just got my bus pass so seriously thinking of dumping the car and using my pass and buying more on line to be delivered.
  • TidoshoTidosho Posts: 3,727
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Company car so no idea what it costs to service or how much the annual RFL is.

Peugeot 308 Diesel SW. I reset the trip about every 2000 miles and it varies between 60 and 65mpg. Currently i've done about 1000 miles since the last reset and it's running at 61.3mpg.

Costs about £85 to fill up?
  • Richard46Richard46 Posts: 59,834
    Forum Member
    Andrue wrote: »
    Yeah I don't rely on what my Jazz display says either. The mpg figure is pretty inaccurate. It's far better to work it out based on what the pump says. The distance figure seems to relate to the low fuel warning light. In itself rather daft because it comes on when I usually have 100 miles left :-/

Computer read outs are only an indication. The accurate way of working out MPG is checking the mileage from one fill up to the brim to the next one and calculating that against the fuel needed to get it back to the brim.

My computer gives 50-55mpg but the reality is around 46mpg.
  • mackaramackara Posts: 4,063
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ænima wrote: »
    That's the 5 cylinder engine isn't it? Yet another car I fancied. I wanted a T5 S60 though, but figured it'd be a bit too expensive to run. The seats are sooooo comfortable in volvos.

Yes, it is the older 850 T5R wagon R:) good fun but hard on juice and front tyres. The older 2.3 litre 4 cylinder 940 turbo is a lot lower powered but is no easier on fuel.
  • openarmsopenarms Posts: 1,040
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    '99 MX5 35mpg

44 litre tank £58 to fill up

Tax £230 I think?

Service around £150 good tyres fairly cheap. Things have moved on since I bought, everybody on 20" rims while I''m on 15" !

When I was a young you used to be able to cruise around all day on a Sunday for a tenner.

How do youngsters afford to run a car these days?

I can still remember having to stop at services to inspect a new set of 185 tyres from a distance as they were that huge :D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,133
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I have just acquired a Fiat Punto . Checked the trip computer and is has averaged 47mpg which I am very pleased about .

Its a 1.2 16v Sporting nonetheless :D

Diacovered the tax disc will cost me £77 for six months which I can cope with :cool:
  • jobbie8jobbie8 Posts: 538
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I have a Nissan Qasqai ntec+ 1.5 diesel. A year old on the 29th.

£70 to fill up at Shell, usually get 49mpg going to work and riding round town.
    When I use Asda, I get 43-44mpg with the same journeys.
    I guess Shell is better quality?
  • HypnodiscHypnodisc Posts: 22,728
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Vauxhall Vectra 2.0 DTi - gets 50-60mpg if I'm lucky

Insurance - about £500 a year (although last year it was a bargain at only £400)

Tax - £170 a year

MOT - Normal price (£55?)

Servicing - DIY, cost of oil: £35, cost of filters: under £10

It seems like I have a comparatively easy time of it compared to some of the people posting here :eek:
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,095
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Diesel corsa 10 plate 62 mpg
  • TheWireRulesTheWireRules Posts: 1,307
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm amazed how cheap everybody's insurance is. I'm being quoted £800+ for a cheap small car group 3 and lower! Yes I'm a new driver but I'm 33! How do you get it down to £150-200 like everyone here seems to be paying? :eek:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm amazed how cheap everybody's insurance is. I'm being quoted £800+ for a cheap small car group 3 and lower! Yes I'm a new driver but I'm 33! How do you get it down to £150-200 like everyone here seems to be paying? :eek:
    By being 13 years older, perhaps. Also location has an impact (my car is kept garaged and I live in a low crime town). I also have full NCB. Actually my current insurer shows the full total rather than '5+' so my certificate says 25 years without a claim.

I was a bit concerned at one point that my history was being lost when a couple of insurers only showed '5+' but it appears it was just for display purposes. I love the fact I can prove 25 years without making a claim :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,068
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ford Focus 1.6 Diesel
    Avg. 65 MPG
    Full tank £62
    Tax: £20/year

No idea on insurance or servicing as it is a company car; which is just as well because I do about 30,000 miles a year!
  • David (2)David (2) Posts: 20,632
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

If your a new driver, insurance will b high regardless of age. Other things makes some difference as per the other post, but also things like what your job is etc (less secure lines of work likely to push the cost of insurance up-higher chance of bring made unemployed, which means no money, which means risk of not being able to pay).
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,848
    Forum Member
    Insurance about £200

Fuel consumption about 20 at under 70p a litre
  • bart4858bart4858 Posts: 11,436
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    How do you get it down to £150-200 like everyone here seems to be paying? :eek:

Mine was over £300 three or four years ago (this is with 30 years no-claims!). Then managed to get basic insurance for £250 via go-compare (maximum excess, no extras such as ncb protection, legal fees, etc. because my assumption is that I will never claim. And for most claims to my vehicle, it will usually not be worthwhile).

But a year or two later, the renewal was down to £210! (I think an SP60 expired, but that was the only change). Checking on go-compare, I was then quoted £190 from the same company, and another £10 off for being an existing customer! So £180 at present, with 70% ncb.

But as a new driver without enough years of no-claims, and still being fairly young, I doubt you're going to get insurance that low.