Should I get rid of my Freeview reciever in the New Year?

Comments

• kasgkasg Posts: 4,719
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    cooler wrote: »
    So if you owned no TVs and only listened to the radio, you'd spend nearly £200 a year on a tv licence. Crazy. Maybe your made of money.
    £145.50 is not "nearly £200". But I agree with the sentiment, the TV licence is required for watching live TV, anything else and you don't need one and most of us would not pay a tax we didn't need to voluntarily. I happen to have no problem with paying it as I think it represents excellent value for money.
  • roadshow2006roadshow2006 Posts: 1,768
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just for OP reference, Family Guy isn't on iPlayer, although I'm sure you could get a box set.
  • Funk YouFunk You Posts: 6,864
    Forum Member
    I can just about afford the TVL but it does take a chunk out of the money. I dont get all the weirdness with people watching delayed programmes on iPlayer if they dont want to watch it live and dont want to pay it then I dont blame them.

There is also other ways to watch TV online if you know where to look and you can stream it from your laptop to your TV. Simples!

I had the option of either having Sky or the internet.. I chose the internet, I stream the football to my telly free there is plenty of ways around things. The TVL is getting expensive as time goes on and I think it could get to the point where people dont watch anything live no more and the BBC would then have to make all content available as they would lose viewers.

If the powers that be put the prices up and people rebel they will have to back track at some point.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 167
    Forum Member
    There is no morality left. People will do any thing to watch Tv free. Remember it costs money to produce programmes. I think digitalspy should report you for breaking laws of the land when some one like me worked and paid taxes still pay by DD the licence fee. By the way Itv or ch4 and Ch5 are not free either. You pay when you shop via ad cost. If you can't aford TV don't watch it. Do not break law. The price of the licence fee goes up because of people like you..

If you feel offended please think of people living on very low pensions thanks to crooked politicians and bankers.
    Forum Member
    Hi

If it is legal to watch what you are watching I am fine my problem is that producer of that programme does not earn money and will go Bust. Then you will not even get that little bit. YouTube is a heaven for piraters.
  • SteveMcKSteveMcK Posts: 5,457
    Forum Member
    Funk You wrote: »
    There is also other ways to watch TV online if you know where to look and you can stream it from your laptop to your TV. Simples!.

So, you want something but don't want to pay for it, so you let other people pay to provide it, and you freeload off them.

Do you cheat on your taxes and steal benefits as well? :rolleyes:
  • td1983td1983 Posts: 2,679
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The moral outrage on this thread is bizarre (but very typical of the DS Forums!). Why should you care if someone uses a catchup service, LEGALLY, without paying for a TV licence? So some people do this without posessing a TV, so? Why have they GOT to pay for it just because most other people do? Fair play to 'em, I say! I have a licence as I prefer traditional broadcast TV as, I'm sure, most of you all do anyway, so the point is moot.
  • Gary_LandyFanGary_LandyFan Posts: 3,824
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just for OP reference, Family Guy isn't on iPlayer, although I'm sure you could get a box set.
    The Beeb don't have the rights to allow them to do this.
    They can't show the programmes on the online streams of the channels either (or that was the case last time I tried too).
  • Gary_LandyFanGary_LandyFan Posts: 3,824
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    td1983 wrote: »
    The moral outrage on this thread is bizarre (but very typical of the DS Forums!). Why should you care if someone uses a catchup service, LEGALLY, without paying for a TV licence? So some people do this without posessing a TV, so? Why have they GOT to pay for it just because most other people do? Fair play to 'em, I say! I have a licence as I prefer traditional broadcast TV as, I'm sure, most of you all do anyway, so the point is moot.
    It is because want to watch the programmes, but are not prepared to pay for them.
    Personally I have no problem with people that do this through not being able to afford the TV Licence, it is those that can afford to get one but choose not to and still watch the programming that I get annoyed at.
  • kasgkasg Posts: 4,719
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Personally I have no problem with people that do this through not being able to afford the TV Licence
    I think very few people who can afford to watch programmes by some means cannot afford a television licence, they just choose to spend their money on other things.
    Forum Member
    SteveMcK wrote: »
    So, you want something but don't want to pay for it, so you let other people pay to provide it, and you freeload off them.

Do you cheat on your taxes and steal benefits as well? :rolleyes:

If the price structures were fairer for everyone then there would be no such thing as streaming sites ;) Sky shoots itself in the foot. For all those out there that are willing to pay silly amounts for repeats and just the football then thats fine, but there will always be some who get in through the back door for free and can still experience the same thing but without paying the full price. Like a lot of things in this world, if things were fairer then other things wouldnt be in place to "steal" (as you put it) content.
  • TelevisionUserTelevisionUser Posts: 41,414
    Forum Member
    If the price structures were fairer for everyone then there would be no such thing as streaming sites ;) Sky shoots itself in the foot. For all those out there that are willing to pay silly amounts for repeats and just the football then thats fine, but there will always be some who get in through the back door for free and can still experience the same thing but without paying the full price. Like a lot of things in this world, if things were fairer then other things wouldnt be in place to "steal" (as you put it) content.

Sky insist that you buy an entertainment TV pack first before you can even purchase the sports pack and that puts the total price right up.

To their credit, BT allow their three sports channels to be sold separately on satellite without any bundling (£12 per month SD, £15 HD - whether they're actually worth that amount is a separate matter) and the legal precedent set by the court ruling in the Karen Murphy case now means that it is perfectly lawful for domestic viewers in their own homes to sign up to cheaper foreign satellite sports services.
  • Roland MouseRoland Mouse Posts: 9,531
    Forum Member
    TYCO wrote: »
    From what you listed you watch a lot of TV - about an hour a day. I don't think you should watch any more than that. I watch Dragon's Den and X Factor, then the Apprentice when it's on. Occasionally the news.

A lot of TV - an hour a day!

HAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

Rolls around in great pain.
    Forum Member
    Sky insist that you buy an entertainment TV pack first before you can even purchase the sports pack and that puts the total price right up.

To their credit, BT allow their three sports channels to be sold separately on satellite without any bundling (£12 per month SD, £15 HD - whether they're actually worth that amount is a separate matter) and the legal precedent set by the court ruling in the Karen Murphy case now means that it is perfectly lawful for domestic viewers in their own homes to sign up to cheaper foreign satellite sports services.

Which is why I dont squander my money on such shite service from Sky! :D on Sunday night I signed up to BT Sport for free online for the streaming as I have broadband with them so what I can do now is stream the football on my laptop, connect the HDMI cable to my new telly and voila... free football! sorted! :) my beloved United feature on there in the coming weekends which pleases me plus I get to watch Italian Serie A just like the good old days when Football Italia was on for FREE on Ch4 :)
  • MKS_56MKS_56 Posts: 40
    Forum Member
    Winston_1 wrote: »
    But at the end of the day the cost of a TV licence is relatively small compared with all the taxes we have to pay, so I wonder why it upsets so many people.

Totally agree. It works out at about 3 quid a week - pretty good value considering all the services the BBC provide.

If you pay by direct debit you hardly notice the money going out of your bank account.
  • EmoLDNEmoLDN Posts: 2
    Forum Member
    td1983 wrote: »
    The moral outrage on this thread is bizarre (but very typical of the DS Forums!)

I've noticed this for years on here, in fact, some members will behave as though someone legally is peering through your/their window and watching what you're doing, which again, is a very bizarre way of behaving/reacting. Some will even go as far as to behave as if there is a lynch mob just waiting to tear you/them apart for daring to commit such a life-depending 'wrong'. Heaven forbid you should curse out loud :rolleyes:
  • andyhurleyandyhurley Posts: 1,504
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The TVL is getting expensive as time goes on and I think it could get to the point where people dont watch anything live no more and the BBC would then have to make all content available as they would lose viewers.

If that happened the BBC (and Ch4 for that matter) would not be getting the funds to make the programmes so the number of viewers would be moot. In reality, if that became a serious risk and was not headed off in some way then the chances are the funds would be taken from general taxation instead so everyone would end up paying for it if they wanted it or not.
  • chrisjrchrisjr Posts: 33,282
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    andyhurley wrote: »
    If that happened the BBC (and Ch4 for that matter) would not be getting the funds to make the programmes so the number of viewers would be moot. In reality, if that became a serious risk and was not headed off in some way then the chances are the funds would be taken from general taxation instead so everyone would end up paying for it if they wanted it or not.
    Why C4? They are funded solely by advertising. Only the BBC and S4C out of all the UK broadcasters gets funding from the licence fee. So only they would be affected by any drop of in licence fee revenue.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7
    Forum Member
    Hi I am thinking about stop using free view because I a have just had a look at free set web site and they have a christmas radio channel but douse not. and I finding it not fare because free set and virgin media has a lot of good tv and radio channel. like god tv to and gold tv chennel and the now christmas gold radio chennel and one other chennel i wish free view offers the people that have free view. is sky sports and bt sports for free
  • AxGAxG Posts: 25,663
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Good luck with that.:s
  • KMKYWAPKMKYWAP Posts: 1,769
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Lulz.
  • copiermancopierman Posts: 342
    Forum Member
    Pull the plug on this revamp, it fails to work on iPads, can't get to 2nd pages of postings.
    The only good thing is you can't see the Ad's correctly
    Forum Member
    Hi
    Wait till heavy snow or rain. You will have no tv.?

Just an advise from an old experienced retired engineer. It is better to have some tv rather none
  • Nigel GoodwinNigel Goodwin Posts: 58,453
    Forum Member
    Kirit wrote: »
    Hi
    Wait till heavy snow or rain. You will have no tv.?

Just an advise from an old experienced retired engineer. It is better to have some tv rather none

Not at all true - a correctly installed dish will only have problems on a VERY few occasions per year - LESS than Freeview problems for most people.

Advise from an old experienced (still working) engineer :D

However,as there's no point whatsoever 'getting rid of' Freeview, then it's worth keeping as a backup. It's VERY, VERY unlikely that problems will occur to both at the same time.
  • Secret-SquirrelSecret-Squirrel Posts: 1,053
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    copierman wrote: »
    Pull the plug on this revamp, it fails to work on iPads, can't get to 2nd pages of postings.
    The only good thing is you can't see the Ad's correctly
    Pretty naff on my Nexus 7 Android tablet. The old theme worked fine.