Christopher Nolan to direct Interstellar

Comments

• Johnny ClayJohnny Clay Posts: 5,315
    Forum Member
    ^ Like Gravity, I imagine Interstellar will be drawing in the cash long after its release.

I think it's being handled very well - you can expect the publicity machine to really kick in about a month before. The only possible fly in the ointment is that it opens in the US on the same weekend as Disney's Big Hero 6.

Still, if it's as good as the early word suggests, it should cement itself as a must-see for the winter months.
  • Naa_KwaKaiNaa_KwaKai Posts: 1,883
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm OK with the lack of hype (at least comparably with previous Nolan films). TDKR was almost killed by its hype and IMO it's looked down upon because of its expectations. Having said that, this film will do well. It's an epic sci-fi film coming off of Gravity's box office success.

Grace Randolph reckons 'Gravity' will actually be its downfall: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gssBNSl2Dh0
  • necromancer20necromancer20 Posts: 2,548
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ^ Like Gravity, I imagine Interstellar will be drawing in the cash long after its release.

I think it's being handled very well - you can expect the publicity machine to really kick in about a month before. The only possible fly in the ointment is that it opens in the US on the same weekend as Disney's Big Hero 6.

Still, if it's as good as the early word suggests, it should cement itself as a must-see for the winter months.

Word of mouth will be key and if the first official reviews are positive, it'll be an easy hit. Sure it won't to Batman or even Inception numbers since Interstellar doesn't have an A lister like Leo leading the cast. But the premise and special effects should sell themselves.
    Naa_KwaKai wrote: »
    Grace Randolph reckons 'Gravity' will actually be its downfall: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gssBNSl2Dh0

She backtracked when she saw the most recent trailer.
    Forum Member
    Sure it won't to Batman or even Inception numbers since Interstellar doesn't have an A lister like Leo leading the cast. But the premise and special effects should sell themselves.
    If it's good I think this can do Inception numbers actually. And though he might not have Leo's pull (or does he now?), Matthew McConaughey's presence will draw a lot of attention.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    She backtracked when she saw the most recent trailer.

She didn't 'backtrack'. Grace reviews the trailer itself. So her review for a first trailer could be really negative then the second trailer could be significantly better and she gives it a more favourable vote. She still believes that Gravity has caused problems for Interstellar.
    Forum Member
    Boxoffice.com have issued their US forecast - $332m is a high one, but it does have many pros in its favour:

http://pro.boxoffice.com/featured_stories/2014-09-long-range-forecast-interstellar
  • MrSuperMrSuper Posts: 18,471
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Some early buzz:
    But here's some good news for everyone: INTERSTELLAR has screened for a handful of journalists and filmmakers, and the early response has been absolutely ecstatic. The word is that this is not only Nolan's masterpiece, but a watershed achievement in both form and content. So get more excited, if that's possible.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's been revealed that the running time for Interstellar is 2hrs 49minutes long incl. credits which makes it Nolan's longest film to date.

Also interesting is a recent tweet from Edgar Wright which alludes to having seen Interstellar:
    Just saw a forthcoming film. All I can say is that it exceeded my very high expectations & I can’t wait to see it on a huge screen again…

By huge screen he's very possibly referring to IMAX.

A tweet he posted back in July confirmed that Interstellar may very well be Nolan's best film to date.
    Have heard from two different people that ‘Interstellar’ is Chris Nolan’s best film. Bring on November. I want to see it in 65mm. Like, now.
  • roger_50roger_50 Posts: 6,895
    Forum Member
    Well, tbh some people who saw TDKR early tweeted the very same thing - and it turned out to be Nolan's worst film to date.

We shall see! It's better to be pessimistic, since it's a pleasant surprise if it turns out to be good. :)
  • tombigbeetombigbee Posts: 4,639
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My body is ready for this film.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If it's good I think this can do Inception numbers actually. And though he might not have Leo's pull (or does he now?), Matthew McConaughey's presence will draw a lot of attention.

Even post Dallas I don't think he attracts anywhere near as much attention as Leo. To be fair, hardly anyone else comes close to having Leo's star power. This movie is already being sold as a Christopher Nolan sc-fi film ('from the director of The Dark Knight Trilogy and Incepion'). He's a good actor though and he'll bring his own level of class to Interstellar but the marketing won't revolve around McConaughey. The premise itself sell itself.
    She didn't 'backtrack'. Grace reviews the trailer itself. So her review for a first trailer could be really negative then the second trailer could be significantly better and she gives it a more favourable vote. She still believes that Gravity has caused problems for Interstellar.

You're probably right, though I did remember her being more appreciative towards the movie with that second trailer.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Thanks for that. I'm so excited for this film I can't contain myself.
    roger_50 wrote: »
    Well, tbh some people who saw TDKR early tweeted the very same thing - and it turned out to be Nolan's worst film to date.

We shall see! It's better to be pessimistic, since it's a pleasant surprise if it turns out to be good. :)

I loved TDKR! My favourite movie going experience ever. I really don't understand the hate for this film. It's my second fave of the trilogy, BB being the first.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I loved TDKR! My favourite movie going experience ever. I really don't understand the hate for this film. It's my second fave of the trilogy, BB being the first.

Rises was excellent indeed. The funny thing is despite it being my favourite film of 2012, it's still my 'least' favourite of the trilogy.
  • TunnelVision9TunnelVision9 Posts: 589
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The trailer has certainly got me ready for this. Can't wait to watch it at Imax. So excited.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Just watched that final trailer for Interstellar, it's seriously got me excited now. Some of the imagery in that trailer is incredible! Wow.

Also a lot more Anne Hathaway, Michael Caine and Wes Bentley.
  • InspirationInspiration Posts: 62,694
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm avoiding the trailers now. I feel like they're revealing too much of the plot.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 540
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    When it was announced that only 50 IMAX screens worldwide would be getting a 70mm print of the film I was quite nervous what the UK would get (the UK only got 1 70mm print of Star Trek: Into Darkness). However it looks like London BFI, Manchester Printworks and Bradford Media Museum will all get a print. Extremely glad Manchester have got one, was actually thinking of going down to London to watch it!

http://www.imax.com/community/blog/advance-tickets-for-interstellar-on-sale-now/
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    When it was announced that only 50 IMAX screens worldwide would be getting a 70mm print of the film I was quite nervous what the UK would get (the UK only got 1 70mm print of Star Trek: Into Darkness). However it looks like London BFI, Manchester Printworks and Bradford Media Museum will all get a print. Extremely glad Manchester have got one, was actually thinking of going down to London to watch it!

http://www.imax.com/community/blog/advance-tickets-for-interstellar-on-sale-now/

I'm thinking of going down to London again (I did it for TDKR) since there's no long a 15/70mm IMAX cinema in Birmingham anymore.
  • stripedcatstripedcat Posts: 6,689
    Forum Member

Yeah - according to the Odeon website, it is going to be shown in full fat 15/70 mm IMAX film at the BFI IMAX and Manchester Printworks. It is also being shown in old fashioned 70 mm at the Odeon Leicester Square - which is interesting as I'm not sure how they'll adapt the IMAX filmed scenes to pure 70 mm - the rest I guess will be blown up. It's also interesting that it is getting released in old fashioned 35 mm film at some places as well. Nolan loves film.
  • Matt DMatt D Posts: 13,153
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    stripedcat wrote: »
    Yeah - according to the Odeon website, it is going to be shown in full fat 15/70 mm IMAX film at the BFI IMAX and Manchester Printworks. It is also being shown in old fashioned 70 mm at the Odeon Leicester Square - which is interesting as I'm not sure how they'll adapt the IMAX filmed scenes to pure 70 mm - the rest I guess will be blown up. It's also interesting that it is getting released in old fashioned 35 mm film at some places as well. Nolan loves film.

I've only been to the BFI IMAX once, for Gravity, and it was awesome :)

Really want to see Interstellar there, in "proper IMAX". Most decent seats for the opening weekend seem to have been snapped up already, though, so I think I'll wait until later in November before going to see it there - listings run up to Thursday 27 November.

As such, I've just booked a ticket for opening weekend at my local Cambridge Picturehouse... which apparently just so happens to be one of only five cinemas in the UK showing it on 35mm film :)
    Forum Member
    I'm avoiding the trailers now. I feel like they're revealing too much of the plot.
    I wouldn't be surprised if one last much more revealing trailer gets released just prior to its opening date. Going by the early script that's out there, the trailers still get barely halfway into the narrative.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Over an hour of Interstellar was shot on IMAX.

Christopher Nolan talking about what the IMAX footage does for the experience:
    ''This is the first film I have made where the actual experience of the film is paramount to the audience. You would think that’s the case with Batman movies but it’s not; they’re more dependent on the reaction of characters on screen. Interstellar is different. It harkens back to the direct experience films of 2001, where you’re not just experiencing it through the characters, you are lost in it''.

12A certificate also confirmed.

It's also started screening for select audiences and press, the reactions are very positive.

Tweet from director Brad Bird:
    Dazzled by the ambition & intelligence of Chris Nolan's INTERSTELLAR. Terrific performances, haunting imagery, WOW. See it in 70MM IMAX.
  • Ted CTed C Posts: 11,730
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Just booked my ticket for BFI IMAX for 9 Nov.

Could only get 4th row, a little near but that was about the best they had.

Saw Gravity there around this time last year, and it really is a stunning theatre in terms of presentation, both sound and picture. The only way to see an IMAX movie, as far as I am concerned.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There isn't a proper 70mm IMAX near me anymore, sad times. I did travel down to London to see The Dark Knight Rises in 2012 but that was in the summer when I had free time and with the added incentive of seeing the Olympics. There's only a Digital IMAX near me now.