she's like Lene Lovich with sixth form views :cool:

she is more likeable than the grotesque Gaga though :p
  • Options
    musicdudemusicdude Posts: 8,939
    Forum Member
    Pitman wrote: »
    she's like Lene Lovich with sixth form views :cool:

she is more likeable than the grotesque Gaga though :p

Grotesque must be the new sexy because as grotesque as you call her, she must be doing something right with 10 million copies of her album sold plus 35 million probs more of her singles sold.
  • Options
    PitmanPitman Posts: 28,495
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    musicdude wrote: »
    Grotesque must be the new sexy because as grotesque as you call her, she must be doing something right with 10 million copies of her album sold plus 35 million probs more of her singles sold.

all that proves is there are at least 10m muppets in this world :cool:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Not really. It's what people like and you should respect people's tastes. We will respect yours in return.
  • Options
    PitmanPitman Posts: 28,495
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    musicdude wrote: »
    Not really. It's what people like and you should respect people's tastes. We will respect yours in return.

respect what I don't like as well then :p

I also find Celine Dion grotesque and Gaga has a lot of catching up to do to sell as many as her :cool:

Village Green sold 100,000 worlwide on it's release, that's1% of Gaga, that puts sales in a quality context :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Got the album and loving

Not sure if anyone agrees but she reminds me of Lily Allen in terms of her lyrics. They are honest, opinionated and quirky.
  • Options
    teeswolfteeswolf Posts: 3,950
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Played this yesterday for the first time in a couple of weeks, and loved it even more than before.

I am not a Robot is the next single.

I would like to see Shampain and Oh No as future singles.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    teeswolf wrote: »
    Played this yesterday for the first time in a couple of weeks, and loved it even more than before.

I am not a Robot is the next single.

Same here. They would make ace singles.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,820
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I bought this last week and I love it. Especially I Am Not A Robot, Mowgli's Road, Hollywood, Numb, Shampain, Are You Satisfied and Obessions. I'm really glad Robot is the next single because I think it's my favourite track.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 288
    Forum Member
    Marina's album is 61 in the charts after 6 weeks. Her fellow countrywoman Duffy's Rockferry is 62, two years and two million plus UK sales after release. I find this a little sad, not because I dislike Duffy - far from it - but because Marina's album hasn't done so well.

Why is this? Robot and Mowgli seem to have been around on youtube and elsewhere for ages ..... couldn't they have kept their powder dry so to speak. Is this a case of tracks being available and over-played long before the album came out? If so it's a hell of a pity.
  • Options
    union_jakunion_jak Posts: 4,835
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's underexposure really. Sure, people have mentioned her as one of "The Big Things for 2010", but it's not like radio stations or music channels are bothering with giving her much airtime. In this instance it was youtube I have to thank for introducing me to Marina and her music, but not everyone else discovers new acts in this way.

People can't label her the "next Kate Bush" or "better than Ellie Golding" and expect great things unless they give her music a chance at the same time, and I've only heard 'Hollywood' twice on Radio One.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It was the NME and the NME music channel that introduced me to Marina and the Diamonds. I don't think that's quite as mainstream as Duffy, you can't really compare the two acts.

Acts like Marina tend to sell more albums as other singles are released, and if they perform at the festivals.

I hope they will be on the next series of Later with Jools too, whenever that is.

I expect the album to go back up the charts again sometime, it deserves it.
  • Options
    performingmonkperformingmonk Posts: 20,086
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Shampain is blatantly the song that will make this album big. It's just a case of when/how to release it. I Am Not A Robot is brilliant too, though surely everyone's familiar with it by now so is it single-worthy anymore?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,027
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I bought this album when it was first released and absolutely love it.
    The lyrics are blatantly brilliant in every song and I love all of them
    Mowglis road and Obsessions are higher in my fave list :D
  • Options
    kutoxkutox Posts: 16,368
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I've heard that Shampain is the next single after I Am Not A Robot (released 28th June, to be precise) - although that's subject to change of course. And I agree that Oh No! is just crying out to be released. I wouldn't mind seeing Mowgli's Road re-released as well.

But it's such an amazing album, easily my favourite of the year, and there are so many potential singles.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 482
    Forum Member
    Bought this a while ago and love it. No bad songs on the album - but some I like more than others. But my favourites seem to be the older ones, even though I've not been listening to them as much as other people.

Hollywood
    I Am Not A Robot
    Obsessions
    Are You Satisfied?

Though I certainly prefer the single version of "Hollywood", to the album version. And now I've a massive Marina fan.
  • Options
    NeomysterioNeomysterio Posts: 13,450
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    :(Hollywood is truly awful song!
  • Options
    asp746asp746 Posts: 7,286
    Forum Member
    i quite like hollywood, its on our radio station in work quite a lot and its got a good rhythm to it. i can't see any of the other stuff setting the charts on fire - they're good songs but not the usual rnb or diva sounding stuff but time will tell.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,481
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Pitman wrote: »
    all that proves is there are at least 10m muppets in this world :cool:

Always sad when someone sees themselves as somehow 'higher' or more 'intelligent' than everyone else due to music tastes. Get over yourself. :rolleyes:

This album is ok, haven't entirely made up my mind yet about her. Mowgli's Road and Oh No are good songs though.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,016
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I downloaded the album this weekend after giving it several listens on Amazon. I must say I'm pleasantly surprised by the quality of it, its like a mix up of Kate Nash and Florence & The Machine. There's some strong lyrics mixed with some crazy tunes.

My favourites:

Shampain, I am not a robot, Girls, Mowgli's road, Oh No! (Hopefully a single) and Numb.

Just to add, I am not a robot is not the "next" single, its actually a re-release of the single. I'm not sure if shes recorded a new video for it or if shes using the original video.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Either way, it is the next single regardless if it's a re-release or not.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 954
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I hope they will be on the next series of Later with Jools too, whenever that is.

She's on the first episode which starts on the 13th Arpril! She'll be performing alongside Paul Weller and Hot Chip!
  • Options
    kutoxkutox Posts: 16,368
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    James__B wrote: »
    Just to add, I am not a robot is not the "next" single, its actually a re-release of the single. I'm not sure if shes recorded a new video for it or if shes using the original video.

Yeah it was released with a video last year as part of The Crown Jewels EP, so I was a bit miffed when she said she was re-releasing it, considering how many great new songs there are on the album. Still, hope it does well.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    RaiseItUp wrote: »
    She's on the first episode which starts on the 13th Arpril! She'll be performing alongside Paul Weller and Hot Chip!

Thanks for the info RaiseItUp, sounds like a 'later with jools' not to be missed!!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They performed I Am Not a Robot on last nights Later.

Any guesses what else they will perform on Friday's extended show?

Hopefully Shampain!!