Options

Alpro milk

mrsdaisychainmrsdaisychain Posts: 3,438
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Anyone tasted Alpro milk?
I was just wondering if it was ok for cereal and a splash in your tea. What does it taste like, is it just a normal milky taste?
If I have too much dairy, it effects my stomach so I wanted to change to Alpro or similar.
Thanks.

Comments

• Options
    stud u likestud u like Posts: 42,100
    Forum Member
    I got some Alpro Almond milk the other day and it tasted like a bowl of muesli. I wasn't impressed with it.
  • Options
    molliepopsmolliepops Posts: 26,828
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Those nut milks are a bit odd aren't they, I thought at first I liked them but they are very hard to use for anything but straight drinking. Also they are not so nice after the first few sips I found. Strange.

I found rice milk nicest in coffee and tea etc.
  • Options
    Sue_CSue_C Posts: 1,470
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have the original soya Alpro on cereal and think it's very nice, quite creamy and sweeter than milk. I've tried it in tea & coffee and much prefer milk!
  • Options
    jazzyjazzyjazzyjazzy Posts: 4,865
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I use soya milk all the time but like So Good but it is a matter of taste. Also I like Asda own brand sugar free soya milk. Don't drink tea or coffee so don't know what it is like it them but do like it on cereal.
    These are certainly nice - http://www.alpro.com/uk/dessert?gclid=CJb4is_gybUCFW5V4god7AcAYA
    These are soya desserts and moorish - they are not in the fridge but usually on the "free from" (or similar name) shelf. But Alpro soya yoghurts are in the fridge - IMO they are quite expensive.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thank you all for your replies.
    I am a bit torn if I should buy some and try it.
    I think I may have an intolerence to dairy. Not an allergy, just a bit irritaing for my stomach.
    Interesting about the rice milk, that is where I miss the milk the most.
  • Options
    Syntax ErrorSyntax Error Posts: 27,804
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Anyone tasted Alpro milk?
    I was just wondering if it was ok for cereal and a splash in your tea. What does it taste like, is it just a normal milky taste?
    If I have too much dairy, it effects my stomach so I wanted to change to Alpro or similar.
    Thanks.

This thread is ironic as I have switched to Alpro in the last 3 weeks.

It does have a slightly different taste; almost akin to dairy UHT milk, but it is OK.

I have got used to it & I shan't be returning to dairy milk.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 767
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If you are lactose intolerant, like me, then try Lactofree milk.

It tastes exactly as you would expect and is great.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    gizzy77 wrote: »
    If you are lactose intolerant, like me, then try Lactofree milk.

It tastes exactly as you would expect and is great.
    Is that Alpro or something else gizzy?
    Not been tested for lactose but each time I have large amounts of milk, bedtime hot choc, porrige made with milk etc, it kicks me off.
    Just gone on to multiobionta vitamins with probiotics for my ibs. Only been taking them for a week and the change is amazing, it's almost cleared my symptoms, I'm thrilled.
  • Options
    Roni_JRoni_J Posts: 925
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    mrsdaisychain I have the same problem with milk as you, I'm probably not going to be much help as I tried several but never found one I was really happy with. I would still recommend you try them though my reactions maybe different to yours.

Soya upset me even more than cow's milk I couldn't even keep it down, Lactofree didn't seem to make any difference, nut milks I found rather odd tasting. Rice milk was the best alternative for me but a little sweet for my taste.

Can you eat yoghurt? I find this doesn't upset me at all I can happy eat a pint pot with no ill effect. I have normal on muesli and the pouring yoghurt for other cereals. I find porridge is fine made with just water I don't miss the milk.

I switched to black coffee which I actually enjoy a lot more, I don't drink tea it doesn't agree with me. I use dried skimmed milk powder if I need milk for cooking. I find if I make it up with less powder than recommended it's fine in cooking.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Roni_J wrote: »
    mrsdaisychain I have the same problem with milk as you, I'm probably not going to be much help as I tried several but never found one I was really happy with. I would still recommend you try them though my reactions maybe different to yours.

Soya upset me even more than cow's milk I couldn't even keep it down, Lactofree didn't seem to make any difference, nut milks I found rather odd tasting. Rice milk was the best alternative for me but a little sweet for my taste.

Can you eat yoghurt? I find this doesn't upset me at all I can happy eat a pint pot with no ill effect. I have normal on muesli and the pouring yoghurt for other cereals. I find porridge is fine made with just water I don't miss the milk.

I switched to black coffee which I actually enjoy a lot more, I don't drink tea it doesn't agree with me. I use dried skimmed milk powder if I need milk for cooking. I find if I make it up with less powder than recommended it's fine in cooking.

Thanks a lot for the information Roni, I have been getting away with a tea spoon of milk in my tea and doing my porridge with mostly water, the same for my bedtime drink but I am not enjoying it as much.
    I may try and buy a few smaller various brands tomorrow as long as they have good dates on. I have activia yogurts and have no problem with that.
    I already eat a bit of soya products, love the quorn mince for spag bol, more so now with all this scare over the meat.
    Good tip about the dried milk too as we have a stock of that for emergencies.
    Thanks again.
  • Options
    c00kiemonster72c00kiemonster72 Posts: 2,363
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Alpro sugar free soya milk is delicious, I was rather surprised how nice it was when I first tried it and have converted over to it totally now away from cows milk.

I've tried the sweetened stuff, but I'm not as keen on that, but the taste does remind me of melted vanilla ice cream.

Rice was suggested to me, but this I definitely wasn't keen on as it was like sweet white water, and this was the unsweetened version, was far too sweet for me.

I've not tried the almond or hazelnut milks.
  • Options
    edExedEx Posts: 13,460
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I drink it all the time, and have it on my morning cereal. As soya milks go it's one of the better brands.

Give it a go. If you don't like it you can always go back to ordinary milk.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Roni_J wrote: »
    mrsdaisychain

I have Crohns/IBS and can eat yoghurt without problems and was told that the lactose and proteins that cause stomach problems are broken down during the production but drinking a glass of milk will give me bloating, gas and painful cramps but I can eat yogurt and small amounts of cheese without a problem. (30gms is my limit - about a matchbox size)
    Checked it out on the net and this is so.
  • Options
    TelevisionUserTelevisionUser Posts: 41,417
    Forum Member
    There are also various brands of oat milk to try out as well which is probably the least worst option. I would have thought that with modern food technology that it would be possible to come up with something that at least vaguely resembles conventional milk.
  • Options
    burton07burton07 Posts: 10,871
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I switched to soya milk years ago. The reason I did was because I don't think human adults should drink something that is designed by nature for a growing bovine.

I use it on my muesli and porridge. I used to use Alpro but now I use Tesco own brand from the grocery aisle which is a lot cheaper.
  • Options
    andersonsonsonandersonsonson Posts: 6,454
    Forum Member
    burton07 wrote: »
    I switched to soya milk years ago. The reason I did was because I don't think human adults should drink something that is designed by nature for a growing bovine.

I use it on my muesli and porridge. I used to use Alpro but now I use Tesco own brand from the grocery aisle which is a lot cheaper.

soya milk causes baldness and upsets hormones you know
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My son has been drinking soya milk for maybe 20yrs and has very long hair !!!!!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,405
    Forum Member
    My mother and grandmother will only drink soya milk. I've never liked it. It tastes very chalky to me and when added to tea it makes it taste watery.
  • Options
    Kevin1960Kevin1960 Posts: 5,606
    Forum Member
    Is that Alpro or something else gizzy?
    Not been tested for lactose but each time I have large amounts of milk, bedtime hot choc, porrige made with milk etc, it kicks me off.
    Just gone on to multiobionta vitamins with probiotics for my ibs. Only been taking them for a week and the change is amazing, it's almost cleared my symptoms, I'm thrilled.

Lactofree is cow's milk that's had the lactose removed. Tesco sell it.
  • Options
    Kevin1960Kevin1960 Posts: 5,606
    Forum Member
    The soya milks all taste slightly different. My favourites are the sweetened Sainsburys Love Soya, Tesco Free From and the organic version of Alpro.
  • Options
    *Sparkle**Sparkle* Posts: 10,957
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I drink mainly soya milk these days as I don't get on well with too much dairy. When I first tried soya, I didn't like it - too chalky, so ended up using rice milk, but for some reason I tried soya again and realised I preferred it. It also has calcium in it - unlike rice milk, so that's a bonus. I don't take milk in tea or coffee, and I stopped drinking it straight years ago, so it's mainly used on cereal or in porridge. I buy the unsweetened stuff, normally a shop's own brand, but not generally the value version.

I did think about trying the lacto-free milk, but don't see the point as the soya milk last longer in the cupboard and depending on the brand, is cheaper.

I'm fine with yoghurt and normally only eat mature cheese, which I seem OK with (within reason), so I don't have a severe problem. I just find it an easy way to keep my overall dairy intake down.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,639
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I like unsweetened almond milk with cereal but I haven't found a nice milk to have with tea. Have you tried the milk that has the lactose taken out? I forget what it's called but the supermarkets sell it.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,346
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I use soya in tea and almond milk in cereal.
  • Options
    21stCenturyBoy21stCenturyBoy Posts: 44,506
    Forum Member
    Alpro Chocolate Milk is the only thing I can consume in the morning- it's brilliant.

The normal milk is okay for tea, but I wouldn't recommend it on cereal or coffee.
  • Options
    MoggioMoggio Posts: 4,289
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I prefer oat milk, especially on cereal.

Soy milk varies a lot between brands though, so try a few out to see which one you prefer.