What is your first memory of TV soaps?

enudzioenudzio Posts: 2,932
Forum Member
✭✭✭
mine was a storyline with Sarah and Aiden in Corrie about 10/11 years ago.

Comments

• Masher29Masher29 Posts: 290
    Forum Member
    For CS, Mine was Richard Hillman killing Maxine. Hooked ever since.

For EE, it was Yusef dying in the fire.
  • KaylaLKaylaL Posts: 1,627
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I remember Crossroads with its wobbly walls. Sandy in a wheelchair and Miss Diane and Benny with his green hat. Meg Richardson always knew what to do and seemed to a very young me like an Einstein!

Gosh I feel old! I remember watching the first Coronation Street, with Florrie Lindley having just bought the corner shop. She walked in and just took over..swapped places with the person behind the counter.
    And Ena Sharples I think came in and bought some bread.
  • mysty211mysty211 Posts: 4,935
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I vaguely remember something in Eastenders with Steve Owen and Phil Mitchell at the club I think ..
  • ONeillDigSpyONeillDigSpy Posts: 435
    Forum Member
    EastEnders - either new years eve 1998 or february 1999 when steve hit saskia with the ash tray.

Home & Away - a 1999 episode, a girl was babysitting a baby and the baby fell from the sofa or something
  • Stupid_HeadStupid_Head Posts: 37,826
    Forum Member
    Sharongate.
  • unclekevounclekevo Posts: 20,749
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Eastenders - My earliest memory is Jamie getting knocked down.

Coronation Street - Something to do with Ken Barlow and Mike, can't remember anything else

Hollyoaks - Chloe, the fat girl getting arrested on her wedding day (?)
  • kitkat1971kitkat1971 Posts: 39,249
    Forum Member
    The very first episode of Dallas - that title music and Bobby and Pam driving up the motorway with those shots of Dallas behind. I was about 7 or 8.

I then watched all the US soaps, Knots Landing and Dynasty. British ones I got into about 83 - Brookside from about 6 months in so early Summer 83, the Mike Baldwin / Deardre Barlwo affair in Corrie which was early 83, Crossroads about the same time then EastEnders from the first episode in Feb 85.
  • QueenAmyQueenAmy Posts: 3,094
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    EastEnders - Tiffany getting ran over
  • TheGraduate2012TheGraduate2012 Posts: 14,822
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    QueenAmy wrote: »
    EastEnders - Tiffany getting ran over
    EastEnders - either new years eve 1998 or february 1999 when steve hit saskia with the ash tray.
    Masher29 wrote: »
    For CS, Mine was Richard Hillman killing Maxine. Hooked ever since.

These! I can remember pretty far back on EE. I can narrow my memories to late 1998 because I can't remember Ricky and Bianca's early relationship (engagement, abortion) but can remember Bianca leaving in 1999. I also remember Tiffany's death being my first 'woah' moment for a soap. And then Saskia's murder.

Corrie is harder for me, it's kind of been that 'just on' soap for me but Richard Hillman sticks out in my head.

Hollyoaks and Brookside I can identify a lot earlier, they were more popular in our house.

Hollyoaks: Can always remember Tony and the miserable Mandy.
    Brookside: remember the Corkhills, especially Jimmy's breakdown and Lyndsey's rape. Then Tinhead and Emily (Jennifer Ellison) as a teenage couple. Then Max and Susannah, I think one of their kids died in a car crash, then she had an affair with the man who was married to Bernie Nolan, and there was a big explosion on 'the Millennium Club', then Max accidentally pushed her down the stairs :D

Most memorable though is Anthony killing his bully, Imelda then finally, the houses being invaded by a gang, then there was a helicopter crash. It kind of lost the plot towards the end.

I guess I really starting absorbing soaps between the ages of 7-12 then.
  • FM LoverFM Lover Posts: 50,780
    Forum Member
    Crossroads. Meg and Hugh's wedding with Larry Grayson driving the Rolls Royce.

Due to timing, Crossroads was on at 6.30pm it was always on whist we were having our tea, after that it would be out with my mates till about 9pm so didnt catch Corrie much back in the 70's
  • TheGraduate2012TheGraduate2012 Posts: 14,822
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    FM Lover wrote: »
    Crossroads. Meg and Hugh's wedding with Larry Grayson driving the Rolls Royce.

Due to timing, Crossroads was on at 6.30pm it was always on whist we were having our tea, after that it would be out with my mates till about 9pm so didnt catch Corrie much back in the 70's

I remember it being considered a treat for me and my sister if our mum let us stay up to watch the Brookside 8.30pm episodes! :D
  • MrMarpleMrMarple Posts: 3,434
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mine is for Corrie.
    I vaguely remember the 'Ken, Deirdre, Mike' love triangle in the early 80's, but as I was only 5 or 6 at the time I didn't really take much notice.
    I started watching properly in the late 80's and the Alan Bradley storyline was the one that got me hooked.
    Not just him getting killed by the tram, but the whole lead up to it.
  • SJ_MentalSJ_Mental Posts: 16,138
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Emmerdale being on at lunchtime and mostly being about annie making tea.
  • Dan_1983Dan_1983 Posts: 503
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    EastEnders - When the Mitchells first arrived.
  • mac2708mac2708 Posts: 3,349
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm old enough to remember The Grove Family
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Grove_Family

The first episode was more like an extended PSB (Public Service Broadcast) than a soap
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HzL84mDUWKk
  • CamzarellaCamzarella Posts: 331
    Forum Member
    When Tiffany was pregnant with Courtney in EE but didn't know who the father was and that cow Lorraine was after Grant. I vaguely remember Ricky and Natalie having an affair and Bianca catching them.

In Brookside I remember Mandy Jordache storyline.
  • piimapoikapiimapoika Posts: 285
    Forum Member
    Emergency Ward 10. I remember a scene when someone was pouring some condensed milk out of a tin for the cat. The camera slipped to reveal there was no cat, and no saucer either.
  • SalbatesSalbates Posts: 2,259
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have vague memories of Dallas, Dynasty, Coronation Street and Eastenders from around the early eighties. It is the first episode of Home and Away that I can clearly remember, the Fletchers moving in and little Sally meeting Alf. :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,040
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The episode of Corrie where Fred Gee, Betty and Bet go for a day out and the car ends up in a lake. From 1983, apparently, so I would have been 7 at the time.
  • EmrysEmrys Posts: 249
    Forum Member
    I remember playing in the lounge while my parents watched Corrie and them turning it off at the end and my Dad laughing and saying "Poor Jack". Must have been early 90's.
  • biscuitfactorybiscuitfactory Posts: 29,392
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Harry Hewitt getting crushed under Len Fairclough's van when the jack collapsed.( Coronation St )
    That was during the Elsie and Steve Tanner wedding episode, September 1967, and I was nearly 3.
  • gboygboy Posts: 4,989
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I can remember Hilda Ogden dressed as Charlie Chaplin at a party in the original factory in 1975. But I didn't fully get into soaps until the 1980s and EastEnders.
  • Rowan HedgeRowan Hedge Posts: 3,861
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    enudzio wrote: »
    mine was a storyline with Sarah and Aiden in Corrie about 10/11 years ago.

Factory fire in Corrie back in the seventies
  • iMatt_101iMatt_101 Posts: 7,081
    Forum Member
    For EE it was scenes in 2006 with Ruby/Stacey/Sean.

For HO it was Lydia and Sarah kissing at some church in 2009?

Corrie it was the episodes where Tracy was being sent to prison for murdering Charlie in 2007.

Emmerdale I remember I was watching the very end of one episode in about 2008-2009 waiting for Corrie to start and I remember thinking one man at the pub looked exactly like Jason from Corrie.
  • guestofsethguestofseth Posts: 5,303
    Forum Member
    Eastenders - Mel and Ian's wedding, or more specifically Mel walking down Bridge Street after ending it. (I think I started watching earlier than that but that's my first solid memory of it.)

Emmerdale - Butch dying.

Coronation Street - This one I'm less sure of, I think it might be Gaynor Faye's character dying, but I definitely remember Alma's death the following year.