Options

The Need to change clocks back and fourth

brain_higgybrain_higgy Posts: 500
Forum Member
✭✭
This weekend the clocks go forward for BST so end of winter and hello spring and maybe summer but why do we do this every yr

also do we need to change clocks every yr i mean really what the use or point cant we stick to one time change also other countries in the east dont do it only the western world

Comments

• Options
    Hugh JboobsHugh Jboobs Posts: 15,316
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think you're the first person to ever raise this issue on this forum.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 9,720
    Forum Member
    I change my clocks back and forth, I change my clocks back and forth.
  • Options
    ShrikeShrike Posts: 16,609
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Because its nice to have long, light evenings in Summer, but if we didn't change back in the Autumn, we'd have not nice long dark mornings in the Winter.
    Some Asian countries do use daylight saving eg Turkey but many don't, probably as the nearer the equator you are, the less difference there is in Summer and Winter daylight.
  • Options
    TeddybleadsTeddybleads Posts: 6,814
    Forum Member
    Isn't it for farmers? I thought we did it so the farmers didn't have to work so long in the dark.
  • Options
    d'@ved'@ve Posts: 45,531
    Forum Member
    Shrike wrote: »
    Because its nice to have long, light evenings in Summer, but if we didn't change back in the Autumn, we'd have not nice long dark mornings in the Winter.
    Some Asian countries do use daylight saving eg Turkey but many don't, probably as the nearer the equator you are, the less difference there is in Summer and Winter daylight.
    But it doesn't save any daylight at all, it just shuffles it from one end of the day to the other.

It's pointless and arbitrary, and is entirely down to personal preference and circumstances which end of the day you prefer your limited Winter daylight to be. Changing the clocks is an anachronism long overdue for abolition but I don't really care what they do beyond keeping it the same all year round. BST 24/7/365 would be fine with me.
  • Options
    gasheadgashead Posts: 13,822
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Meilie wrote: »
    Aaarghh, earworms, earworms !! :o
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    d'@ve wrote: »
    But it doesn't save any daylight at all, it just shuffles it from one end of the day to the other.

It's pointless and arbitrary, and is entirely down to personal preference and circumstances which end of the day you prefer your limited Winter daylight to be. It's an anachronism long overdue for abolition!

I must admit when typing that I thought what a silly term "Daylight Saving" is :D

I wouldn't say its anachronistic though - many, if not most, of us don't get to choose our working hours so a nationwide change is still needed.
  • Options
    d'@ved'@ve Posts: 45,531
    Forum Member
    I must admit when typing that I thought what a silly term "Daylight Saving" is :D

I wouldn't say its anachronistic though - many, if not most, of us don't get to choose our working hours so a nationwide change is still needed.

What I meant is that the clock changing was originally to help farmers wasn't it? In this day and age that's no longer necessary so we are left with personal preference and the population will never agree.

So Government should pick an adjustment based on some statistic or other and stick to that all year round. BST would do me fine.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    d'@ve wrote: »
    What I meant is that the clock changing was originally to help farmers wasn't it? In this day and age that's no longer necessary so we are left with personal preference and the population will never agree.

So Government should pick an adjustment based on some statistic or other and stick to that all year round. BST would do me fine.

BST would suit most of us. But our friends in the North get upset at the idea of dawn at 10am;-) The problem is that not only is Scotland north, its also a fair way west so dispreportionatly affected by year round BST.
    Still, if that nice Alex Salmond gets his way...
  • Options
    rbdcayrbdcay Posts: 12,041
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Back and fourth? So we are turning our clocks to the fourth number forward...I am mightily confused.
  • Options
    venusinflaresvenusinflares Posts: 4,194
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    BST all year round wouldn't suit us in the north of England. It would still be dark at 9am in the winter. I don't think it would be good for those in the west either so that just leaves the south east who it would suit. There's a surprise.
  • Options
    irishfeenirishfeen Posts: 10,025
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Its for farmers and children going to school - if the clocks were left alone it would be about 09.30am before significant sunlight in the heart of winter... its fine the way it is really.
  • Options
    emptyboxemptybox Posts: 13,917
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    BST would suit most of us. But our friends in the North get upset at the idea of dawn at 10am;-) The problem is that not only is Scotland north, its also a fair way west so dispreportionatly affected by year round BST.

There are no proposals to do away with the clocks changing though.
    There's a proposal to move to BST in the winter and BST+1 in the summer.
    But that involves just as much clock changing as now.
  • Options
    SpotSpot Posts: 25,126
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    BST all year round wouldn't suit us in the north of England. It would still be dark at 9am in the winter. I don't think it would be good for those in the west either so that just leaves the south east who it would suit. There's a surprise.

There are many people in the south east who don't want to see any change either.
  • Options
    0...00...0 Posts: 21,111
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Meilie wrote: »

:D Haha
  • Options
    skp20040skp20040 Posts: 66,874
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    This weekend the clocks go forward for BST so end of winter and hello spring and maybe summer but why do we do this every yr

also do we need to change clocks every yr i mean really what the use or point cant we stick to one time change also other countries in the east dont do it only the western world

We experimented with this before and it ended early as it was a failure and deeply unpopular, I recall going to nursery school in the dark and it wasn't nice, it feels more natural to be going home at dusk in the winter than to school in the dark

Many who want the change just want us to be inline with many countries in Europe which is not a natural time zone for us at all, and those who say it will increase tourism I feel are really clutching at straws , I work in the tourism industry and any such change would have no affect at all, tourists get on and do their thing anyway so the change of time wouldn't bother them, they don't all rush back to their hotel rooms the minute it gets dark.

I say leave it as it is, there are plenty of other things need dealing with so lets leave time alone.
  • Options
    cnbcwatchercnbcwatcher Posts: 56,681
    Forum Member

Well if Scotland becomes independent maybe they can have their own time zone. Would that work?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    emptybox wrote: »
    There are no proposals to do away with the clocks changing though.
    There's a proposal to move to BST in the winter and BST+1 in the summer.
    But that involves just as much clock changing as now.

That would be awful. The sun wouldn't rise until well after 9am in winter and it would still be daylight at 11pm in June, and for those further north than here it would be even worse.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That would be awful. The sun wouldn't rise until well after 9am in winter and it would still be daylight at 11pm in June, and for those further north than here it would be even worse.

..and not only would it be dark at 9 a.m. (or later) in mid-winter, this would also be the case in October, just before we put the clocks back. Sunrise in the UK would move beyond 7 a.m. in the second half of August, meaning it would still be dark at 7 a.m. by mid-September.

Let's make sure this never happens.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Spot wrote: »
    ..and not only would it be dark at 9 a.m. (or later) in mid-winter, this would also be the case in October, just before we put the clocks back. Sunrise in the UK would move beyond 7 a.m. in the second half of August, meaning it would still be dark at 7 a.m. by mid-September.

Let's make sure this never happens.

It would be of no benefit to anyone apart from those who seem to think we should be on CET 'for business reasons'. If they all got to work an hour earlier then that is their problem solved without upsetting the rest of us.
  • Options
    JB3JB3 Posts: 9,308
    Forum Member
    I don't mind going forth, but I resent going back.Edit: I meant the other way about.
  • Options
    JB3JB3 Posts: 9,308
    Forum Member
    Well, that was a mess.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    deleted
  • Options
    shackfanshackfan Posts: 15,461
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I feel for the op. I mean, twice a year he has to change a few knobs or buttons, which must take at least a couple of minutes.
  • Options
    skp20040skp20040 Posts: 66,874
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It would be of no benefit to anyone apart from those who seem to think we should be on CET 'for business reasons'. If they all got to work an hour earlier then that is their problem solved without upsetting the rest of us.

Which is ridiculous, would they say the same if it was the USA who we did most business with