Forum Member
✭✭✭

Comments

• Options
    saladfingers81saladfingers81 Posts: 11,301
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sack him now!

and oh wait a second...is that Matt Smith beating David Tennant? I demand a recount!

The outrage!
  • Options
    JCRJCR Posts: 24,076
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Rings of Akhaten should be nowhere near the bottom 10.

I suppose the number 1 isn't really a surprise, but it's not better than any of the original series stories in the top 10. Next time they do the poll it won't be top 10.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,244
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The_Judge_ wrote: »

Sarcasm aside, it's actually quite interesting going into those results a bit deeper.

A lot of Moffat, yes, Moffat's got three stories on the list, but his era is only represented once among the top ten. Meanwhile, Russell T Davies has no (credited!) stories on the list, but his era constitutes a full third of the winners.

A full-on geeky analysis would only be possible with the full results tomorrow, but on the strength of the (very limited!) available data, you could surmise that Moffat wrote the more beloved stories, while RTD ran the tighter ship. Massive oversimplification, and the DWM readers aren't a yardstick, they only measure a certain type of success. But it's interesting!
  • Options
    TEDRTEDR Posts: 3,413
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    JCR wrote: »

I disagree. But I also think Pertwee should be nowhere near the top 11 Doctors. So I guess we all think differently?
  • Options
    tiggerpoohtiggerpooh Posts: 4,182
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I couldn't belueve my eyes, when I noticed that Matt Smith's Doctor was above David Tennant in the list. :o David should have been in second place.

I am so, so glad though, to see Tom come out on top! He is my all-time favourite Doctor. :D

I shall watch this now, in celebration:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zZoORhV2oLU

It's Tom on This Is Your Life, broadcast on BBC1 in 2000.

This is a great tribute to the Fourth Doctor, that I've just found:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_XWkA0243C4

I reccomend every Fourth Doctor fan watch the two links. You will NOT be dissapointed. I certainly wasn't. :D
  • Options
    CoalHillJanitorCoalHillJanitor Posts: 15,634
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Agreed. I don't get all the hate for that one, or The Beast Below for that matter. They were imaginative, fun and not boring. The worst offence in entertainment is to be boring.
  • Options
    bennythedipbennythedip Posts: 2,347
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I suppose the number 1 isn't really a surprise, but it's not better than any of the original series stories in the top 10. Next time they do the poll it won't be top 10.

Should be in the bottom 3. Only the twin dilemma and the space pirates worse in doctor who history than rings of akhaten imo of course. No surprise to see day of the doctor winning though. The top ten is ok even though some of my personal favourites the daleks,tomb of the cybermen,the web of fear, the war games,the daemons,terror of the zygons,silence in the library 2 parter and the impossible astronut 2 parter are not in it.
  • Options
    joe_000joe_000 Posts: 525
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No surprise with day of the doctors position considering its one of the most recent episodes and the 50th episode ( one of two produced in 2013?? ) interesting that all others are either classic or produced by RTD team.
  • Options
    JCRJCR Posts: 24,076
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Rings was an unsuccessful attempt at doing something different, I can't hate it for that. Neither it nor Fear Her are anywhere near as bad as any of the Trial season or the first 7th Doctor series. Victory of the Daleks is the worst post 2005 DW episode in my 'umble opinion.
  • Options
    daveyboy7472daveyboy7472 Posts: 16,418
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Yes it should, it's by far the worst Doctor Who story ever made imo and the only surprise that it finished as high as it has. I'd watch any of the stories below it anyday, even The Twin Dilemma, at least it didn't have that goddamn awful singing in it.

Paradise Towers should be in the Bottom Ten as well. Again, would watch any of the other stories in that bottom half of the list before it.

Also disagree about Day Of The Doctor being top. It's recent showing has obviously elevated it to that position but it shouldn't be anywhere near the Top Ten. I could name at least 20-30 stories that are better than that, it was average at best.

The rest of the Top Ten I can mainly agree on. Talons is not a personal fave but I see it's popular with some people. Not quite so sure about Remembrance Of The Daleks being a Top Ten story. It's not an awful story by any means but I'd have it as a Top Thirty rather than a Top Ten story.

IMO off course.

:)
  • Options
    Tom TitTom Tit Posts: 2,554
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not a criticism, so much as it's an inevitability: there's always two flaws with this type of poll: contemporary bias and the system of the voting itself. When people are scoring and rating every story then the winner will always be the one that everyone puts on the list, even though it may not necessarily be top of many. The 50th anniversary was always likely to be that episode.

Of course, very few people really feel it's the best story or even their favourite but it was fresh enough and enough of a landmark that everyone would give it a mention (well, not me :P I didn't really like it).

The more interesting thing to me is in seeing the changes from the last poll. For example, Tom Baker's clear and easy rise back to the top of the list. I've always had something of an eye rolling reaction when being told that David Tennant was the most popular Doctor Who. Doctor Who was at its most popular when Tom Baker was in it and was watched by a huge percentage of the population. New viewers also love him when they begin to explore the classic series, which many of those of an age who started watching Doctor Who with David Tennant as the Doctor will have branched out into doing in the last few years. It's pretty easy to see that a large percentage of those would have Tom Baker perhaps no 2 in their list behind either David Tennant or Matt Smith, whereas, in the way of fan schizms, many of them will be strongly for either 10 or 11 and perhaps pretty strongly against the other. Only Tennant or Smith will be top of any particular list (about 50 / 50 judging from the percentages) but Tom Baker will have been no 2 on most of them. Divide and conquer in pure, statistical form.

As time goes on, the aggregate always ends up favouring Tom Baker, and that's because everyone likes him. He IS the most popular in the truest sense. 'Most popular' doesn't mean 'the favourite of the largest amount of people', it means the one liked by most people.

Also interesting will be seeing where stories like 'The End of Time' end up, and the various season finales. These event episodes tend to be very overrated, the biggest recipients of contemporary bias (as 'Day of the Doctor' shows). As time goes on I expect them to drop at a fairly steady pace down the list. Already Bad Wolf seems to have dropped from the top ten, which it placed in the last time they did this poll.

Remembrance has done well from all the Moffat boosting the last couple of years :P
  • Options
    gslam2gslam2 Posts: 1,503
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well we now can see the effect of Moffat writing many more episodes - while only doing one a year they all made the upper reaches now there is much more of a spread. Doctor/Widow/Wardrobe only just missed the bottom 10 and other episodes like Beast Below and Lets Kill Hitler are in the bottom half.

Generally a lot of the RTD era has dropped (though Bad Wolf/Parting only fell out of the top 10 to number 13) so it will be interesting to see if the same happens with the Matt Smith stories as other than Day (which I agree won't be number 1 next time) only Eleventh Hour (at 17) and Vincent (at 27) make the top 30.

I actually thought Tennant had done ok - only just losing to the most recent Doctor which suggests his popularity is pretty intact. Particularly given that almost 50% of the voters were over 36 and therefore you'd assume more likely to vote for classic era stories and Doctors.

Sarah Jane dominant in the top companions once again though Donna & Rose at 2 and 3 shows that they are holding onto a lot of their popularity.
  • Options
    MulettMulett Posts: 9,057
    Forum Member
    I still cannot understand why The Caves of Androzani scores so highly in these polls. I've always considered it a good rather than great story and certainly not (for me) one of the best classic stories ever.

Some sweeping differences, too, between this poll and the recent Radio Times readers poll. I think comparing the two does show up the differences in opinions between Who fans and more general viewers.
  • Options
    johnnysaucepnjohnnysaucepn Posts: 6,775
    Forum Member
    Sometimes these things, statistically speaking, only measure whether popular opinion is consistent. If 50% love and 50% hate an episode, it'll come near the middle, which isn't really a clear picture. I suspect that's the case with many of the latter Moffat episodes.

But a Moffat script with RTD characters? That ticks a wider range of people's boxes.
  • Options
    The GathererThe Gatherer Posts: 2,723
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The_Judge_ wrote: »

Indeed, discounting the 50th Anniversary story, which as others have said, is unlikely to be so high in future polls, no Moffat era episodes whatsoever in the Top 10. Yet two Moffat written stories from RTD's era. Which supports what a lot of us have been saying: Moffat was good in the RTD era, but not good as show runner. You are quite right, they should ditch Moffat now.
  • Options
    Benjamin SiskoBenjamin Sisko Posts: 1,921
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Love the jumps in logic of people here. So what that it's only the Anniversary that's in the Top 10? Some eras haven't made it in at all. Does that make the Verity Lambert era a failure? Or the Barry Letts era? Heck, Graham William's era is only represented once, does that make him a retrospective failure too?

There's such a thing as looking far too much into these results in order to bash the current showrunner. Fact of the matter is, it's still received well in the eyes of the public. I mean, Remembrance is on that list and that's when the show was effectively starting to die.

It's too unpredictable to read into it.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    But a Moffat script with RTD characters? That ticks a wider range of people's boxes.

I think that's pretty much what I feel is the main difference between the two - RTD's Who was very character driven whilst Moffat's is much more about the story.

So ask Moffat to write a story for characters RTD has already created and established, and you'll end up with something special.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sack him now!

and oh wait a second...is that Matt Smith beating David Tennant? I demand a recount!

The outrage!

Yes, a tremendous result for Smith - the actor playing the current Doctor for most of the past 5 years beating a previous Doctor by a massive 0.8%. And yet Smith has only one story in the Top 10, and even that included his predecessor as a co-star, whereas the predecessor, as well as that story also had another three in the Top 10.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Love the jumps in logic of people here. So what that it's only the Anniversary that's in the Top 10? Some eras haven't made it in at all. Does that make the Verity Lambert era a failure? Or the Barry Letts era? Heck, Graham William's era is only represented once, does that make him a retrospective failure too?

There's such a thing as looking far too much into these results in order to bash the current showrunner. Fact of the matter is, it's still received well in the eyes of the public. I mean, Remembrance is on that list and that's when the show was effectively starting to die.

It's too unpredictable to read into it.

Not sure I follow your logic - of course Day has done well because of the mix of actors and monsters in it, the fact that it was the 50th Anniversary show, the fact that is was longer than average so had more in it and the fact that it was so recent. It cannot be held up as representative of Moffat's era, which, in terms of this Top 10 (I haven't seen the whole list yet so don't know how well the Moffat era has done overall) is a failure. And even more so in that in polls recent stories always do better from the fact that they are fresher in people's minds (although, again, I don't know if DWM compensated for this in some way).
  • Options
    The_abbottThe_abbott Posts: 26,960
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I wish I had voted now and given the number 1 story a zero. It was terrible!
  • Options
    Michael_EveMichael_Eve Posts: 14,461
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You all carry on with your Tennant/Smith RTD/Moffat stuff, again, I just wanna say....

Hartnell 9th?!! Ridiculous >:(

(Well, he's in MY top 5.)

:p
  • Options
    bokononbokonon Posts: 2,370
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes, a tremendous result for Smith - the actor playing the current Doctor for most of the past 5 years beating a previous Doctor by a massive 0.8%. And yet Smith has only one story in the Top 10, and even that included his predecessor as a co-star, whereas the predecessor, as well as that story also had another three in the Top 10.

This (ironic) argument might have some purchase if this was a poll of the general public rather than DWM readers. The plain fact is that most Who fans are nostalgic and currency is actually a hindrance. So in that regard both Smith and Tennant have done well. Even with less competition I very much doubt either Colin Baker (who I liked) and McCoy (who I didn't) would have finished in the top three at the end of their runs.
  • Options
    daveyboy7472daveyboy7472 Posts: 16,418
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Mulett wrote: »
    I still cannot understand why The Caves of Androzani scores so highly in these polls. I've always considered it a good rather than great story and certainly not (for me) one of the best classic stories ever.

Some sweeping differences, too, between this poll and the recent Radio Times readers poll. I think comparing the two does show up the differences in opinions between Who fans and more general viewers.

As always when someone asks this question, I feel the need to answer it with the opening post of the Thread I done on previously.

http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1736787&highlight=

I understand you questioning a story in this way as I have similar views on Talons Of Weng-Chiang and Genesis Of The Daleks. I consider them good but not great in the same way you feel about Androzani. I guess it's down to personal taste in the end. It's like Heinz Baked Beans. Supposed to be the nations fave Baked Beans but I know there's people out there who don't like them!

As for the Poll, I'm surprised The Web Of Fear isn't in the Top Ten as well, being a popular recent release. In fact, it's sad there's no 60's stories in there at all.

:)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    You all carry on with your Tennant/Smith RTD/Moffat stuff, again, I just wanna say....

Hartnell 9th?!! Ridiculous >:(

(Well, he's in MY top 5.)

:p

1. Tom Baker (21.69%)
    2. Matt Smith (15.57%)
    3. David Tennant (15.49%)
    4. Patrick Troughton (12.09%)
    5. Jon Pertwee (8.72%)
    6. Peter Davison (6.11%)
    7. Sylvester McCoy (5.38%)
    8. Christopher Eccleston (4.39%)
    9. William Hartnell (4.04%)
    10. Paul McGann (3.31%)
    11. Colin Baker (2.52%)
    12. John Hurt (0.68%)

IMO, there is something very dodgy about any poll that puts McCoy above Eccleston, Hartnell, McGann, Colin Baker or Hurt.
  • Options
    gslam2gslam2 Posts: 1,503
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The War Games is the top 60's story at 12. Web was 16th and Power Of The Daleks 19th