10 year old boy killed in slurry accident

Louise32Louise32 Posts: 6,784
Forum Member
A ten year old boy has been killed in a slurry accident in Northern Ireland.

An adult has also been injured in it.

Sad. What can be done to ensure these types of accidents don't happen?

Comments

• NightFox_DancerNightFox_Dancer Posts: 14,740
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Link: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-27746259

Gosh that's so awful. What a dreadful way to die. :(
  • Louise32Louise32 Posts: 6,784
    Forum Member
    Thanks for posting the link.

Other adult is critically injured. Hopefully he will be ok.

This is after the tragedy in Hillsborough when a father and his sons died trying to rescue their pet dog.
  • kippehkippeh Posts: 6,655
    Forum Member
    I'm guessing that it is the hydrogen sulfide (H2S) that will overcome them very quickly entering confined spaces such as this. Tragic.
  • koantemplationkoantemplation Posts: 101,293
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Looks like it is time for a remake of the safety film 'Apaches'.
  • Black HughBlack Hugh Posts: 1,070
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Awful sad for the family.

I think the hope was that following the recent tragedy with the Ulster player and his family people may have taken greater safety precautions, but unfortunately not every event can be legislated for.
  • CravenHavenCravenHaven Posts: 13,953
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Louise32 wrote: »
    What can be done to ensure these types of accidents don't happen?
    not taking slurry tanks as a challenge to your scuba-diving skills?
  • FizixFizix Posts: 16,932
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    not taking slurry tanks as a challenge to your scuba-diving skills?

I doubt they were pissing about tbh.

Anyway, this is terrible, what was a 10 year old boy doing in there/doing to end up in there?
  • darkislanddarkisland Posts: 3,178
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What a dreadful situation. The poor lad's family must be going through all kinds of of hell.

Awful.
  • Black HughBlack Hugh Posts: 1,070
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Fizix wrote: »

Anyway, this is terrible, what was a 10 year old boy doing in there/doing to end up in there?

There's few details. Generally though young boys like to follow, and help, their daddies on a farm. Very sad.
  • FizixFizix Posts: 16,932
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Black Hugh wrote: »
    There's few details. Generally though young boys like to follow, and help, their daddies on a farm. Very sad.

This is roughly what I was thinking, potentially dad was cleaning and he followed in or something. I'm sure what happened will come out, it sounds like quite an unpleasent scenario.
  • hackjohackjo Posts: 648
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    How awful. :-(
  • U96U96 Posts: 13,937
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I can't understand why people don't wear respirators in these conditions.It's happened so many times on farms.
    Very sad.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 32,379
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    U96 wrote: »
    I can't understand why people don't wear respirators in these conditions.It's happened so many times on farms.
    Very sad.

Respirators wouldn't be any use, you would need BA. You want to see the regulations for entering enclosed vessels.

Very sad for the family.
    Forum Member
    woodbush wrote: »
    Respirators wouldn't be any use, you would need BA. You want to see the regulations for entering enclosed vessels.

Very sad for the family.

At our place, just to go inside something like that would require full risk assessment, method statement, permit, full BA set, tripod, winch, two top men, personal gas monitor, ATEX radios, the lot.
  • euphieeuphie Posts: 2,280
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The family were my neighbours, and I grew up with his mother. The boy who died (who was 8, not 10 as is being reported) was daddy's little helper and was obsessed with farming. He wanted to be just like hid daddy and was obsessed with farming and while I don't know what exactly happened, I'm guessing that because the father was 53, he probably thought he knew the risks of working with slurry.

Oddly, there was another tragedy in the same family involving a slurry tank a few years back. I can only hope and pray that Bertie pulls through, and I feel so sorry for the family this evening
  • U96U96 Posts: 13,937
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    kippeh wrote: »
    At our place, just to go inside something like that would require full risk assessment, method statement, permit, full BA set, tripod, winch, two top men, personal gas monitor, ATEX radios, the lot.

Same here.Can't see any of that happening on farms.I wonder how many incidents go unreported.
  • Louise32Louise32 Posts: 6,784
    Forum Member
    euphie wrote: »
    The family were my neighbours, and I grew up with his mother. The boy who died (who was 8, not 10 as is being reported) was daddy's little helper and was obsessed with farming. He wanted to be just like hid daddy and was obsessed with farming and while I don't know what exactly happened, I'm guessing that because the father was 53, he probably thought he knew the risks of working with slurry.

Oddly, there was another tragedy in the same family involving a slurry tank a few years back. I can only hope and pray that Bertie pulls through, and I feel so sorry for the family this evening

Sorry for your loss.

It is a horrible situation. Hopefully Bertie will pull through.
  • Regis MagnaeRegis Magnae Posts: 6,810
    Forum Member
    Not knowing much about farming, I would never have suspected fumes from slurry would be that toxic.
  • Hut27Hut27 Posts: 1,673
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I was once overcome by fumes just changing a Toilet Pan in an enclosed small room. I realised just in time and staggered out and lay over my van's bonnet until I recovered. I finished the job but blocked drain with a wet towel whilst working ,then transferred towel to block Pan until I was ready to seal it with water.
    Much earlier (years) we were about to go down a well, The Plumber who was training me lowered a bucket with a Candle in it down first. It went out and we didn't go down. Declared a Foul well, we put the owner on Main Water supply. You can't be too careful.
    Forum Member
    Not knowing much about farming, I would never have suspected fumes from slurry would be that toxic.

Hydrogen Sulfide, the natural gas found in sewers, chambers, septic tanks etc etc is a killer. It smells like rotten eggs, but after just a few inhalations, you don't smell it anymore because it does something to your sense of smell, so you think it is safe. You can be overcome very quickly even at low concentrations.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 134
    Forum Member
    How very sad. His poor family.
  • Susie_WilcoxSusie_Wilcox Posts: 1,014
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Fizix wrote: »

Most children who live on farms perform jobs that seem to escape the child labour law regulations that stop children being employed in the workplace elsewhere. That's a very hazardous job his father was doing, I cannot understand how there are no laws preventing children from participating in such dangerous work. Why should children living on farms be exposed to such health and safety risks when it is not tolerated in other workplace environments?
  • dee123dee123 Posts: 46,267
    Forum Member
    Most children who live on farms perform jobs that seem to escape the child labour law regulations that stop children being employed in the workplace elsewhere. That's a very hazardous job his father was doing, I cannot understand how there are no laws preventing children from participating in such dangerous work. Why should children living on farms be exposed to such health and safety risks when it is not tolerated in other workplace environments?

^^^ Stupid question.
    Black Hugh wrote: »
    Generally though young boys like to follow, and help, their daddies on a farm. Very sad.

^^^ True, correct answer.
  • viertevierte Posts: 4,286
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Surely farming is a way of life and the things farming families and children do are a world away from what City folk do. I work with quite a few women from farming families and their children of the same age get involved in all sorts of the farm and do things I wouldn't dream of letting my son get involved with but that's because that's their lifestyle, that's what they are used to and it's just normal behaviour.
  • skazzaskazza Posts: 4,983
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    vierte wrote: »
    Surely farming is a way of life and the things farming families and children do are a world away from what City folk do. I work with quite a few women from farming families and their children of the same age get involved in all sorts of the farm and do things I wouldn't dream of letting my son get involved with but that's because that's their lifestyle, that's what they are used to and it's just normal behaviour.

Does that excuse the lack of H&S precautions though? I don't think it does.

You can't fall back on 'It's what we've always done' if 'what you've always done' isn't safe.